Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,750,822 Views | 37570 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by prl81
austinag1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The secondary market is what it is. Use it if you wish. I have not. What agitates me more than the secondary market is liquor stores who no longer operate as retailers, but rather an extension of the secondary market. I will not pay $500 for BTAC, but I can find that 10 min from my house.
Fall92
AG
Tried the GD BiB last night. Is it me or is it a little malty? Was also expecting more oak from a 13 yr.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
WES2006AG
AG
austinag1997 said:

The secondary market is what it is. Use it if you wish. I have not. What agitates me more than the secondary market is liquor stores who no longer operate as retailers, but rather an extension of the secondary market. I will not pay $500 for BTAC, but I can find that 10 min from my house.
Liquor stores charging above retail is by far the worst thing to happen to bourbon over the last several years.
Naveronski
AG
V8Aggie
AG
People that consistently flip for profit is why the stores only let me buy 1 bottle of a good bourbon when I am lucky enough to find it.

The secondary market is also causing liquor stores to sell $30 bourbons for $200. Ridiculous and it pisses off most distillers.

If you come here wanting to make a buck then we will not help you (as it only hurts us). You clearly haven't been in this long enough to experience our frustration. It's not as silly as you say. Take this as new-found knowledge if you really want to get in on the bourbon craze and enjoy the glass.

I'd recommend going to a bar and sample several bottles to figure out your pallet. Price does not equal quality. Go buy a bottle of Old Grandad 114 for $19 and let us know your thoughts (seriously). I did a blind tasting recently of 5 highly allocated and rare (not to mention expensive bottles) mixed in with more reasonable easy to find bottles. Guess which I ranked last? Yep the most expensive and most sought after bottle of the lot (GTS 18). All 5 bottles were from the same mashbill as well.

I'll admit to having a few unopened bottles of certain hard to find items, but I use those to trade with other enthusiasts for something I may not be able to find myself. I also have opened bottles of hard to find bourbons sitting on my bar.

Naveronski
AG
RK said:

prolly also the guy that walks in and buys all the .22lr and 5.56...

Only when I can get to Walmart and Academy early enough to camp out.
dummble
AG
I was in Greenville SC earlier this week and the guy I was with wanted to go to a bunch of liquor stores. the bourbon is a bit more expensive there, but the tequila is cheaper than in texas. Also every store had the Lagavulin 12yr cask strength and I am kicking myself for coming home without buying it. Anyone have a line on that in Houston?
tlfw378
AG
There is a Scotch thread just down the front page....maybe check in there.
John Francis Donaghy
Naveronski said:

third coast.. said:

There are still plenty of secondary groups

And they're evil, apparently.

See? You're learning already.
Sazerac
AG
Galleria TW has handles of Buffalo Trace.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Liquor stores charging above retail is by far the worst thing to happen to bourbon over the last several years.
This x 1,000,000.
Fall92
AG
Fall92 said:

Tried the GD BiB last night. Is it me or is it a little malty? Was also expecting more oak from a 13 yr.
So apparently that tasting note that was driving me crazy is peanuts.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
mazag08
AG
Liquor store near me was pedaling some absolute nonsense before Christmas. I'd never even heard of the bottle he claimed was rare. Looked it up on the distiller app and it had mediocre reviews and people claiming to buy it for $75-$90 and saying it's worth no more than $50. This guy tried to sell it to me for $160 claiming $120 was his cost.

I told him to pound sand.

To be fair, his store blows and everything is overpriced.
Sazerac
AG
Yes it's very nutty. Had the same negative reaction.
G Martin 87
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I asked him to bring the Michter's and the WP SiB Samurai. I'll report back with impressions.
The dinner party was last night, with the following ryes on hand for tasting, by request from the collection of one of the other guests:

Michter's Barrel Strength (123.8 proof)
Whistlepig Single Barrel Select (Samurai Scientist Hokus Pokus pick, 105.5 proof)
Willett Cask Strength (110.2 proof)

Everyone who suggested Michter's, thank you! This was my favorite of the three by a big margin. This starts strong of course, but then finishes extremely smoothly. Very tasty indeed.
The WP was a select pick for one of our local stores. This was very good, as well. The Willett was honestly a disappointment for me. Too "grain-y" for my taste, almost grassy.

Thanks again!
Aggie Pharmer
AG
I picked up a bottle of Early Times BiB yesterday and was really impressed with it. At their price point, it makes it hard not to keep going back to it in the future.
tripperwill
AG
Agreed, it's an extremely solid daily drinker
dmart90
AG
I had a pour of Garrison Brothers Single Barrel on Friday. It was actually pretty solid. I was pretty surprised. All my previous experiences with their products were terrible.
RenoAg
Just opened a bottle of Blantons SFTB. I don't care if you boys call me a tater. I'll even agree it isn't the most complex. But this stuff is a delicious 128 proof punch in the mouth.
RaylanGivens
RenoAg said:

Just opened a bottle of Blantons SFTB. I don't care if you boys call me a tater. I'll even agree it isn't the most complex. But this stuff is a delicious 128 proof punch in the mouth.
Absolutely fabulous stuff, wish it was more readily attainable. Where did you acquire yours?
RenoAg
Got my SFTB 5 years ago possibly through a group on the secondary market before such things were driven even further underground. Maybe not. My mind is a bit hazy on the details. Possibly a result of memory loss to protect the innocent.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
I've got a bottle of SFTB I'd be willing to trade for a BTAC. I'm in the Austin area.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Same!
spongeboob_squaresharts
AG
Stumbled on a local whiskey bar that had Pappy Van Winkle 10 and 15 years available. Amazing even at $75 a pour.
V8Aggie
AG
bryan.walker94 said:

Stumbled on a local whiskey bar that had Pappy Van Winkle 10 and 15 years available. Amazing even at $75 a pour.
Not being a jerk, but there is no Pappy 10... Old Rip Van Winkle is the 10... Lot B is the 12.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Not a whale, but Knob Creek 11yr has been showing up at TW in the Tine. Mixed in are some 15yrs. Picked up 2 15's and the store clerk said "Aren't those 11yrs delicious?"
"I wouldn't know about the 11's but the 15's are."
"We don't have 15yrs."

I showed her the '04 date and she was surprised.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I've got a 16 year Knob Creek at cask strength I keep on hand to show people what an over oaked bourbon tastes like.
V8Aggie
AG
The oakier the better !
aggiederelict
I've had them all and the Lot B is my favorite.
DuncanAg
AG
Anyone ever gotten a bad Blanton's bottle? Second time I've tried my bottle and it's got a distinct earthy taste to it...it's not right. Tried it side-by-side last night with my buddies bottle and definitely can tell the difference. I know it's SB, but still. Dumped 11-12-19 Warehouse H Rick 39 Barrel 324.
John Francis Donaghy
AlaskanAg99 said:

Not a whale, but Knob Creek 11yr has been showing up at TW in the Tine. Mixed in are some 15yrs. Picked up 2 15's and the store clerk said "Aren't those 11yrs delicious?"
"I wouldn't know about the 11's but the 15's are."
"We don't have 15yrs."

I showed her the '04 date and she was surprised.

I don't know the details of these particular bottles, but just because it was distilled 15 years ago, doesn't mean it was aged for 15 years. They may have tanked it in steel to save it for a later release.
John Francis Donaghy
third coast.. said:

Do they tank single barrels? Seems extremely inefficient and cost prohibitive.

They actually do. After I posted that I went Googling to see if Beam tanks Knob Creek. Found an article from 2015 that says they do.

Quote:

Beam Suntory, which makes Jim Beam and Maker's Mark among others, uses [steel tanks] after aging for single-barrel products at the Jim Beam Distillery in Clermont including Knob Creek Single Barrel and Jim Beam Single Barrel, spokesman Dan Cohen said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/25/stainless-steel-bourbons-barrel/29312081/
Post removed:
by user
MJ20/20
AG
Thanks for posting that article. Very interesting. Some times even the fine print doesn't tell all of the story.
First Page Last Page
Page 411 of 1074

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.