Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,833,922 Views | 38369 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by rca21978
Post removed:
by user
SweaterVest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

third coast.. said:

Do they tank single barrels? Seems extremely inefficient and cost prohibitive.

They actually do. After I posted that I went Googling to see if Beam tanks Knob Creek. Found an article from 2015 that says they do.

That is interesting, thanks for posting. On bottles that list the "barreled on" and "bottled on" date, do you think the bottled date reflects when it goes in the steel tank or goes in the bottle? I'd think it should reflect how long the bottle has actually aged in the barrel but as thirdcoast said above, labels lie.
StEdsCOOG
DuncanAg said:

Anyone ever gotten a bad Blanton's bottle? Second time I've tried my bottle and it's got a distinct earthy taste to it...it's not right. Tried it side-by-side last night with my buddies bottle and definitely can tell the difference. I know it's SB, but still. Dumped 11-12-19 Warehouse H Rick 39 Barrel 324.
I have two unopened bottles from 11/12 Warehouse H Rick 27. Hopefully it's just your bottles.
John Francis Donaghy
SweaterVest said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

third coast.. said:

Do they tank single barrels? Seems extremely inefficient and cost prohibitive.

They actually do. After I posted that I went Googling to see if Beam tanks Knob Creek. Found an article from 2015 that says they do.

That is interesting, thanks for posting. On bottles that list the "barreled on" and "bottled on" date, do you think the bottled date reflects when it goes in the steel tank or goes in the bottle? I'd think it should reflect how long the bottle has actually aged in the barrel but as thirdcoast said above, labels lie.

Not sure you'd have any way of knowing without talking to the folks at the distillery who did it. I don't think there is any standard convention that they follow in regard to the bottling date and what it actually means. Not that I've ever heard of anyway.

On the upside, if something was tanked, it means the distillers didn't think it could get any better with additional barrel aging. So you're almost definitely getting something pretty damned good.
V8Aggie
AG
DuncanAg said:

Anyone ever gotten a bad Blanton's bottle? Second time I've tried my bottle and it's got a distinct earthy taste to it...it's not right. Tried it side-by-side last night with my buddies bottle and definitely can tell the difference. I know it's SB, but still. Dumped 11-12-19 Warehouse H Rick 39 Barrel 324.
E-mail the distillery. Give them the information on the bottle and ask if they've heard of any problems. Their folks are usually responsive and helpful. I wouldn't ask for anything, but maybe you could get something cool offered to you. Who knows.
Elmo Lincoln
AG
DuncanAg said:

I've had Blanton's on several occasions where I've noticed a similar earthy profile. Almost to the point that it has manure notes on the nose. Other times not so much.

I find the good pours of Blanton's to be a solid bourbon (although I prefer Eagle Rare), but it just seems strange that such a sought after whiskey can be so variable in quality.

tlfw378
AG
Single barreled bourbons will always have variations in experience. I haven't had multiple opened at the same time for direct comparison between bottles. Additionally, I have found my mood to be a big factor in how I experience a bourbon from one day to the next. If I'm in a great mood and hanging out with my close friends, everything poured seems to be a good experience. On the flip side, my Ags don't finish victorious on Saturday, most everything has a sour taste.
Fall92
AG
Came across three very expensive unicorns in the wild today but decided to pass on them all- EC18 ($399), GTS ($399) and WLW ($499).
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Chipotlemonger
AG
Is Elijah Craig barrel proof a "unicorn" in that same sense, Fall92? Saw one over the weekend for $70.
Post removed:
by user
SpiderDude
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Is Elijah Craig barrel proof a "unicorn" in that same sense, Fall92? Saw one over the weekend for $70.

I've been able to get 2 in the wild in the past year or so for MSRP. I take little nips so it's lasted a while. And $70 is a good price for that. You should have jumped on it.
Fall92
AG
I wouldn't consider ECBP a unicorn. I've bought three in the last 12 mos or so. Maybe the others I mentioned aren't unicorns but I haven't ever seen EC18 sitting on a shelf and the BTACs are very hard to come by- and expensive.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Chipotlemonger
AG
I had never seen it myself before in the wild so figured I'd ask and get some data points. Thanks for the input.
Johnsy3
AG
Snagged a bottle of Booker's Small Batch (2019-1) and Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye today
Fall92
AG
Btw ECBP is awesome and def worth the $70. One of my favorites.
FriedTex
AG
ECBP is on every shelf in South Dakota. 60-70 bucks
Wheatables02
AG
Just saw an 11 year old Four Roses private selection, with gold wrapped top, fetch $250 on secondary today. I may have to unload mine.
mazag08
AG
Fall92 said:

Came across three very expensive unicorns in the wild today but decided to pass on them all- EC18 ($399), GTS ($399) and WLW ($499).

Minor complaint.. can we stop abbreviating names?

And even though it would be a tough pill to swallow to pay that much from the Elijah Craig 18 (my brother and I bought it for my dad in 2004 for like $75), it's well worth it. Easily one of my favorites all time. Nothing has ever seemed to top it, though Eagle Rare 17 cones close.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Agree I buy it $70 and under when I can
SpiderDude
AG
FriedTex said:

ECBP is on every shelf in South Dakota. 60-70 bucks

Yeah... it was stacked like a dozen deep at a Costco in Tacoma, WA when I visited last summer. It's amazing what's readily available in parts of the country. But hey...at least we have plenty of Garrison Brothers./sarcasm
Naveronski
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Just saw an 11 year old Four Roses private selection, with gold wrapped top, fetch $250 on secondary today. I may have to unload mine.

third coast.. said:

No they are not evil, but this is a thread of people that drink, not people that flip. Many many great deals have come from this thread. Bottles under secondary. Noone here is trying to take advantage of anyone else and the folks here dont look at this as a way to find the quick flips or the new hot item. Most dont have an issue with it, lord knows I've sold my fair share of w12, but this is not what this particular thread is about. Which is why you wont get help on what to flip.
Wheatables02
AG
Naveronski said:

Wheatables02 said:

third coast.. said:

No they are not evil, but this is a thread of people that drink, not people that flip. Many many great deals have come from this thread. Bottles under secondary. Noone here is trying to take advantage of anyone else and the folks here dont look at this as a way to find the quick flips or the new hot item. Most dont have an issue with it, lord knows I've sold my fair share of w12, but this is not what this particular thread is about. Which is why you wont get help on what to flip.

I'm making a joke, hence the radioactive symbol. Its so stupid. I've had the bottle for over 5 years sitting here with some others and all of a sudden its that much?
Post removed:
by user
John Francis Donaghy
Naveronski said:

Wheatables02 said:

third coast.. said:

Selling something you already have because the value has skyrocketed since you bought it is different than clearing store shelves of bottles with the intended purpose of reselling them for your own profit.
htxag09
AG
IMO, it still depends. Sure, it's your bottle to do whatever the hell you want with it. But people have found some semi-rare stuff at decent prices, brought them here, and sold at well under secondary market to "share the wealth." If you bought those bottles, sat on them, now you are selling because the value reached a certain point, that's ****ty. Not calling anyone out specifically, just a hypothetical. And again, just my opinion.
Naveronski
AG
htxag09 said:

IMO, it still depends. Sure, it's your bottle to do whatever the hell you want with it. But people have found some semi-rare stuff at decent prices, brought them here, and sold at well under secondary market to "share the wealth." If you bought those bottles, sat on them, now you are selling because the value reached a certain point, that's ****ty. Not calling anyone out specifically, just a hypothetical. And again, just my opinion.

But yet this thread is okay with it, sometimes:
Leanderthal said:

Spec's corporate sent my neighborhood location a bottle of William Laure Weller barrel proof (not sure if they are all bp) to sell me for $118 (I am not an MFBarnes sock). I got the call this afternoon, and I just went and bought the bottle.

A brief google search shows secondary prices that are ridiculous. How much return on my investment can I expect if I want to sell to a local Austin buyer paying with cash?

Wheatables02 said:

Leanderthal said:

Thanks for the offer, but I am looking for cash on this transaction.
$600 ish
third coast.. said:

id give you $400 and a shipping label and venmo you tonight if you will ship it

Kinda hypocritical.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Naveronski said:

htxag09 said:

Leanderthal said:

Spec's corporate sent my neighborhood location a bottle of William Laure Weller barrel proof (not sure if they are all bp) to sell me for $118 (I am not an MFBarnes sock). I got the call this afternoon, and I just went and bought the bottle.

A brief google search shows secondary prices that are ridiculous. How much return on my investment can I expect if I want to sell to a local Austin buyer paying with cash?

Wheatables02 said:

Leanderthal said:

$600 ish
third coast.. said:

Kinda hypocritical.
Sorry you got dunked on and are still butthurt but please don't ruin this thread.
htxag09
AG
Don't think you're understanding my statement. If John finds a bottle of pappy 20 year at specs for $200, buys it, comes here and spots for $1500. Is what it is. I'm fine with that.

Say John finds pappy 20 year at specs for $200, buys it, doesn't want it but know someone here will, comes and sells it to Mike for $300. He still makes a profit but it's obvious johns intention is to share the experience with someone who normally wouldn't have the chance. Now, say Mike still has said pappy 20 year, sees the value is $2000, and sells it for $2000. That's ****ed up.
MJ20/20
AG
Take this for what it's worth, if you are the type that self reports to the Sheriff's office for driving 36 in a 35 then you may not want to read any further.

Restaurants, especially mom and pop establishments can be an extremely beneficial and consistent source for good bourbon. Without going into detail, there are ways to bend but not necessarily break the law. Establishing relationships with these people, and not going insane on quantities, has produced great results.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
agcrock2005
AG
I wish Texags had a "hide all from __________" function like Facebook...
V8Aggie
AG
Naveronski said:

htxag09 said:

Leanderthal said:

Wheatables02 said:

Leanderthal said:

$600 ish
third coast.. said:

Kinda hypocritical.

You've had people, including myself, give you good suggestions after letting you know our thoughts on buying for resale purposes only. Take your licks and move on man.
Sixdrakes
AG
Fall92 said:

Did you come across those in the Houston area?
trouble
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I wish Texags had a "hide all from __________" function like Facebook...

They do. It's "ignore user"
First Page Last Page
Page 412 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.