Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,848,420 Views | 38490 Replies | Last: 40 sec ago by ConfidentAg
AggieAuditor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found some EH Taylor Small Batch at the Deb's at Parmer and McNeil if you're in the Austin area. They had 4, so 3 after I left.
Fall92
AG
Sixdrakes said:

Fall92 said:

Came across three very expensive unicorns in the wild today but decided to pass on them all- EC18 ($399), GTS ($399) and WLW ($499).
Did you come across those in the Houston area?
I did. I offered $700 for both the ER and the GTS but the guy wouldn't budge. I'm headed to NY today and have a place I frequent that Has a good but expensive selection so I opted for the opportunity to spend my money there instead.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Robert C. Christian
AG
V8Aggie said:

Naveronski said:

htxag09 said:

IMO, it still depends. Sure, it's your bottle to do whatever the hell you want with it. But people have found some semi-rare stuff at decent prices, brought them here, and sold at well under secondary market to "share the wealth." If you bought those bottles, sat on them, now you are selling because the value reached a certain point, that's ****ty. Not calling anyone out specifically, just a hypothetical. And again, just my opinion.

But yet this thread is okay with it, sometimes:
Leanderthal said:

Spec's corporate sent my neighborhood location a bottle of William Laure Weller barrel proof (not sure if they are all bp) to sell me for $118 (I am not an MFBarnes sock). I got the call this afternoon, and I just went and bought the bottle.

A brief google search shows secondary prices that are ridiculous. How much return on my investment can I expect if I want to sell to a local Austin buyer paying with cash?

Wheatables02 said:

Leanderthal said:

Thanks for the offer, but I am looking for cash on this transaction.
$600 ish
third coast.. said:

id give you $400 and a shipping label and venmo you tonight if you will ship it

Kinda hypocritical.

You've had people, including myself, give you good suggestions after letting you know our thoughts on buying for resale purposes only. Take your licks and move on man.

I have nothing to add to this discussion. I just want point out Elsa's hair goes through her arm instead of over it.
DPlainview
AG
I've now watched that 30 times and I have to disagree with you. It's clear it flips up and over at first and then snakes over and falls at the end.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Might be the gif quality but it definitely goes through her arm in the movie.

Source 1: Am dad
Source 2: https://www.screenrant.com/frozen-movie-mistakes/amp/
the dude10
AG
This thread is officially off the rails.
Sixdrakes
AG
Fall92 said:

Sixdrakes said:

Fall92 said:

Came across three very expensive unicorns in the wild today but decided to pass on them all- EC18 ($399), GTS ($399) and WLW ($499).
Did you come across those in the Houston area?
I did. I offered $700 for both the ER and the GTS but the guy wouldn't budge. I'm headed to NY today and have a place I frequent that Has a good but expensive selection so I opted for the opportunity to spend my money there instead.
I sent you a PM
V8Aggie
AG
the dude10 said:

Sorry guys!

Back to Bourbon!!

I picked up a 375ml of the Woodford Double Oaked. I was extremely impressed and loved it. I finished up the evening sipping on Stagg Jr. (one of my favorites) in bed while the wife was asleep. No idea what I did but during my sip I managed to get some in my nasal passages from my mouth and damn near went into convulsions. I am ok since the wife didn't wake up.
MW03
AG
V8Aggie said:

the dude10 said:

Sorry guys!

Back to Bourbon!!

I picked up a 375ml of the Woodford Double Oaked. I was extremely impressed and loved it. I finished up the evening sipping on Stagg Jr. (one of my favorites) in bed while the wife was asleep. No idea what I did but during my sip I managed to get some in my nasal passages from my mouth and damn near went into convulsions. I am ok since the wife didn't wake up.
SpiderDude
AG
Killing some old bottles this week aka "Spring Cleaning". Drank the last of my Garrison Brothers (not going to miss it or replace it) and Bulleit BP. Picked up a Peerless Bourbon today to give that a try. Figured that was a suitable replacement.
MJ20/20
AG
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the peerless. I've been wanting to try it, but haven't seen it in a while.
John Francis Donaghy
SpiderDude said:

Killing some old bottles this week aka "Spring Cleaning". Drank the last of my Garrison Brothers (not going to miss it or replace it) and Bulleit BP. Picked up a Peerless Bourbon today to give that a try. Figured that was a suitable replacement.

Garrison does make a decent Old Fashioned. The super oak flavor basically makes it taste like a barrel aged cocktail. Just in case tou come into any more in the future.
Fall92
AG
Picked up a Michter's Barrel Strength Rye but passed on Lot B for $850, ORVW for $695 and the 27 year Heaven Hill which has been there for over a year at $1450. Ironically, this place's wine prices are decent and picked up a nice California cab for $25 and a Los Vascos for $12.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
MW03
AG
Anyone else try the Woodford malted chocolate rye? It's growing on me, especially on the rocks.
MW03
AG
What do you guys think about the single barrel or other offerings by the look likes of Jack Daniels and Jim Beam?
V8Aggie
AG
MW03 said:

What do you guys think about the single barrel or other offerings by the look likes of Jack Daniels and Jim Beam?

The Jack Daniels single barrel rye is fantastic!
SpiderDude
AG
MJ20/20 said:

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the peerless. I've been wanting to try it, but haven't seen it in a while.

Nose: spice, cut grass, faint leather
Palate: light cherry/dark fruit, barrel spice, some building heat, bit of pecan
Finish: tanned leather, mild Kentucky hug, bitter herb

I'd give it 3.5/5. It's definitely unique in the taste profile to me. It's also fairly smooth for 109.5 proof. Reading about their sweet mash process is pretty cool.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

Anyone else try the Woodford malted chocolate rye? It's growing on me, especially on the rocks.

I have a bottle but haven't cracked it and might soon be trading it.
SpiderDude
AG
Fall92 said:

Picked up a Michter's Barrel Strength Rye but passed on Lot B for $850, ORVW for $695 and the 27 year Heaven Hill which has been there for over a year at $1450. Ironically, this place's wine prices are decent and picked up a nice California cab for $25 and a Los Vascos for $12.

I need to find a "backup bottle" of Michter's BSR... that **** is allsome!
mazag08
AG
MW03 said:

I've been meaning to pick it up. Woodford, to me, has fantastic releases. My favorite was the Straight Malt.
mazag08
AG
Just read the Old Forrester is updating their single barrel selections. The 90 proof will be gone and replaced with 100 proof at $50 recommended retail price. There will also be barrel strength at $80. Initially 200 and 150 bottles to be expected respectively.

Big Old Forrester fan here. Highly underrated stuff.
showtime
AG
Big fan of the barrel-proof Single Barrel JD.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

They do. It's "ignore user"
Done...thank you.
RenoAg
Ok hypothetical scenario here. Suppose back in 2013 RenoAg had a spare $500 burning a hole in his pocket and had a buddy in Louisiana who had a buddy working for a liquor distributor there. And he hypothetically offered to get RenoAg a bottle of pvw20 through that connection for that $500. And sure enough the cajun mafia did what it does and the transaction occurred. 2013 RenoAg had every intention of cracking open and drinking that bottle on a special occasion at some point. So it sat in his bunker. Then over the years RenoAg was able to have pours of all the Van Winkles. The 20 and 23 and Rye (the best of the Pvw bunch but that's just extraneous info) at bars. Orvw, lot b and 15 via opening up his own bottles. And over time RenoAg starts to feel that he'd rather have the $1300-$1500 dollars in his pocket for other things instead of cracking open his bottle of pvw20. Because while the 20 is very good, it's just kinda old hat at this point. Does selling his bottle of pvw20 and keeping the profit make Reno a bad guy? Does he owe anything to his buddy who hooked him up with the bottle originally? I'd say no on both counts. Because in 2013 there was no way to know the value of the bottle wouldn't go down. Felt like a bubble then too. And while the original intent was to drink it, sometimes circumstances and perspectives on life change. Nothing wrong with that.
the dude10
AG
I would say you are in the clear. 6 years later is far from "flipping" territory.
Mooch98
AG
I'll give you $1000 for and will provide confirmation that I'm opening it and not reselling it.
V8Aggie
AG
RenoAg said:

Ok hypothetical scenario here. Suppose back in 2013 RenoAg had a spare $500 burning a hole in his pocket and had a buddy in Louisiana who had a buddy working for a liquor distributor there. And he hypothetically offered to get RenoAg a bottle of pvw20 through that connection for that $500. And sure enough the cajun mafia did what it does and the transaction occurred. 2013 RenoAg had every intention of cracking open and drinking that bottle on a special occasion at some point. So it sat in his bunker. Then over the years RenoAg was able to have pours of all the Van Winkles. The 20 and 23 and Rye (the best of the Pvw bunch but that's just extraneous info) at bars. Orvw, lot b and 15 via opening up his own bottles. And over time RenoAg starts to feel that he'd rather have the $1300-$1500 dollars in his pocket for other things instead of cracking open his bottle of pvw20. Because while the 20 is very good, it's just kinda old hat at this point. Does selling his bottle of pvw20 and keeping the profit make Reno a bad guy? Does he owe anything to his buddy who hooked him up with the bottle originally? I'd say no on both counts. Because in 2013 there was no way to know the value of the bottle wouldn't go down. Felt like a bubble then too. And while the original intent was to drink it, sometimes circumstances and perspectives on life change. Nothing wrong with that.
I think you're good in this scenario. Also don't think you owe him anything but would def buy him a nice pour if you're ever out together.
V8Aggie
AG
Alright guys, I can't justify dropping more than $150 right now on a bottle and even then I am hesitant. Currently closing on a new house we just built and have some other financial obligations I need to prioritize.

If I am looking for something over-oaked and woody, what would you recommend? I posted about the Woodford double-oaked earlier and enjoyed it but am looking for something with more wood (hehe no). Any ideas?
MJ20/20
AG
Double Eagle Rare? Mix it with squirt, it'll really bring out the oak.
V8Aggie
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Double Eagle Rare? Mix it with squirt, it'll really bring out the oak.
mazag08
AG
V8Aggie said:

Alright guys, I can't justify dropping more than $150 right now on a bottle and even then I am hesitant. Currently closing on a new house we just built and have some other financial obligations I need to prioritize.

If I am looking for something over-oaked and woody, what would you recommend? I posted about the Woodford double-oaked earlier and enjoyed it but am looking for something with more wood (hehe no). Any ideas?
Jefferson's Twin Oak
Michter's US*1 Toasted Barrel

I think you are the type that would better prefer Scotch. They do a lot more experimentation with different woods, different methods of charring or toasting barrels, and way more variety of wood finishes.

Try out Oban Little Bay. You can grab it for around $50. If you like that, the sky is the limit.
the dude10
AG
I wish EC18 was in price range, I love it but it is very oaky for sure
HouseDivided06
AG
Another option: buy yourself a mini-oak barrel. I used mine a lot for a couple years but then let it get too dry and it fell apart. You have to keep things in it and when I went through my divorce I didn't get it out of my house in time. Anyway, they aren't too expensive and will give your bourbon an oak profile. When I got mine, I rinsed it out with hot water, then let water sit in it for a week or two. Helps reduce the REALLY heavy oak flavor for the first aging. In general, the smaller the barrel, the more it ages it comparatively. If I remember right, 57 days in a 1L barrel is the equivalent of a year in a big barrel. The first one you do, only age it for 2 weeks or so because it will be super oaky, but after that, you can mix and match and have some fun with it. I did 6 months once on OGD114 and it was pretty awesome. You will lose a decent amount to the devils cut and the angels share given how thin it is, but can be fun and get you some different flavors.
MW03
AG
mazag08 said:

V8Aggie said:

Jefferson's Twin Oak
Michter's US*1 Toasted Barrel

I think you are the type that would better prefer Scotch. They do a lot more experimentation with different woods, different methods of charring or toasting barrels, and way more variety of wood finishes.

Try out Oban Little Bay. You can grab it for around $50. If you like that, the sky is the limit.

Yeah, if you want oak on oak, and you enjoy peat, I cannot recommend Laugavulin 16 enough.
CactusThomas
First Page Last Page
Page 413 of 1100

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.