Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,871,633 Views | 38736 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Aggie Therapist
tx4guns
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found these today...

[This message has been edited by tx4guns (edited 7/5/2014 9:42p).]
steve00
AG
My epic online whiskey order was just foiled. The company claims that an error in their inventory system caused every product they had to get assigned a quantity of one, so lots of stuff that was out of stock suddenly showed in stock.

Of the 12 bottles I ordered, the only one they actually had in stock was the one I didn't even want. I had been checking to see what a reasonable price for EC21 was before haggling with my regular store, and accidentally left it in the cart when I went back later to order the other stuff.

I kind of figured it was too good to be true.
FlyFish95

Great stuff if you can find it.
AggieChemist
AG
I have old scout 8 and 10. I haven't been into the 10 yet, but the 8 is fine.
joshwayne330
Are y'all referring to barrel proofers or 100 proof bottling's? Anybody tried the 11 year BP yet?

[This message has been edited by Joshwayne330 (edited 7/9/2014 2:41p).]
tx4guns
AG
I don't think 11 year is out yet.
FriedTex
AG
Anyone had this?

http://www.balconesdistilling.com/baby-blue
FriedTex
AG
In that same vein, how would you rank Texas bourbons from high to low amongst themselves

Is garrison bros getting closer to being worth the price?
FriedTex
AG
This was a good read
http://fredminnick.com/the-inside-story-to-best-bourbon-at-the-san-francisco-world-spirits-competition/
FriedTex
AG
Along with this from this year
http://fredminnick.com/best-bourbon-best-craft-whiskey-14-san-francisco-world-spirits-competition/
Quantum ace
AG
I like Garrison Brothers, but it is still not worth the price. A bottle or two a year doesn't make much of a dent in my bourbon budget, so I buy it anyway.

Balcones makes some good whiskey, but it is probably a little different than anything you are used to. I like the barrel proof True Blue better than the Baby Blue, but they are both good corn whiskey.
Josepi
AG
quote:
This was a good read
http://fredminnick.com/the-inside-story-to-best-bourbon-at-the-san-francisco-world-spirits-competition/

Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed reading it.
Señor Chang
AG
Wow, I'll have to try 1835 since they rated it so highly. I've heard nothing but bad things about it here.
FriedTex
AG
I had some 1835 last time I was back in Texas - it was pretty decent for the price. I'd keep a bottle if we had it up here in Indiana
FlyFish95
1835 is a mixer.
joshwayne330
That was a funny article. If that's how they decide a winner, I will be sure avoid anything they recommend. It was almost like a jury convincing the last juror that a man is really guilty. And not near a bling tasting if they provide the proofs and/or age in advance. Anybody that drinks bourbon on a semi regular basis would be able to identify those odd proofs - 103, 107, 142.8, etc.

Thanks for sharing!
joshwayne330
That was a funny article. If that's how they decide a winner, I will be sure to avoid anything they recommend. It was almost like a jury convincing the last juror that a man is really guilty. And nothing close to a blind tasting if they provide the proofs and/or age in advance. Anybody that drinks bourbon on a semi regular basis would be able to match the proofs with the bottling - 103, 107, 142.8, etc.

Thanks for sharing!

[This message has been edited by Joshwayne330 (edited 7/10/2014 4:25p).]
jsn1986
AG
I was given a bottle of Garrison from a client and do not care for it at all. Probably the least favorite bottle in my collection. I was told that visiting the distillery is a good trip though.

Anyone seen the 4 Roses SiB LE in Texas?
JobSecurity
AG
I was given a bottle of some type of Balcones from a friend and neither of us could finish it because it was so bad. And we both drink lots of bourbon.
htxag09
AG
I agree with the balcones. Didn't care for it at all. I do want to give garrisons a try but am not even thinking about paying that price for it...
Atty_Ag
I've been on a kick drinking four different single barrel Garrison bottles the past couple of months. It's been fun to taste the variations just from different barrels and aging spots with all the same mash bill. I wish everybody could buy it at the friends and family prices that we do, but I do think each batch gets better. I admit it is hard to spend that kind of money when better bourbons go for the same price, but they are making great strides in their stuff. I drink more of it than most on here, so I've seen the progress they've made. It is extremely oaky, which does put off a good number of people.
FlyFish95
F
FlyFish95
Foleyt,

You must have been given a bottle of Brimstone.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Just saw Michters Celebration at the liquor store by the house if anyone's interested.

Let me know and I'll make him an offer.
steve00
AG
How much is he asking? My store has a bottle for $4k. Hardly seems worth it when you can find PVW 23 online for $3500.

Has anyone had it? Is it really that good?
the dude10
AG
quote:
How much is he asking? My store has a bottle for $4k. Hardly seems worth it when you can find PVW 23 online for $3500.

Has anyone had it? Is it really that good?

Well this must be the reason I haven't tried half the bourbons Steve has on his shelf. Most I buy are ~$50 and under. I feel like less of a man now
steve00
AG
I haven't actually ordered the PVW23. I can't bring myself to spend that much. The most I've ever spent on a bottle is admittedly a ridiculous amount, but also nowhere near $3500.
FlyFish95
I saw a $21k bottle of Macallan the other day.
steve00
AG
Whenever I think I'm spending too much on whiskey, I remember that at least I don't love scotch, as that stuff is crazy expensive.

Today I'm making a bacon infused bourbon for Benton's Old Fashioneds.

And the finished product.

[This message has been edited by Steve00 (edited 7/12/2014 7:23p).]
the dude10
AG
When I first started to try drinking whiskey straight, I was drinking scotch. I quickly found out that it was really expensive and so I started trying to get into bourbon and realized I like it more than scotch. Then I realized there is really expensive bourbon too! I hope to one day gety hands on a bottle of pappy, but it will probably be after the pappy/bourbon craze slows down
tx4guns
AG
quote:
after the pappy/bourbon craze slows down

So you're gonna wait 30 years?
the dude10
AG
quote:
So you're gonna wait 30 years?

If that's what it takes! Better scenario is that I find some this November
FlyFish95
Or you could just enjoy the many bottles that don't cost as much and are easier to find.
the dude10
AG
I will continue to do that for sure. As I have posted I love my bourbons I can get in the $25-$40 range. There is just a draw to the hype. I am curious if I could really like it much more than frsb, frsib, EC12, eagle rare, etc.
AggieChemist
AG
You will, and it will ruin you.
First Page Last Page
Page 73 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.