Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,833,118 Views | 38361 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by rca21978
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was pretty disappointed by the EC21.

Admittedly, I prefer rye over bourbon, but I do have a handful of bourbons that I like. The EC21 just didn't seem like it was that special. I tried about 1/4 of the bottle and decided it wasn't something where I would ever think - I really want to drink some EC21 tonight.

Glad I bought it though, so now I know it isn't my thing.

Along the same lines, I haven't given up on PVW Rye, but I'm about to.
joshwayne330
Current PVW is 95% hype. Save your time and money and find something else on the shelf. Only bottling really worth still seeking out is the Rye. But to each is own.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Have to disagree TO A DEGREE. I've had the 15, 20, and 23. The 23 was the finest bourbon I've ever tasted by a long shot. The 20 was the 2nd best. The 15 was quite good, but very comparable with other higher end bourbons.

That said, I wouldn't even dream of paying what people are asking these days. The msrps are the correct prices.
FlyFish95
The long and short of it is, PVW is not worth what most pay for it. In reality, no bottle of liquor is. 10 years or so ago, PVW was regularly found sitting on the shelf of your local liquor store and you could get it for $50. It's not any better today for $250+ than it was 10 years ago. Do the math.
joshwayne330
quote:
Have to disagree TO A DEGREE. I've had the 15, 20, and 23. The 23 was the finest bourbon I've ever tasted by a long shot. The 20 was the 2nd best. The 15 was quite good, but very comparable with other higher end bourbons.

That said, I wouldn't even dream of paying what people are asking these days. The msrps are the correct prices.

That is my point behind "to each is own". If you think PVW23 Is the best pour in the world, our palates are on different spectrums. Glad you enjoy it though considering the price you have to pay.
joshwayne330
quote:
The long and short of it is, PVW is not worth what most pay for it. In reality, no bottle of liquor is. 10 years or so ago, PVW was regularly found sitting on the shelf of your local liquor store and you could get it for $50. It's not any better today for $250+ than it was 10 years ago. Do the math.

There is not a bottle of bourbon out there worth $150. And great point, back in 2008 I was paying $50 for PVW15 and it is a WOW factor better than the 2013.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The msrp on 15 is still like ~80. I'd buy it for that.
htxag09
AG
I bought the 15 for like $60-$70 last year. Didn't try it, though, gave it as a present.
joshwayne330
quote:
The msrp on 15 is still like ~80. I'd buy it for that.

Find it for $80 in Texas this year.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Did you read my whole post? You quoted it after all.
joshwayne330
Yes, I read your entire post since I did quote it. You made it seem like that was realistic to find it for $80. I would like to see someone post a glimpse of a receipt for that price on a PVW15 from this year. PVW15 hasn't been sold at MSRP anywhere in the past 2 years from what I can recall.

[This message has been edited by Joshwayne330 (edited 7/14/2014 12:17a).]

[This message has been edited by Joshwayne330 (edited 7/14/2014 12:17a).]
Quantum ace
AG
I didn't get the impression that he was suggesting PVW 15 at msrp was a real possibility. No one says "If frogs had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass when he hopped. This is not an actual possibility because frogs do not have wings."

Back on point, I still really enjoy the current PVW 15, and would probably pay up to $100 for it. The older ones just don't do it for me; some of my favorite flavors from the 15 have just mellowed out by the time you get to 20 years. I would not pass up a free pour, but I don't think I would even pay msrp for the 20 or 23.
AggieChemist
AG
Just as a point of reference, I paid $119 for a bottle of PVW20 in 2012.
schmellba99
AG
Last year I bought a 20, 15, 10 (x2) and a 13 year Rye and paid somewhere around $550-ish for all of it (cant' remember exact dollar amounts).

I'm sure the 15 and 20 were overpriced, at least with respect to MSRP anyway. But it averaged out to around $90 per bottle, and I was good with that.

And that is why MSRP is kind of useless in a lot of applications - it's just a suggestion by the manufacturer, and most of the time they don't take into account a whole host of factors.

A bottle is worth whatever a consumer will pay for it. If you won't pay X for a bottle, but somebody else is willing to do so voluntarily, then that bottle is worth X regardless of whether or not you particularly think so.
Icecream_Ag
S
sorry to interrupt the PVW hate fest circle jerk economics lesson, but has the orphan barrel bourbon been discussed?

I got a bottle of the rhetoric this weekend. Need to give it another go sometime this week, but the first pour was heavy for lack of a better term. Good flavor, but just seemed to hit hard and sit there for a while.
steve00
AG
Something to keep in mind is that this discussion seems to be mixing up two distinct forms of criticism.

There is the actual taste of the whiskey, which is what it is. It is unaffected by how much the whiskey's msrp is, how much you actually paid for it, or what your particular financial situation is. Individuals may have differing palettes, so one may prefer a certain flavor profile over another, but the whiskey tastes how it tastes.

There is also the value proposition. This is much more subjective than taste, as a lot more external factors go into it. How much money do you make? How many financial responsibilities do you have? How heavily do you weigh whiskey budget against other parts of your budget? How cheap are you?

When talking about PVW, and to some extent BTAC and other hard to find whiskeys, a lot of people fall into the "it’s not worth $X to me, therefore it doesn't taste good". It may very well not be a good value for your personal financial situation, but for others in different situations it is an extremely good value. Regardless, this doesn't affect how it tastes. Pretty much all of the whiskey reviewers agree that PVW and BTAC taste really good. Maybe you disagree with them, which is fine, but their scarcity and high price shouldn't be a factor in that review. If you are talking about good value whiskeys, then maybe they wouldn't be on everyone's list, but there are certainly people who consider $150 for PVW or BTAC a great value.

While I am far from an expert, I try to keep the value proposition out of my head when determining if I like a certain whiskey. I look at it like this - if I had access to a fully stocked whiskey cabinet that I could drink from for free, where would this whiskey rank? I know that there is an inherent bias in your brain toward things you spent more money on. I have read the studies that show your brain physically enjoys wine more if that wine was expensive. You can drink the same wine twice, and if the first time you are told it is a $15 bottle, and the second time you are told it is a $115 bottle, your brain will literally get more enjoyment out of the second glass. I try to be aware of that too, and not let it cloud my tasting.

I admit that currently, the #1 whiskey in my cabinet is also the most expensive one. However, the next 3 most expensive whiskeys are ranked closer to #10 in taste. And a bottle that costs about 20 times less than the #1 bottle is in my top 5. For the record, I have PVW15, VW12 Lot B, and PVW Rye in my cabinet. None of them are my #1, but the 15 is in the top 5.

Everyone has their own tastes and preferences; I’m just trying to point out that value and taste are two different things. To say that there is no whiskey worth $150 is ridiculous. Maybe there is no whiskey worth $150 to you, due to a combination of your financial situation and your taste preferences, but that is not the case for all people. Also, I’d bet that if you were offered a free bottle of PVW23 or a free bottle of whatever your favorite whiskey is, a very high percentage of people would choose the PVW23.

It is also fairly ridiculous to talk about PVW in terms of it costing $80. If you have bought it for that in the past few years, then you should also be buying lottery tickets, as you are incredibly lucky. It is near impossible to find it anywhere for sale. When you do, it is usually for a lot more than $80. I could actually order a bottle of PVW23 this morning and have it in my cabinet on Wednesday, but it would cost me $3,500. That isn’t a good value for me personally, so I didn’t order it. I still think PVW23 tastes really good though.

[This message has been edited by steve00 (edited 7/14/2014 9:48a).]
FlyFish95
I plan on scooping up as much WLW and ER 17 this fall as I can get my hands on. I'd take both over PVW
Atty_Ag
Ice Cream,

I have a bottle of the one of the other Orphan Barrel releases - Barterhouse 20. I didn't find it to be anything out of the ordinary. I got a whole lot more enjoyment out of the Elijah Craig barrel proof at half the price. I just got another bottle of it last week, so there are a few still floating around.
Icecream_Ag
S
yeah the specs at I10 and Voss had both in stock, I went with the Rhetoric.

My taste has been off for the last couple of weeks, so I'm gonna hold judgement until my palette settles back down.
joshwayne330
For drinking purposes, If there was a bottle of PVW23 and OWA '04 on the table, I would reach for the OWA all day long. There is a reason why the juice in a PVW23 made it to that bottle - it got passed over multiple times because it didn't make that cut for their other bottling's and they had to do something with it - True story.

And I stand behind my claim that no bottle of bourbon is worth $150 from a blind tasting drinking standpoint when comparing it to other bourbons 1/3 of the price. If you have never done a blind tasting, you should try it sometime. It might open your eyes...
Human
AG
Anyone have Angels Envy??
Purchased this at a liquor store in McKinney
Was specially blended just for their stores from what I was told.

Hands down the best bourbon I've ever had.
92 proof

From their website:

quote:
Accolades: RATED 98 POINTS by WINE ENTHUSIAST MAGAZINE - THEIR HIGHEST BOURBON RATING, EVER.
5 STARS / HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION from PAUL PACULT'S SPIRIT JOURNAL

$42 per bottle
Can't beat that
FlyFish95
Price is always an issue. EC 21 is not bad. In fact, it's pretty good, but not $180/bottle good.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Anyone have Angels Envy??
Purchased this at a liquor store in McKinney
not sure about that, AE is pretty easy to find here in Houston. If each batch is different based on location, thats a lot of work
steve00
AG
As you said before, to each his own.

I'm not here to tell you what should taste good to you. If your preferred whiskey is OWA, then more power to you.

I have done some blind tastings, and my rankings generally match what I would expect them to based on what I like to drink, with the occasional surprise of course.

You seem to have missed my point on value vs. taste though. A blind tasting has nothing to do with how much each whiskey costs. It should be blind for both label and price. You can make a value judgment later, based on the results of your blind taste test, but the price does not impact the taste at the time of tasting. You may discover after a blind tasting that you found a $50 bourbon and a $150 bourbon to be a dead heat, and that may cause you to make a value judgment that you should start buying the $50 one because it tastes just as good to you and you can save $100.

Or you may find that a $150 bourbon was far and away your favorite of the test. In that case, you have to make a value judgment as to whether it is worth it to you to drink $150 bourbon. I can assure you that there are people who do consider it worth it, so your assertion that there is no bottle of bourbon that is worth $150 is only strictly true for you, not for everyone. It's kind of like saying there is no car worth more than $50k, just because that is your personal limit on what makes sense for a car. Other people place different values on things and have differing situations.

I'll be pouring a glass of WLW when I get home from work after all these Weller mentions, then will probably test my barrel aged old fashioned made from 2 bourbons and 3 ryes that I knew I would never drink. It probably needs 3-4 more weeks in the barrel, but I like to make up excuses to test it out every week.

Cheers to whatever whiskey you are pouring.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:

I'm not saying you were lied to, but the truth was definitely not represented fully.
FlyFish95
Thers such a thing as a Private barrel selection. Maybe he confused it with that.
joshwayne330
Steve00,

I always speak for myself. I am not speaking for anyone else when I make my comments. I could care less of people over pay for whiskey. Just giving my opinion to help out the newbies.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm not saying you were lied to, but the truth was definitely not represented fully.

It is very likely that it was specially blended for that store. Angels Envy is a blend of three different bourbons. Instead of a "Private Barrel" they have a "Private Blend" program. They send you samples of three different bourbons, you mix and match until you find your favorite, then they blend a small batch for you.

I have a bottle that was blended for Poison Girl, and it is noticeably different than the standard AE.

[This message has been edited by Quantum ace (edited 7/14/2014 5:41p).]
joshwayne330
^^^ how was it? I saw it last summer and passed. Bad decision?
Quantum ace
AG
Standard AE is a little different, but the PG AE has a more unique and noticeable different profile. In a side by side, I prefer the standard AE by a hair. Sometimes I prefer "interesting" to "good", so I do enjoy the PG blend.

That is probably the least helpful reply I could give, but it is as accurate as I could be. I'll have to get you a sample sometime.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
For drinking purposes, If there was a bottle of PVW23 and OWA '04 on the table, I would reach for the OWA all day long. There is a reason why the juice in a PVW23 made it to that bottle - it got passed over multiple times because it didn't make that cut for their other bottling's and they had to do something with it - True story.

And I stand behind my claim that no bottle of bourbon is worth $150 from a blind tasting drinking standpoint when comparing it to other bourbons 1/3 of the price. If you have never done a blind tasting, you should try it sometime. It might open your eyes...

I agree.

Thought it is noteworthy that you had absolutely nothing good to say about the article posted that more or less did that very thing and rated PV15 and 1836 so high.
steve00
AG
Just got my new mini-barrel. Too expensive to make The Brave in a 5 liter barrel. A few days of curing it and then a month or two before it's ready.

Whiskey related because I think it will add a very interesting flavor to my next batch of Sazerac or Old Fashioned that ages after it.

FriedTex
AG
quote:
quote:

I agree.

Thought it is noteworthy that you had absolutely nothing good to say about the article posted that more or less did that very thing and rated PV15 and 1836 so high.

I thought that too

Bottom line : drink what you want. I picked up another barrel strength Four Roses today OESV - 126 proof, it is Excellent and only 50 bucks
steve00
AG
quote:
Steve00,

I always speak for myself. I am not speaking for anyone else when I make my comments. I could care less of people over pay for whiskey. Just giving my opinion to help out the newbies.

I'm not sure that taking the contrarian view that PVW isn't good is helping newbies. I don't think it is the greatest whiskey ever, but I agree with the overwhelming majority of experts that it is in the top tier of bourbons. Any person who enjoys whiskey should aspire to at least try a glass at some point.

Maybe you actually think OWA tastes better, and that is great for you, but your constant references to price seems to suggest a different reason that you prefer OWA.

You may not mind if people overpay for bourbon, but by creating that definition based on your bourbon budget, you prove that you do care. It isn't possible to overpay for bourbon as long as the purchase satisfies the person making that purchase. If I like a whiskey that costs more than the whiskey you like, and I find it to taste good, and I can afford it, then I haven't overpaid. I have paid the right amount.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Just got my new mini-barrel. Too expensive to make The Brave in a 5 liter barrel. A few days of curing it and then a month or two before it's ready.

Whiskey related because I think it will add a very interesting flavor to my next batch of Sazerac or Old Fashioned that ages after it.

Theyy are a lot of fun. I just tapped one of my barrels thaf I had some EC12 aging in since Halloween.

You can make a decent bourbon a really good sipping bourbon and experiment with various vattings and agings.
First Page Last Page
Page 74 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.