Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,873,234 Views | 38761 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by Aggie Therapist
KyleJ2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started seeing Elijah Craig Rye around recently. Anyone had it? Worth getting?
stroodles
AG
Not the 17 year, but I picked up the 10 year single barrel SP last week. I like the one I got - it's hot at 128pr but good. Haven't seen the 17 year, but would pick one up if I saw it.
GarlandAg2012
AG
KyleJ2012 said:

I believe there was a review on here that it wasnt anything special but I wouldn't be able to help myself from trying a bottle unless the price was egregious.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Found a EC RYE. I'll stick to OF Rye. EC wasn't any better or worse, just 6 points lower in alcohol.
aTm '99
Sazerac
AG
betadawg1 on here brought some back from a trip and sold me a bottle.
IMO kind of run of the mill. Good for Rye cocktails, but nothing worth seeking out for sipping.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
LPHA said:

Dickel distillate without the Lincoln county process

Are you sure about the LC process? According to who?
MarathonAg12
Anyone get their hands on the Blue Note 17?

Dickel bomb?
LPHA
AG
I was told that by the owner of the store where I spend too much money. I don't know whether it's true for certain, but I don't have a reason not to believe him. He could have bad information though
AGBrewer512
KyleJ2012 said:

If you like a thin mouthfeel with mint and a hint of pumpernickel bread and caramel, you will love it.

Personally, I didn't like it. But then again, I'm not really a Rye guy.
CTGilley
AG
AGBrewer512 said:

KyleJ2012 said:

If you like a thin mouthfeel with mint and a hint of pumpernickel bread and caramel, you will love it.

Good notes. I gave the EC rye to my sister. My sister likes rye and my BIL likes every whiskey I hate so it keeps me from pouring it down the drain.
Bourbon Junkie
AGBrewer512 said:

KyleJ2012 said:

Fred Minnick, is that you?
Mort Rainey
I grabbed a bottle of Buffalo Trace from Specs today. They were allocating two per person.

I know we're used to it at this point, but it is so ****ing stupid that we live in a world where normal Buffalo Trace is being allocated. It's absurd.
RED AG 98
AG
in the damned locked glass case at my local Specs
Chipotlemonger
AG
Mort Rainey said:

I grabbed a bottle of Buffalo Trace from Specs today. They were allocating two per person.

I know we're used to it at this point, but it is so ****ing stupid that we live in a world where normal Buffalo Trace is being allocated. It's absurd.
This is a tired take. It is what it is now with Bourbon demand, relax.

Did they have the bottles on the shelf? Even with the limit, you only grabbed 1 and not the allowed 2? Seems to me their solution worked out well. Let's average Joe find a bottle when he wants it, and keeps people from buying a couple of cases when the store opens, hoarding and flipping to their heart's desire.
John Francis Donaghy
Yep. Sucks. But can't be mad at the stores for it. It's the only way they can keep the taters from cleaning the place out by 10:10am. If you want to be mad, be mad at the secondary market that's driving the need for the purchase limitations.
FriedTex
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Mort Rainey said:

This is a tired take. It is what it is now with Bourbon demand, relax.

Did they have the bottles on the shelf? Even with the limit, you only grabbed 1 and not the allowed 2? Seems to me their solution worked out well. Let's average Joe find a bottle when he wants it, and keeps people from buying a couple of cases when the store opens, hoarding and flipping to their heart's desire.

It's the best move for the store and developing a customer base. You telling me you don't often revisit a store you scored something semi-rare?
TikkaShooter
Is there honestly a secondary market for BT?
RED AG 98
AG
We can be frustrated that a $22 bottle of BT is on allocation and has effectively become rare while at the same time acknowledging that stores need to do whatever they can to manage through the insanity. But it's definitely still insanity.
SpiderDude
AG
Yup. My solution is keep grabbing Rare Breed.
John Francis Donaghy
SpiderDude said:

I was real close to grabbing a bottle of Rare Breed today, and decided against it. Now I'm regretting it because you've put the idea back in my head and it sounds good.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

Tried a random after becoming disenfranchised in the hunt. Picked up Stellum rye, which I think is a cask strength MGP blend from the folks that make Barrell. Pretty solid for $50. Creamy, spicy, and strong. Very solid on the rocks. Glad I bought it.

I'm enjoying mine. A solid steal at 116 proof and under $50 a bottle. It's an MGP, Dickel and (possibly Barton) blend.
Thisguy1
Is rare breed any good?
John Francis Donaghy
Thisguy1 said:

Is rare breed any good?

Nope. Awful. Nevermind anything I've said prior to this post.
CTGilley
AG
SpiderDude said:

I forget it is one of my favorites. Every time I drink it I wonder why I buy anything else. RB is the reason I rarely buy anything over $50. Stagg jr. is better but way too hard to find.
RED AG 98
AG
Specs was completely pick over today. Grabbed a Rare Breed and regular old Old Forester. Fine with me as I mostly drink Old Fashioneds in the summer anyway. So damn hot.
Sazerac
AG
When $40 and pretty much always on the shelf it's about the best sipper you can find.

Price has creeped up some places and not always in stock anymore.
CTGilley
AG
Only $42 at big stores like TW and Specs. Every where else it is $50

Edit- and a steal under 50 IMO.
AlaskanAg99
AG
My sister, for reasons unknown to me, is looking for Ironroot Harbinger. WTF is this and is it available in the Tine?
aTm '99
SpiderDude
AG
CTGilley said:

SpiderDude said:

I forget it is one of my favorites. Every time I drink it I wonder why I buy anything else. RB is the reason I rarely buy anything over $50. Stagg jr. is better but way too hard to find.

I wanted to prove you wrong but it's true. There's just more punch of flavor (but I will point out it's also over 10 points higher in proof). This was batch 13 vsm RB. I get cherry cola with the Stagg, pecan, vanilla. There's also a fair amount of burn with it vs. RB. I get more barrel spice, black pepper, light strawberry with RB.
MarathonAg12
First time my grandpa, dad I been together in some years. Took down some bottles.
Gunner33
Nice lineup
strohag
AG
Interesting read:
https://www.gobourbon.com/op-ed-have-private-barrel-picks-jumped-the-shark/?fbclid=IwAR35LKKj8z4CXKLj3DsUpwRddx5SqpjQIVCR6A_EEMOrysyqh-RBemlEhNI

It does seem like barrel picks are just saturating the market now.
MarathonAg12
Good read
proc
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

My sister, for reasons unknown to me, is looking for Ironroot Harbinger. WTF is this and is it available in the Tine?

A good Texas bourbon, but super hard to find unless you get lucky during a visit in Denison freaking Texas.
AGBrewer512
CTGilley said:

AGBrewer512 said:

KyleJ2012 said:

Good notes. I gave the EC rye to my sister. My sister likes rye and my BIL likes every whiskey I hate so it keeps me from pouring it down the drain.

I've still got an unopened bottle I'm thinking about using to strip paint off my lawn mower with...
First Page Last Page
Page 637 of 1108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.