Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,859,332 Views | 38608 Replies | Last: 40 min ago by h_town_ags
AGBrewer512
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bourbon Junkie said:

AGBrewer512 said:

KyleJ2012 said:

Started seeing Elijah Craig Rye around recently. Anyone had it? Worth getting?
If you like a thin mouthfeel with mint and a hint of pumpernickel bread and caramel, you will love it.

Personally, I didn't like it. But then again, I'm not really a Rye guy.

Fred Minnick, is that you?
Great...Now I have to shut down this account and open a new one...Wonder if TaterTaterDickelHater is taken?
ClickClack
AG
AGBrewer512 said:

CTGilley said:

AGBrewer512 said:

KyleJ2012 said:

Started seeing Elijah Craig Rye around recently. Anyone had it? Worth getting?
If you like a thin mouthfeel with mint and a hint of pumpernickel bread and caramel, you will love it.

Personally, I didn't like it. But then again, I'm not really a Rye guy.
Good notes. I gave the EC rye to my sister. My sister likes rye and my BIL likes every whiskey I hate so it keeps me from pouring it down the drain.

I've still got an unopened bottle I'm thinking about using to strip paint off my lawn mower with...

Finally, someone else who doesn't like rye.
the dude10
AG
I thought it was fine. Not amazing or anything worth hunting down but plenty good enough to keep one on the shelf.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Pardon my ignorance, but is it a thing where you buy a bottle of bourbon for the year your kid was born and you save it until their 21st bday? If so what do you recommend if your kid was born in 2014?

I was thinking trying to pick up a bottle of blantons with a dump date to as close to their bday as possible and just assume it was aged 7 years.
Gunner33
jaggiemaggie said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is it a thing where you buy a bottle of bourbon for the year your kid was born and you save it until their 21st bday? If so what do you recommend if your kid was born in 2014?

I was thinking trying to pick up a bottle of blantons with a dump date to as close to their bday as possible and just assume it was aged 7 years.

There are Blantons Facebook pages where you can request a specific dump date, and you might get lucky with someone with your date thats willing to sell it.
CactusThomas
AG
If my kids are interested in bourbon at 21 I'll be concerned. Probably buy them some Coors light instead if anything.
trouble
AG
I guess I did it wrong because mine was definitely interested in bourbon at 21
CactusThomas
AG
Wasnt suggesting it's a parenting fail or anything.
the dude10
AG
Yes, it's a thing. Well I am doing it anyways. Bought OF birthday bourbon for my first 2, 2014 and 2016. Haven't secured my 2020 birthday yet so may try the blantons route. Almost assuredly they won't be ready to properly enjoy it very much at 21, but it will be a cool first drink to share with them anyway.
the dude10
AG
trouble said:

I was interested in bourbon at 21, but more in a shots of the cheapest whiskey on northgate kinda way. Jim beam white if I really wanted to treat myself
trouble
AG
the dude10 said:

trouble said:

I was interested in bourbon at 21, but more in a shots of the cheapest whiskey on northgate kinda way. Jim beam white if I really wanted to treat myself

I'm sure he drank cheap **** on occasion but he was already a snob at 21
Thisguy1
First I've seen of this on the shelf. Any good? The 1920 is probably one of my favorites.
Sazerac
AG
I thought 1897 was a regular. Did they just change the label?

The 1920 and Barrel Strength are very good. I have yet to find another of theirs I get excited about.
Thisguy1
I don't think I've ever seen the BIB before.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
We're scheduled to pick two barrels at Jack Daniels in about three weeks and just got word yesterday they're most likely not going to let us bottle them at barrel proof. So frustrating and makes zero sense to me.
trouble
AG
Why the hell not? That would seriously piss me off.
proc
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

We're scheduled to pick two barrels at Jack Daniels in about three weeks and just got word yesterday they're most likely not going to let us bottle them at barrel proof. So frustrating and makes zero sense to me.

Yeah, that's some BS.
tlfw378
AG
Why would any distillery care? Does the barrel cost more or less? Can you walk away from the deal?
Buck Compton
AG
Thisguy1 said:

1897, 1910, and 1920 are all regular OF offerings. 1920 is far and away the best, but 1897 is probably second of the three by a hair. Still not great.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I don't get it. They've just decided they've done enough at barrel proof for the year.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
tlfw378 said:

Why would any distillery care? Does the barrel cost more or less? Can you walk away from the deal?

The barrel costs the same. They want to spend money chill filtering and adding water. This is the result of marketing people making decisions to not "saturate" brands and "cannibalize" their other brands.
the dude10
AG
Plus the cost of the extra glass for the bottles, this is absurd lol. It's a lose lose. They spend more money and y'all don't get what you want
Johnsy3
AG
Sazerac said:

I thought 1897 was a regular. Did they just change the label?

The 1920 and Barrel Strength are very good. I have yet to find another of theirs I get excited about.

Looks like they just changed the label. 1897 is the year Taylor's Bottled in Bond Act passed.

Sazerac
AG
And my wife says I don't pay attention.
CactusThomas
AG
Buck Compton said:

Thisguy1 said:

1897, 1910, and 1920 are all regular OF offerings. 1920 is far and away the best, but 1897 is probably second of the three by a hair. Still not great.

1870 is the other one.

I also like 1920 the best. It's great. '97 and '70 are good but nothing special. I don't love 1910.
MarathonAg12
Marketing at its finest

Now the secondary market for "1897 BiB old label" is going to increase

Hahaha
TexDill15
AG
I have a buddy who is looking for a bottle of Elmer T Lee for his dad. It's made by the Buffalo Trace group. I found 1 bottle that the small store had marked up to 199. This stuff normally retails for around 50.

Any one have any leads on a bottle in the DFW area? Or tips on how to find one at market value. The stores like Total Wine and Goody Goody can't give me an idea when a bottle will come in from their distributor.
jetch17
AG
ETL isnt released often, and stores will hide it EVEN if they get it. It secondary's for about 300 right now
jaggiemaggie
AG
Anyone had blue note 17 year before ? I have a chance to pick up a bottle
Chipotlemonger
AG
I lucked into a retail price ETL a while back at Total Wine. It was a complete crap shoot though. You're better off buying it for $200. As stated, that is below a lot of secondary.
proc
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Anyone had blue note 17 year before ? I have a chance to pick up a bottle
I tried several variations this last weekend. The lower proofs have some of the famed Dickel Flintstone vitamin aftertaste, so no. The high proofers, running at around 110, were significantly better. All were smooth.

If you opt for one, it's your money, but do get the 110ish high proofer.

MarathonAg12
TexDill15 said:

I have a buddy who is looking for a bottle of Elmer T Lee for his dad. It's made by the Buffalo Trace group. I found 1 bottle that the small store had marked up to 199. This stuff normally retails for around 50.

Any one have any leads on a bottle in the DFW area? Or tips on how to find one at market value. The stores like Total Wine and Goody Goody can't give me an idea when a bottle will come in from their distributor.
If your buddy wants ETL at retail for his dad he is going to have to put in the work of establishing connections, waiting for the drops and doing his homework.

If he doesn't have the time to do all that, then that 199 ETL is looking mighty good considering the secondary is 275-330.

tlfw378
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

tlfw378 said:

The barrel costs the same. They want to spend money chill filtering and adding water. This is the result of marketing people making decisions to not "saturate" brands and "cannibalize" their other brands.

That is a real kick in the nuts
Sixdrakes
AG
ETL already dropped in Texas about a little over a month ago. I doubt we see it again this year.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Would you pay $300 for 2 bottles of Blanton's.

Asking for a friend
First Page Last Page
Page 638 of 1104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.