Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,870,933 Views | 38723 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by trouble
FriedTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got a bottle of Bakers 7 yr for 35 bucks. Thought it was a good price, so I'd give it a shot. Really enjoy this bourbon, spicy and complex on the palate, nice medium finish

Would personally recommend for the price
Quantum ace
AG
I like Bakers, but try the Bookers for an extra $10.
FriedTex
AG
Plan on it!

On the list are
Bookers
Rowan Creek
And Michtners

I'm also gonna backpedal on what I said about FRSB - that's a quality well priced bourbon
Absolute
AG
Toured the Firestone and Robertson distillery (where they make the TX blended whiskey - which is pretty decent) this past weekend. Pretty cool operation, history and back story. They will be rolling out their bourbon this fall. All Texas ingredients (except the barley which apparently does not grow well in tx.) They even sourced their own yeast from a pecan tree some where near Granbury. I'm looking forward to trying it.
joshwayne330
^^ Is this the distillery that is using wheat in its Mashbill?
Absolute
AG
They said corn (duh) wheat and barley. So yes.

FriedTex
AG
Knobb creek single barrel is a wonderful thing / smoothest 120 proof I've ever experienced
tx4guns
AG
FriedTex,

Wait until you try Larue Weller or Stagg.

I'm on a Smooth Ambler kick lately. Got a 10 year 100 proof in today, have several CS 8 year and getting some CS Rye in. Stuff is heavenly, but extremely hard to find in Texas.

Also had a Hillrock Solera for the first time the other night. Awesome juice.
austinag1997
AG
Will have to pick some up while in NOLA next week.
joshwayne330
I have a SA Old Scout 8 yr Rye (barrel proof 125+) private single barrel selection headed my way. It's supposed to taste like Thin Mint cookies. I will be heading to NOLA next month, so I might have to pick up a few more bottling's as I hear SA is making some good stuff.

FYI - this rye is sourced from LDI/MGP out of Indiana and not distilled by SA.
GregZeppelin
AG
Man, when the mood strikes, it's damn tough to beat a glass of Bookers neat.

Was drinking Jefferson's Reserve Small Batch, and it just wasn't hitting the spot. But this glass of Bookers sure as hell does.
joshwayne330
Bookers is tough for me to get down neat. You must have taste buds of steal. Let me guess, you like Stagg Jr neat as well?
FlyFish95
For most people, Booker's needs to be diluted. It's very good though. Personally, it's like a bourbon reduction.
austinag1997
AG
I actually like Stagg Jr. with a small amount of chipped ice (as close to neat as you can get). Call me crazy, but I think it is the best $50 bourbon out there. And, yes, while high proof, I think it is very drinkable. I have not sampled Bookers yet.
the dude10
AG
Judging from the time of Greg's post, his taste buds were probably a bit numb already.

On a side note, I am currently drinking some bulleit rye mixed strong with coke zero. I don't mix my bourbon very often at all anymore, but I really enjoy this mix.
schmellba99
AG
Booker's is good, but a little hot.

I picked a fight with it kne weekend and got my butt handed to me. But it was a 16 round Rocky type fight, and it was a blast.
htxag09
AG
I've had bookers once at a restaurant, had it neet. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
joshwayne330
Best bourbon under $50 is a no brainer - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof at $37 - 12 years, 130+ proof, uncut unfiltered. It should have retailed for twice that price compared to the other overpriced bottles on the market.
Quantum ace
AG
I like Bookers neat, but sipped very slowly.

Stagg Jr is too hot for me to enjoy neat. I like it with a little ice, but I would rather have Bookers.
tx4guns
AG
Josh, I disagree. The Smooth Ambler OS 8 year CS is better.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
^ is that a bourbon?
tx4guns
AG
Yes, made in WV.
GregZeppelin
AG
Dude: I had actually only had the one glass of Jefferson Reserve before starting on the Bookers.

Josh: I haven't yet had the pleasure of trying Stagg Jr. but from what I've heard it seems right up my alley.

And to answer your question, I haven't found a high-proof bourbon yet that I couldn't enjoy neat. Sometimes I prefer a single ice cube in a barrel proofer, just to change the flavor profile up a bit and explore what all is in there, but in general I tend to like by bourbons as robust as possible.

Also, I've never heard of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof but Elijah Craig 12 is one of my favorites, is the barrel proof something I can go buy whenever? Or is it a call around, cross your fingers, and hope to hit the jackpot type bottle?
joshwayne330
ECBP is actually difficult to find. I only saw it on the shelf twice last August and luckily grabbed a few bottles. I will make this comparison;

Eagle Rare 10 year : George T Stagg

as to

Elijah Craig : Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

ECBP drinks older than 12 year bourbon - much more char and woody notes than the standard version.
AggieChemist
AG
Picked up a barrel a bottle of smooth ambler eight-year-old and Elijah Craig 12 this morning
joshwayne330
Is SA distilling/bottling their own bourbon or is it outsourced? As stated previously, the Rye is outsourced to my knowledge.
AggieChemist
AG
The Old Scout is "artisan bottled"
joshwayne330
LOL, that answered my question, thanks. Maybe they will be the next Willett?
tx4guns
AG
The current SA bottlings are in house. The 7+ year stuff is sourced. The comparison to Willett is pretty fair.
AggieChemist
AG
I think the idea is to have something approaching "premium" to build the brand while they are distilling and aging their own product. You can't just open a distillery and sell 12 year old bourbon tomorrow.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Eagle Rare 10 year : George T Stagg

as to

Elijah Craig : Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
schmellba99
AG
Dammit - considering my love for EC12, and moreso for EC21, I obviously need to find a bottle of EC12BP.

Atty_Ag
Has anyone tried the Jefferson Ocean Aged at Sea? I have a bottle that just arrived on hold for me.

http://thewhiskeyjug.com/bourbon-whiskey/jeffersons-ocean-aged-sea-review/
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I give Jefferson Ocean a sold B.

Not bad, not great. Drinkable.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
oh, sorry... forgot the obligatory tasting notes!

I find aromas of peach, oatmeal, subtle notes of charred peat, seasoned by complex lees derived characters, with flashes of matchstick. The palate has intense fruit power in the spectrum of nectarine to peach stone fruits is deftly laced with complex seasoned oak that adds a zesty orange rind and ginger component to the bourbon. Great mouth feel with a powerful and long finish.

oh, and forgot to add that it's very hot!
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.