Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,838,779 Views | 38430 Replies | Last: 27 min ago by AgCzar
Third Coast Horn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well **** guys I only bought three of the jps 18 all at different times. One went to dad for his bday and the second was kept because I liked it. I just like handy better so I'm willing to trade it.
austinag1997
AG
I get that. I think Handy was the gem of the BTAC this year. Hard for me to trade one off... Even tempted with JPS18.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:
I've been very impressed with my bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. Smooth and rich. I really like it. Next bottle I buy will be one of their single barrels.

The small batch is no slouch, but the single barrel is one of my favorites. Make sure to save some of the small batch so you can do a side by side tasting.

Good call. I will be sure to do that.

And like Whoop04 said, the price for either one is very reasonable.
proudaggie02
AG
I lucked out yesterday. I was at a liquor store I rarely go to, and I saw a Old Forester Birthday Bourbon in the high-dollar case. It was only $38.
the enigma
Does anyone know where to find some Balcones around the Conroe area? I can't imagine why it is so hard to find a product that is made 90 miles up the road!
FlyFish95
Personally I think the ER 17 is the gem of the current BTAC line.
AggieChemist
AG
Picked up some Rowan's creek and templeton rye today. Gonna tour buffalo trace tomorrow on my way back to West Virginia
austinag1997
AG
Be careful... you could fall through openings in the grating on some levels. I'm amazed their insurers allow visitors through some of those areas. Unfortunately, you get to sample only Buffalo Trace.

Interesting tour nonetheless.
AggieChemist
AG
Woodford is the best tour, but I haven't done BT yet.
FriedTex
AG
How is Rowan's creek?

Picked up basil Haden's today - not a big fan, weird finish
FriedTex
AG
That would be a drunk emoticon
tx4guns
AG
Basil Hayden has a.smooth finish. Weird? Not really. Try some Four Roses Single Barrel.
farmer2010
AG
quote:
How is Rowan's creek?

Rich and peppery. It's my favorite in the 30-40 dollar price range.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Unfortunately, you get to sample only Buffalo Trace.

Really? I've done the BT tour/tasting literally dozens of times, and even up until last May when I last did it, you got to sample two of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, White Dog, or Rain Vodka, and then you got the Bourbon Cream as well, either plain, or with root beer, and a bourbon ball.

Did they really scale the tastings back to only BT?
austinag1997
AG
Greg,

Yes, you are correct. I don't recall Eagle Rare, but the others were available.

Woodford is a great tour, and so is Makers Mark. Those two were top notch. The property on both of those tours helps. I also enjoyed the Willett tour.
joshwayne330
I thought on the Buffalo Trace your they let you sample Pappy straight from the barrel??

I think there are 2 different tours available at BT - Hard hat and the basic. I think the Hard Hat has a few extra perks.
Atty_Ag
My notes from October of 12 when visiting BT. They made me promise not to tell anyone about the free bottle of Stagg, Jr. they sent everyone home with.

quote:
I ended up at Buffalo Trace. The tour lasted about an hour. As for tastings, they said to pick two of: their new vodka, white dog (I laughed at the people who chose that option - their eyes got really big), Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare. I had hoped for something unusual, but the only thing we got like that was an extra taste of their new Bourbon Cream at 30 proof. It wasn't awful if you like Bailey's.
Mathguy64
AG
DDP

[This message has been edited by Mathguy86 (edited 4/8/2014 2:55p).]
Mathguy64
AG
The architecture and history at Woodford were nice but it's struck me as too commercial. You had to wear those headphones and it seemed really rehearsed. And then at the end they just dump you back at the house and you just grab a shot off the counter. The tasting at BT was neat. We were taught to rub the white dog on our hands and smell the changes over time. At WT I had Jimmy Russell's grandson giving the tour. 20 years ago my dad did the WT tour and Jimmy Russell did it himself.
austinag1997
AG
Josh,

The hard hat tour had very few, if any, extra perks. Extended tour is all I could discern.
austinag1997
AG
Mathguy,

We paid for the private tour. No headphones... and was well worth it. Got to try a barrel sample pulled from a whiskey thief off of the bottling run. Also got to take a jar of char off of the bottling run.

[This message has been edited by austinag1997 (edited 4/8/2014 4:39p).]
GregZeppelin
AG
I'm stayin in a hotel in east Texas theist few weeks for work, and liquor pickings are pretty slim.

I've gotten a little creative this week and I have to say, if you looking for a great sip on a budget, a 50-50 mixture of Old Charter 8 and chilled* Jim Beam Rye makes for an astonishingly, and unexpectedly, tasty glass of whiskey.

*I like my ryes cold, and since Beam Rye is only 80 proof I didn't want to ice it, pretty pleased with the result.
Aggiejue
AG
Any thoughts on the Michters 10 SIB or Bookers 25 yet? I'm trying to decide if it's worth looking around for them. Anyone still searching?
tx4guns
AG
Already got mine. Michters 10 is very good. I describe it as Noah's Mill, but better. Bookers 25th is also good, but kinda dry and oaky. Not worth the price IMO, but it's good trade fodder.
Aggiejue
AG
Sounds good. Would you compare the Bookers to Woodford double oak? The reason I ask is because I'm not to fond of it. Also, has anyone here used the sub-Reddit scotch swap?
Aggiejue
AG
Double post.

[This message has been edited by Aggiejue (edited 4/10/2014 3:31p).]
tx4guns
AG
No, I'd compare it to a more aged Bookers.
bonfiresmoke
quote:
I've gotten a little creative this week and I have to say, if you looking for a great sip on a budget, a 50-50 mixture of Old Charter 8 and chilled* Jim Beam Rye makes for an astonishingly, and unexpectedly, tasty glass of whiskey.

It is a shame that Old Charter quit making the 13 yr old, 12 yr old and now the 10 yr old. I still have a few handles of 12 and 10 stashed.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
^ i agree bonfire
TxKng82
AG
quote:
quote:

It is a shame that Old Charter quit making the 13 yr old, 12 yr old and now the 10 yr old. I still have a few handles of 12 and 10 stashed.

I have a few bottles of 12 stashed. Great bourbon. Little thin on the palate but good flavor. Still know plenty of spots around with 10 yr old so if I need some I can go grab it.
FlyFish95
quote:
handles

Quantum ace
AG
I have plenty of OC10 stashed, but only a few 200 ml bottles of the OC12. Its not amazingly great, but it is very enjoyable. I wish I could have stashed a couple extra bottles.

bonfire, would you happen to be interested in trading any of it?

[This message has been edited by Quantum ace (edited 4/11/2014 10:32a).]
Aggiejue
AG
Anyone close to Ontario or visiting Canada this weekend? My eyes have to be deceiving me! Supposedly, the Canadian government held up allocation due to the packaging ABV statement.

http://m.imgur.com/tdr0Meb
BourbonAg
AG
Was shocked to see that we actually had a bottle of Booker's 25th make it to Midland so I picked it up today.
the dude10
AG
quote:
quote:
I've been very impressed with my bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. Smooth and rich. I really like it. Next bottle I buy will be one of their single barrels.

The small batch is no slouch, but the single barrel is one of my favorites. Make sure to save some of the small batch so you can do a side by side tasting.

I will try this as well. Just tried the small batch for the first time last night and I am pretty sure it jumped to the top of my best value list. I also got some willett and it was very good but compared to the four roses not worth the price point.

Also, they had bookers 25th for around $85. I really wanted to go for it but my goal is to collect all of the great values in the $50 and under range while I am still cutting my teeth on this big world of bourbons.
First Page Last Page
Page 61 of 1099

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.