Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,871,176 Views | 38728 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by AgDev01
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whatever you say grandpa.
Naveronski
AG
I didn't start trying different bourbons until 3-4 years ago.
MarathonAg12
Anyone ever have Horse Soldier Bourbon before? Saw a bottle on the shelf the other day. I was hoping the story behind it is as good as the bourbon itself.

Created by the ODA 595, who inserted into Afghanistan days after the 9-11 attacks and were on horseback fighting with the Northern Alliance against the Taliban. Apparently each bottle is molded by a machine forged from a steel beam from the World Trade Center.

CactusThomas
AG
The better the story, the worse the bourbon
RGRAg1/75
AG
CactusThomas said:

The better the story, the worse the bourbon

Maybe. Here is one I've had, and for me, it's fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Hopefully their 12 year is the first of many amazing pours to come:

https://www.hootenyoung.com/history/

Norm Hooten is a retired senior NCO who served most of his career in Delta Force. His character is portrayed by Eric Bana in Black Hawk Down, which is a Hollywood version of the Battle of Mogadishu in Oct 1993.

https://taskandpurpose.com/mandatory-fun/army-delta-force-legend-black-hawk-down/
CactusThomas
AG
"The whiskey is aged 12 years and made with a mash bill of 99% corn and 1% barley. The spirit was distilled to 189 proof, barreled at 140 proof, and then bottled at 92 proof from second fill barrels."

Certainly doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in.
CharlieBrown17
AG
CactusThomas said:

"The whiskey is aged 12 years and made with a mash bill of 99% corn and 1% barley. The spirit was distilled to 189 proof, barreled at 140 proof, and then bottled at 92 proof from second fill barrels."

Aged corn vodka
John Francis Donaghy
CactusThomas said:

189 proof? That's just corn vodka at that point. Although 12 years in a second fill barrel should put some nice flavor into it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
So at my last duty station I knew an older guy with no **** 30K in inventory of whiskey at his place. Retired dude that made his cash years ago by manufacturing jeans/men's wear.

He was in the local bourbon club there and always willing to have people out to his place to drink and chat, think he was a little lonely but a good dude with great whiskey.

He was all excited to break out the 600 dollar whiskey he had picked up and thought I would enjoy.

It was some limited edition horse soldier that came with a ****ing challenge coin and a fancy box. It might have been one of the single worst whiskeys, definitely worst for the price, I've ever had.

So yeah, it's a gimmick.
CharlieBrown17
AG

This was a pretty standard lineup he'd have out when you got there, I brought the WP SiB because I knew he was a big fan of their stuff. Had a little book he'd keep track of who visited and what they tasted and how everyone rated things. I think one day we rated 6 things and then drew a line and drank another 6 but he didn't consider us in a state to be scientific at that point
MarathonAg12
Long story short, don't get the horse soldier.

I'll just buy some Belle Meade Reserve then.
CactusThomas
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

CactusThomas said:

Aged corn vodka

I was shocked by their transparency. That quote was from their website and it was presented like a selling point.
RGRAg1/75
AG
CactusThomas said:

Then don't buy/try it. Commerce is pretty simple.
MarathonAg12
Just had my first pour of JD Sib Barrel Proof.

Outstanding. Notes of bananas and vanilla. 130.5 proof and warms up the whole body.

I grabbed two of them for $43/ea
CactusThomas
AG
That **** is delicious. Bananas foster in a bottle.
LPHA
AG
Barrel pick update:

At some point relatively soon, Agdent and I are going to go talk to an owner I know who has said he'd be willing to help us out, and not ask for much or anything in return. He's already talked to his Russell's Reserve and 4R guys on our behalf,and they both said it sounded doable. I know RR isn't as sexy as WFP, OWA, etc., But I've had some damn good ones. I don't think I need to say anything about Four Roses picks.

Someone will update whenever there's more to update
LawHall88
AG
LPHA said:

Barrel pick update:

At some point relatively soon, Agdent and I are going to go talk to an owner I know who has said he'd be willing to help us out, and not ask for much or anything in return. He's already talked to his Russell's Reserve and 4R guys on our behalf,and they both said it sounded doable. I know RR isn't as sexy as WFP, OWA, etc., But I've had some damn good ones. I don't think I need to say anything about Four Roses picks.

FWIW, I'm in another group that recently did a Russell's barrel pick and it was fantastic.
Wheatables02
AG
LPHA said:

Barrel pick update:

Russells Reserve is the sexiest pick ever for me. In times a million.
CactusThomas
AG
Wheatables02 said:

LPHA said:

Barrel pick update:

Russells Reserve is the sexiest pick ever for me. In times a million.

Thank you
CactusThomas
AG
We're trying to drink this stuff, not sell it
Wheatables02
AG
CactusThomas said:

I would drink at least 5 in 6-10 months...
FriedTex
AG
LPHA said:

Barrel pick update:

LFG!
John Francis Donaghy
I might have to up my bottle commitment if we manage to get something from WT or 4R.
Daytona22
AG
Awesome news. Hope it works out. RR would be great.
MW03
AG
First barrel selection I ever sought out was a RR from a group in California. Excellent option.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Like being at The Chicken for last call, you don't take the sexiest, you take what you can get.

Thanks for continuing to chase this!
MarathonAg12
Count me in on the Barrel Pick. I'll be doing Dry February, so my collection is about to replenish.

Very tasty January though.
MarathonAg12
Robert C. Christian said:

Like being at The Chicken for last call, you don't take the sexiest, you take what you can get.

Thanks for continuing to chase this!

If you are at the Chicken during last call, you're doing at wrong. Mad hatters, dry bean or the Corner or upstairs at basil whippets was the place to be.

Chicken was the initial rally point.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
CactusThomas said:

Damn right
aggielostinETX
AG
Thanks man
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Copp
Russel's reserve is higher on my list for a barrel pick over 4r. I'll be happy either way, but I love some Russell's picks!
MarathonAg12
Starting dry February in a few hours.

So I picked up Basil Hayden's 10 Year Rye and Whistlepig 12 Year to look at until March 1st.

Wish me luck!
Icecream_Ag
S
MarathonAg12 said:

Starting dry February in a few hours.

So I picked up Basil Hayden's 10 Year Rye and Whistlepig 12 Year to look at until March 1st.

Wish me luck!

AggBock
AG
I started dry January today. A few weeks until dry February. I start that in 29th if there is one.
aggielostinETX
AG
Starting dry Feb tomorrow and whole30.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
First Page Last Page
Page 581 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.