Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,108 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
Aggie Hunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really figured someone on this board would have an ATM one.
62strat
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

Aggie Hunter said:

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3179294

Can some one explain the ice stamp and how it works?
It's a piece of metal, that melts a design into your ice cube. Once you use it, your ice cube will have an imprint of the design on the stamp. Once the ice melts, it will just be water and nobody will ever know there had been a design stamped into it back when it was still ice.

Do they work well? I assume you had to freeze it with stamp attached. Guess I can't see how just pushing it on (stamping) would actually make the design.
it's a variation of this, with a stamp on it.

LPHA
AG
I helped pick a barrel of Dickel for a store I go to more than I should, and it was an eye opening experience. I tried to drink the Dickel BiB before the tasting, but could not get into it. It's trash.

Of the 6 options we had, 2 barrels were literally neighbors. The first one we tried was good, and I think made it into our top 3, the second was an immediate pass. Just not good at all. I thought that was interesting seeing as they matured right next to each other. The one we ended up with tastes very good in my opinion, but I think I have to say that.
AggieBarstool
LPHA said:

I helped pick a barrel of Dickel for a store I go to more than I should, and it was an eye opening experience. I tried to drink the Dickel BiB before the tasting, but could not get into it. It's trash.

One person's trash is another's treasure. I think Dickel BiB is tasty. It's a far cry from the quality of common favorites but it holds it's own for the category it's in.
proc
AG
Picks are beginning to look like the wave of the future. YMMV with store picks, and there are some regional bourbon clubs that are starting to do their own picks and acquire essentially their own distribution chain. Now there are subgroups from those clubs banding together to do picks as well.

I have been invited to participate and "invest" in one of those subgroup pick purchases. If it works as well as I hope, I will share the results here. The next natural progression should be a Texags Bourbon Pick.
Naveronski
AG
We discussed that a while back, but I believe it's hit several roadblocks.
proc
AG
My bad, I've been a bourbon tater for a decade but I am a newcomer to this thread. I will probably expound on ideas that have been discussed a dozen times here.
betadawg1
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3179294

Can some one explain the ice stamp and how it works?

Naveronski
AG
Where'd you get that?
Superdave1993
AG
If this is the little squatty bottle then it should be pretty good. I picked up one in Nashville after a sample and then we announced we hired Jimbo later that day, so I cracked it open. I had a normal one and it was not as good. My local store just got a pick in and it is good like the first store pick. Dickle can be very hit or miss, but I would see if you can try it first, but both store picks have been above average.
betadawg1
AG
Naveronski said:

Where'd you get that?

My daughter and son-in-law had it made for me last Christmas.
Naveronski
AG
Very nice
LPHA
AG
I agree 100%. My point was that even if you don't like the Dickel BiB, I wouldn't write off a 9 yr store pick.
MarathonAg12
proc said:

Picks are beginning to look like the wave of the future. YMMV with store picks, and there are some regional bourbon clubs that are starting to do their own picks and acquire essentially their own distribution chain. Now there are subgroups from those clubs banding together to do picks as well.

I have been invited to participate and "invest" in one of those subgroup pick purchases. If it works as well as I hope, I will share the results here. The next natural progression should be a Texags Bourbon Pick.

Aggie Bourbon Pick? Sounds awesome.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Naveronski said:
Where'd you get that?

My daughter and son-in-law had it made for me last Christmas.

Where'd they get it?
aggiecouch
Today was a good day
RGRAg1/75
AG
aggiecouch said:

Today was a good day

proc
AG
aggiecouch said:

Today was a good day

Looks like somebody went to Total Wine today.
SpiderDude
AG
I've never seen an EHTBP in the wild. Never. At any price. See it all over ****ing Instagram tho.
Icecream_Ag
S
Little local place has George t Stagg if anyone wants to get me an early birthday present.
Sazerac
AG
Let's hear the story!
GarlandAg2012
AG
aggiecouch said:

Today was a good day

This has secondary market written all over it and until you tell me otherwise that's what I choose to believe so I don't get FOMO.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
Naveronski
AG
SpiderDude said:

I've never seen an EHTBP in the wild. Never. At any price. See it all over ****ing Instagram tho.

Same.
Only seen regular EHT in the wild when I was in CA.
Sazerac
AG
I've seen most everything "in the wild" ...at huge markups.

Never heard of EHT BP being purchased for retail from a shelf.
aggiecouch
No grand story or anything, just spent my day off hopping between a bunch of places in DFW. Don't Facebook as a matter of principle, guess I lucked out. Although ironically I couldn't find the main thing I was after.

Yeah, the EHTBP was from a shop but it was priced well over retail. But, their single barrel is one of my consistent favorites, and I've passed on a BP before and regretted it, so I was resolved to grab the next one I found. Can't wait to crack it open tonight.
MarathonAg12
Made some Whiskey Sours with Sazerac Rye and a few drops of grenadine to lower the heat.

Man, good drink.
AggieBarstool
proc said:

aggiecouch said:

Today was a good day

Looks like somebody went to Total Wine today.

Indeed. Stopped by, too, looking for the OF SB. Picked up a Henry McKenna 10 year SB BiB, so not all is lost.
CactusThomas
AG
Have you had that Belle Meade reserve before? What are your thoughts - I'm thinking about getting one.

Also, I'm jealous of that Old Forester.
aggiecouch
Nope, this is a first time buy for me. Discussion a couple of pages back piqued my interest. I wouldn't say I'm any sort of bourbon flavor profile expert, but tasting it now, it's got a lot of back end heat (which I like). Sweeter up front than OF 1920 (killing the last bit of a bottle of that ATM, so that's my basis of comparison). I wouldn't say this is can't-miss stuff, but it's not bad if you don't mind some heat. Prefer the 1920 honestly (more caramel and a little more syrupy mouth feel I think).
CactusThomas
AG
Thanks. I'll probably give it a shot.

I don't really expect much to be better than 1920 if that's going to be the standard.

I appreciate the write up.
aggiecouch
Lemme know what you think. If I'm giving crap advice, it'd be good to know.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Russell's Reserve Rye, bitters, and syrup dressed with lemon for the win tonight.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
1920 is a killer deal that you can find most anywhere. Agree with the syrupy feel on it and caramel notes. It helps with the heat and makes it delightful
John Francis Donaghy
Quote:

Quote:

Same.
Only seen regular EHT in the wild when I was in CA.

Quote:

Never heard of EHT BP being purchased for retail from a shelf

...how old are you guys? It sat on shelves collecting dust in most stores not that long ago.
Ornithopter
AG
CactusThomas said:

Have you had that Belle Meade reserve before? What are your thoughts - I'm thinking about getting one.

Also, I'm jealous of that Old Forester.

Belle Meade Reserve is absolutely fantastic.

I've almost gone through one bottle recently, and have a backup I bought halfway through so I wouldn't run out.
First Page Last Page
Page 580 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.