Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,269 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieLostinDallas said:

Starting dry Feb tomorrow and whole30.

Have fun. I've done whole 30. Not having alcohol is the least of your problems!

Edit to add: I know, I know. Take it to the health & fitness board!
Shaggie 05
AG
2 days left on dry January/whole30 (technically started on the 4th so we could eat and drink through the bowl games). It hasn't been so bad and I'm well on track to winning the family weight loss challenge $$$. Been really looking forward to that first whiskey Wednesday evening. Now it's just a matter of what to go with. Passed a KC15 in the store today that's looking like the current leader.
MarathonAg12
Decided to get on the Whole30 train for feb.

I think eliminating alcohol and dairy would be great.
SpiderDude
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Starting dry February in a few hours.

So I picked up Basil Hayden's 10 Year Rye and Whistlepig 12 Year to look at until March 1st.

Wish me luck!

Yeah. I did that last year. Not repeating that effort this year, thank you very much.
KellerAg15
AG
Long time reader, first time poster... Long story short I need to pick up a bottle today to take with me to a dinner tomorrow night. Budget is $100 and I've narrowed it down to either Belle Meade Reserve, Old Forester 1920, or Heavens Door. I wanted to run that by y'all to see if anyone had any suggestions. It looks like all 3 of those are readily available and have been highly thought of in this thread.
Pilger
AG
KellerAg15 said:

Long time reader, first time poster... Long story short I need to pick up a bottle today to take with me to a dinner tomorrow night. Budget is $100 and I've narrowed it down to either Belle Meade Reserve, Old Forester 1920, or Heavens Door. I wanted to run that by y'all to see if anyone had any suggestions. It looks like all 3 of those are readily available and have been highly thought of in this thread.
OF1920. Hands down.
Naveronski
AG
OF1920
Buck Compton
AG
OF1920 is my favorite of that bunch as well and should be under $60.

Only thing to be wary of is the 115 proof. If the people you're visiting aren't bourbon people or drinkers in general, even the smoother bite of 1920 will really put people off who aren't used to high proof. Belle Meade Reserve is near 108 as well, while Heaven's door is only 90.
Naveronski
AG
Ice cube?
CTGilley
AG
If you want compliments from whisky people 1920. Something easy for everyone to drink and surprise some people, Haven's Door. Belle Mead Reserve falls somewhere in-between those two.

Just for you, they are all good.
KellerAg15
AG
That's exactly the review I was looking for, thank you!
Buck Compton
AG
Completely agree that ice is an option, but it was just a fair warning to him depending on his host and something that not everyone considers when starting out or getting a gift.

If someone doesn't drink liquor, I typically won't start them with anything above 100 proof, even something pretty smooth like 1920. Even a lot of "liquor drinkers" are used to mixed drinks and lower proofs. Ice can help, but also changes what I like about some of the higher proof offerings.
CTGilley
AG
I am curious, what category do you fall into?

One I will through out is Four Roses Single Barrel if it is a gift. It is not my favorite but the bottle gifts well and I don't know anyone that dislikes it completely and it is one I am not offended to see mixed. It also impresses people that "drink whiskey" but may not "know whiskey" due to name recognitions. Not going to surprise anyone but makes you look "not cheap." YMMV TLDR
AGBrewer512
First time on this forum, glad to see someone else likes to drink bourbon.

Need some input from y'all on a bourbon that my dad is thinking of getting rid of. Not really sure what price he should be asking for.

Below are all the specs from the side of the bottle. He went to the distillery to tour it and ended up purchasing a few bottles.

• Pre-release bottle of Garrison Brother's Bourbon 375 mL.
  • Bottle #952 of 2000 from release date March 2010.
  • The Corn Variety is #1 Organic Yellow Dent from Corn Harvest 2007.
  • Dallam County is where the corn was sourced and it was distilled and barreled iin the Summer/Fall 2008.
  • Aged 1 year in Oak.
  • 50% / 100 proof.
MJ20/20
AG
If you found someone that is particularly interested in Garrison Brothers, it may be worth something to them, but on most auction sites Garrison Brothers struggles to get retail value. It doesn't hold up against most of the traditional Kentucky distillers.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Early garrison bros is also pretty garbage. Nothing against them, every new young bourbon sucks.

They've gotten better over the years but everything that early is novelty only. A lot of people buying secondary don't drink as much as they buy but the stuff commanding big bucks is still really good not rare drain pours.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
AGBrewer512 said:

First time on this forum, glad to see someone else likes to drink bourbon.

Need some input from y'all on a bourbon that my dad is thinking of getting rid of. Not really sure what price he should be asking for.

Below are all the specs from the side of the bottle. He went to the distillery to tour it and ended up purchasing a few bottles.

• Pre-release bottle of Garrison Brother's Bourbon 375 mL.
  • Bottle #952 of 2000 from release date March 2010.
  • The Corn Variety is #1 Organic Yellow Dent from Corn Harvest 2007.
  • Dallam County is where the corn was sourced and it was distilled and barreled iin the Summer/Fall 2008.
  • Aged 1 year in Oak.
  • 50% / 100 proof.

Garrison was absolutely terrible early on. I've heard it's gotten better with time.

I doubt anyone would pay anything for that bottle. Drain pour.
Naveronski
AG
Buck Compton said:

Completely agree that ice is an option, but it was just a fair warning to him depending on his host and something that not everyone considers when starting out or getting a gift.

If someone doesn't drink liquor, I typically won't start them with anything above 100 proof, even something pretty smooth like 1920. Even a lot of "liquor drinkers" are used to mixed drinks and lower proofs. Ice can help, but also changes what I like about some of the higher proof offerings.

That's fair, and I don't disagree with you, nor do I think you're wrong.
Just offering an idea if his friends don't care for the heat.
trouble
AG
I'm likely the only one here that would be interested in that bottle but it's well known that I'm the resident GB fangirl.
AGBrewer512
So how much do you think it is worth?
trouble
AG
I have no idea really. I didn't know there were any out there to be looking for.

I have nearly all the other bottlings.
AGBrewer512
Sounds like you "Need" this one...Ha!
jetch17
AG
Reading HBS today, I've never seen so many people jack each other off about Eagle Rare hitting town than today ... but then again that's anything that drops in Houston.

But JFC, crotch shots and 'found in the wild!' on ER!?

Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yep. I was able to stick around for about a week after Houston Bourbon Enthusiasts merged with HBS back in 2017 before I had to leave. Absolutely terrible.
proc
AG
There are several of those FB clubs in DFW. The showoffs are not my favorite, but the taters make it funny so it evens out.
AggieChemist
AG
I'm rewatching Justified. It's depressing to remember when you could find good bourbon on the shelf at MSRP.
CactusThomas
AG
I hear you but there is a **** load of great bourbon on the shelf for msrp today as well. These are the good old days. Enjoy them now.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I had the pleasure of meeting world renown bartender Christiaan Rollich this weekend. Spoke with him for about 30 minutes, super nice guy and very intelligent. He allowed me to taste Wellers 12 and rip van winkle at no charge. He also gave me two Blanton tops I was missing and gave me his book Bar Chef. This guy has forgot more than I will ever learn.
Buck Compton
AG
CactusThomas said:

I hear you but there is a **** load of great bourbon on the shelf for msrp today as well. These are the good old days. Enjoy them now.
Yep. As much as I really wish I could still pick up some of these bourbons like I could in 2010, the overall craze has brought a boatload of new great offerings and expanded distribution of some others.

Lots of consistently great stuff still out there. And I hope this craze calms down in Texas so I can find some of the currently rare stuff that I really like, but I have more than enough variety of good stuff to drink.
Wheatables02
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Yep. I was able to stick around for about a week after Houston Bourbon Enthusiasts merged with HBS back in 2017 before I had to leave. Absolutely terrible.
You don't like guns posted with average bourbon?

Funny thing is there is a guy who got kicked out of one of the annoying DFW clubs who constantly posts his sidearms with bourbon in HBS...

Another reason that I don't really participate in clubs or searching stores anymore....I'll just drink what I have.
AggieChemist
AG
CactusThomas said:

Well I don't disagree with you. I'm just feeling nostalgic for the days when Blanton's bottles were dusty on the shelves and I bought Pappy 20 for $129.

I'm sipping on Blade and Bow so I don't have much room to complain.
CactusThomas
AG
Fair enough
CactusThomas
AG
I actually love guns and average bourbon.
Wheatables02
AG
CactusThomas said:

I actually love guns and average bourbon.
Yes, but if every roll call pic you posted had a gun in it, you might be that guy...
jetch17
AG
And with nothing but 95% smokewagonnnnnnnn
First Page Last Page
Page 582 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.