Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,860,172 Views | 38615 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by Habanero Guero
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Van Winkle family does a little more than contract Buffalo Trace to make the PVW line. Julian is still the master distiller and he controls the entire line in terms of QC, from barrel selection to aging, so its not quite as simplistic as you say.

I get what you are saying, but I think you are being over simplistic for the sake of argument.
joshwayne330
^^^ sorry to say, but your statement is making your points even more invalid. Julian is NOT a master distiller and never has been. We should just move on to another discussion topic.
Quantum ace
AG
I am aware that the relationship between Buffalo Trace and Pappy has more complexity than I described.

My point is that if you are drawing a relationship between Weller and Pappy, Pappy is an offshoot or subset of Weller. It makes more sense to call Pappy a rich mans Weller, than the other way around.
schmellba99
AG
Jesus Christ, you win. This is really nothing more than splitting hairs and is really just a friggin common name associated with a home vatting process. Call it horse's ass blend for all I care, but you will have an uphill battle given the popularity of the process and the name.

Kbam guessing you will tel me that there is no such thing as a chicken fajitas and chastise me if I don't use kolbasnek or whatever the regional term is for a kolache/pig in a blanket.
DRE06
AG
Did another blind bourbon taste test tonight with the in-laws and friends.

7 tasters with 4 samples:
- Willet
- Angels Envy
- Bulliet Bourbon
- Michter's Sour Mash

Overall point winner: Michter's
Most 1st place votes (3): Angel's Envy
Quantum ace
AG
Sounds like you are taking this a little too seriously buddy. Take a deep breath and have a nice glass of pappys horse ass blend.

The vatting process to recreate the flavors of previous generations of Wellers has been around for a while, but the pappy tag has only been really friggin popular for a few months. I guess I don't feel the need to use new terms for old things when they don't fit very well. I didn't realize you were so attached to it, and I apologize if I came across to strong.
joshwayne330
quote:
Jesus Christ, you win. This is really nothing more than splitting hairs and is really just a friggin common name associated with a home vatting process. Call it horse's ass blend for all I care, but you will have an uphill battle given the popularity of the process and the name.

Kbam guessing you will tel me that there is no such thing as a chicken fajitas and chastise me if I don't use kolbasnek or whatever the regional term is for a kolache/pig in a blanket.

I really don't know much about chicken fajitas or kolaches, so you won't see me making comments/asserting facts about a topic I know little about.

On a side note, Four Roses is making some damn fine SiB Barrel Proofers if anybody can get their hands on a bottle I would recommend that - OBSO, OESV, OBSK are all drinking nicely.
dmart90
AG
Did a little taste test after the Twin Liquors sale. All pours into the shot glass (rinsed out in between) so just straight bourbon:

Elmer T Lee

I was really pleased. On a scale of 1-5 (with 5 being best), I'd give this a 3.5. For 90 proof bourbon, it is quite light. Sweet and rich vanilla flavor. Smooth with a little spice in the after taste. Quite nice.

Elijah Craig Small Batch 12

I guess I just don't like this bourbon. It is the strongest bourbon I have (94 proof). To me, it just has very little flavor and is harsh at the end. I'd rather drink Knob Creek. Maybe I'll try it in cocktails. On a scale of 1-5, I'd give it a 1.

Blanton's

Very robust, yet very smooth. Complex flavors (vanilla, honey, and oak) that linger. Really nice. On a scale of 1-5, I'd give it a 4.

Weller 12 Year

I really wanted to like this; I've heard good things about it. It wasn't bad, drank pretty smooth with a hint of vanilla and oak. Pretty smooth aftertaste with a little spice. Lame bottle. I'd give it a 2.5.

Bulleit 10

Nice and smooth. Oak and vanilla flavors. Spicy after taste. Not really all that much better than regular Bulleit, IMHO. Probably not worth the extra price. I'd give it a 3.5.

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Oaky taste, with a vanilla aftertaste. Pretty weak, but not bad. I'd give it a 2.

Bulleit

Up front, this has been my go to for a while, so I clearly like it. I usually cut it with a little water and it really brings out the flavors. Straight up I still found it to be smooth, with vanilla and honey flavors. A little spice in the after taste. I'll give this a 3.

I'm a bit of newbie at all this, so take this with a grain of salt.

[This message has been edited by dmart90 (edited 3/2/2014 5:03p).]

[This message has been edited by dmart90 (edited 3/2/2014 5:06p).]

[This message has been edited by dmart90 (edited 3/2/2014 5:06p).]

[This message has been edited by dmart90 (edited 3/2/2014 5:13p).]
austinag1997
AG
I'll preface the next statement with the fact that I am an idiot for accidentally deleting a bunch of emails...

I agreed to trade a bottle of ER17 for a bottle of Stagg with someone in Houston. Please recontact me if you still want to make this trade.

pointventureag AT gmail

Dan
Quantum ace
AG
dmart, that is a pretty solid lineup. I am especially jealous of the Elmer T Lee. Its one of my favorites, and I have not seen it on the shelf in Houston since about Christmas.
aggiemike89
AG
Hey Austinag, that was me. I can't PM you from my tablet but I will in the am. I'm still good for the trade. When are you coming thru Houston?
dmart90
AG
Thanks, Quantum! A buddy of mine who lives in Louisville is big time into bourbon - he gave me a few suggestions.
ChopThemHorns

Class of '09
A WHOOP
ChopThemHorns
Some pictures from bottling in Hye, Texas for Garrison Brothers. 2 days, free beer, Texas Music and plenty of Texas Whisky. Great time if you can make it. Great tasting whisky.. picked up a bottle of single barrel half off too.

my bottle

Class of '09
A WHOOP

[This message has been edited by ChopThemHorns (edited 3/3/2014 3:14p).]

[This message has been edited by ChopThemHorns (edited 3/3/2014 3:30p).]
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I will be touring the wine and bourbon distillery in 2 weeks.
Atty_Ag
Glad you enjoyed it. It is a fun time out at Garrison, no doubt. We have been bottling every year since they first started. This February was our seventh time to bottle.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Thought I'd bump this thread with a pic of the bar at The Old Owl Tavern.

schmellba99
AG
quote:
Sounds like you are taking this a little too seriously buddy. Take a deep breath and have a nice glass of pappys horse ass blend.

The vatting process to recreate the flavors of previous generations of Wellers has been around for a while, but the pappy tag has only been really friggin popular for a few months. I guess I don't feel the need to use new terms for old things when they don't fit very well. I didn't realize you were so attached to it, and I apologize if I came across to strong.

I am personally not attached to it at all to be honest. I was just explaining where the name came from, and then there was that post that has to just disagree with everything for whatever reason. You probably caught me on a bad day too, sorry.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
You two shoud just dock and hug it out.
tx4guns
AG
Ducks, looks like my cabinet.

Just picked up a Barterhouse 20 and an Old Blowhard 26 today. Debating on opining or keeping for trade fodder. Pretty rare stuff, and not cheap.
joshwayne330
quote:
Ducks, looks like my cabinet.

Just picked up a Barterhouse 20 and an Old Blowhard 26 today. Debating on opining or keeping for trade fodder. Pretty rare stuff, and not cheap.

I say trade away the Blowhard - Over priced and over wooded! The Barterhouse is probably a decent pour for the money assuming you like Old Charter Louisville...
joshwayne330
quote:
Thought I'd bump this thread with a pic of the bar at The Old Owl Tavern.

That's weak. They probably don't have any back ups bunkered. What an amateur bar, j/k. What city is this bar in?
tx4guns
AG
Any idea on secondary market value for them? I honestly have no idea.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Harrodsburg, KY
joshwayne330
quote:

Maybe an extra $50 above retail? I hear the allocation isn't "small" so they might be easier to obtain.
joshwayne330
If anyone is traveling to Baton Rouge, stop into a bar called 'Olive or Twist'. It's probably the best bourbon selection I have seen in the south.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:

I don't know about market value, but I think you have two options here
1) Find someone willing to pay well above msrp during the first wave of allocations, while initial curiosity is driving demand up.
2) Wait until after they are gone from shelves, and hope that the value continues to increase.

If this follows a Jefferson 17/18 path, holding it is your best bet. If it turns out the supply is large enough to actually keep this on shelves for a while, the initial hype will fade, and you may need to wait a couple extra years to get the most out of it.

Personally, I think bourbon in this age range is only going to increase in value, even if it turns out to be pretty mediocre stuff. If you have the spare cash and space, I would stash it.
austinag1997
AG
Crap... Just passed through Baton Rouge yesterday. Maybe next time.
He Gotta Touchdown!
AG
Ever since I graduated, I've been mainly an Irish whiskey drinker. Bought my first bourbon today (Woodford Reserve) and I'm on glass two right now. Trying to figure it out. Much bolder than I'm used to, but not quite as bitter or fruity as some of the Irish I've had. Any suggestions?
GregZeppelin
AG
Bourbons are going to be much fuller and richer than Irish whiskeys. Woodford is very good, but it is very woody, so if that's not your thing, you might try something like Buffalo Trace, which will be lighter with more caramel type flavors due to its very high corn content recipe, or a Wheater like Weller 12 which will be more mild and balanced due to its wheat content.

Others that are just fantastic value bourbons include Elmer T Lee, Elijah Craig 12, Eagle Rare 10, and Evan Williams Single Barrel.
Project Gemini
AG
quote:
Others that are just fantastic value bourbons include Elmer T Lee, Elijah Craig 12, Eagle Rare 10, and Evan Williams Single Barrel.

He forgot Larceny too.
tx4guns
AG
I always recommend Basil Hayden, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Rowan's Creek to newbies. Easy drinking stuff.
joshwayne330
I always recommend the readily available Sunny Brook so that there is one less person hunting for the highly allocated bottles..
AggBock
AG
Sunny Brook at the Hall of Fame. Good times!
aggiemike89
AG
Yeah leave those for us. You need to try Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey or the "crown jewel" Crown Royal. Those are the BEST!
First Page Last Page
Page 57 of 1104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.