Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,848,409 Views | 38489 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Pac1698
GregZeppelin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, what they said. I was totally wrong, I'm so stupid. *nervous laugh*. Of course all those bourbons are terrible. Evan Williams Black Label is about the best stuff on Earth, or if you're really looking to splurge go for Very Old Barton.

What? My eye? I...uh.... walked into a door. Yeah, definitely a door and not because I got beaten by the rest of the Bourbon Thread posters....
Mathguy64
AG
Just remember they keep the very best bourbons on the bottom shelf. It's Just like the bottom floor in the rickhouse that has the least temperature variation from season to season. That's where the best barrels are.

I swear.
joshwayne330
And whenever it doubt, always pick a plastic bottle over a glass bottle.
FlyFish95
Plastic bottles with screw tops always contain the best of the best.
TxKng82
AG
Damn I'm glad i found this treasure at the store then since it's obviously the good stuff!!!

Mathguy64
AG
Gallon sized plastic bottles with screw tops. You get volume discounts. The other option is to get the 80 proof preflavored winners. That way you save on mixers and can drink more without that pesky hammered feeling.
aggiemike89
AG
Damn you TXKng, now the Sunny Brook secret is out. Look out now.
tx4guns
AG
Anybody interested in an Orphan Barrel Old Blowhard 26 year and Barterhouse 20 year? I have extras.
joshwayne330
^^^That's not a good sign. How is the Barterhouse? I was planning to pick 1 up when the next round of cases hits Houston this week.
Quantum ace
AG
If my store of choice has a bottle Barterhouse at msrp, I might grab one. I think it has a decent chance to appreciate in value over the next few years, but overall I am not that intrigued.
tx4guns
AG
I'm offering for retail. I tried the Barterhouse Friday, and it's good, but I just don't need it in my collection.

Quantum, I met your buddy at the tasting. Knowledgeable guy!
joshwayne330
^^^ I might take you up on it if I can't find a Barterhouse by the end of the week.
tx4guns
AG
Josh, where are you? I'll bring it to you if you are near Houston.
joshwayne330
^^^ Spring

Username@yahoo.com
AggBock
AG
I have a bottle of Sunnybrook I am willing to trade. IM me if interested. Looking for a bottle of jack or turkey.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Quantum, I met your buddy at the tasting. Knowledgeable guy!

Was that Wade? He does know his bourbon, and he is a pretty decent fellow as well.
tx4guns
AG
Yessir. I remembered him from the AE event bc he was asking all the questions.
agmatt06
AG
Anybody going to the Houston Whiskey Festival tonight?
htxag09
AG
I'll be there...
wadd96
AG
Picked up a Michter's and Knob Single Barrel last night at Twin Liquors Hancock in Austin.

They had an AE Cask in the box for ~$150, but I decided to pass.

(Also found some Green Spot at Spec's Highland Park today!)

"It's not revenge... It's the reckoning... - Marcus Luttrell, USN Retired.
tx4guns
AG
Wadd, if they have an extra Michters, I would be interested in it. I'll trade you my Barterhouse straight up or cash. Let me know... Email is in my profile.

I found AE Rye batch #1 and Green Spot yesterday at Specs in Houston.
jobu93
AG
Whiskey Fest was a giant Charlie Foxtrot.

We got there at 7 and didn't see any of the food that was advertised. Also, PVW was listed on their website and there was none to be seen (as I had expected).

Yellow Rose was out by 8 pm as was the Woodford Reserve.

There was scotch, wine, vodka, rum, and a few bourbons and Irish and Canadian whiskers.

I've found that any maple whiskey I try is absolute swill in my opinion because the maple just slams you in the taste buds.

We left the place by 8:15. I think they had more than they expected show up. Money went to a good cause though.
htxag09
AG
Agree about whiskey fest. We got the VIP tickets so got in at 6. So we were able to try quite a few of the whiskeys in that first 45 minutes. After that, it sucked. Also, the food was awesome while it lasted, but they did run out quickly. They did say more was on the way, but we left a little after 8, and it wasn't there by then.
Kid A
AG
I'm looking to trade a 4 Roses 125. Let me know if interested.
tx4guns
AG
Kid A, I am interested. Email in my profile.
agmatt06
AG
Yeah. We got there about 8. Couple of stations where out. No high profile whiskers there.

There was a burlesque show later in the night which was pretty cool.

Probably stayed till 930 and then hit other places.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I did the Garrison Brothers tour this past weekend and it was awesome. Very educational and I now have a better understanding of why it is priced at the current rate. They released their first single barrel and it bottled only 50 total. I picked up a bottle and I got to drop it in the pewter wax. The bottle is signed by both the owners and master distiller. I got to add my own personal touch with my ring instead of the star. Highly recommend this tour if you are in Fredericksburg.

The Single Barrel

My bottle- #20 of 50

Their original still and GB master distiller

This is 1 of 2 new stills increasing production

[This message has been edited by Mr. McGibblets (edited 3/16/2014 8:10p).]
Atty_Ag
Everyone should go do the tour. That is Donnis Todd. If you get him telling stories, he's got some great ones. I've been enjoying the single barrel, too. It's not a bad deal when they let you buy it at half price when you are out there on the premises.
FriedTex
AG
Took 3 days but I finally made it through 58 pages of this thread! Very informative and added some bourbons to my list to try. It is funny to see the evolution of opinions on Garrison brothers

I'm in Indiana, so I got my first taste of Bourbon as the wife and I headed down to Louisville a couple years ago. Started with Woodfords and have since moved around in the 30-50 dollar range. Being this close to KY we get a steady flow of all the bourbons you guys have listed

I am surprised that makers mark 46 hasn't gotten more run on this thread - best bang for the buck IMO

Bulleit on the other hand is pretty underwhelming IMO

Question: anyone here had Breckenridge? Curious to hear what you guys think
joshwayne330
I would have needed a stiff drink in hand to read through 58 pages! Glad you could add some new bottles to your BUY list.

You probably don't hear that much about Makers 46 because speaking for myself as a wheater fan, there are better options out there IMO. Well, better dusty wheaters I should say that have been bunkered and now being consumed. I do think MM 46 is definetly a step up from the standard MM. If I was sitting at a bar, sure I would buy a pour. Maybe one day MM will get smart and bottle a 10-12 year 100 proofer...

Whoop04
Anyone have an opinion of Michters small batch bourbon or sour mash whiskey? I have a couple more pours of FRSmB and am looking for my next.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Question: anyone here had Breckenridge? Curious to hear what you guys think

I like it, but it is a little pricy. You can definitely find better bourbon for the money, but its not a terrible buy if you just want some variety.

quote:
I am surprised that makers mark 46 hasn't gotten more run on this thread - best bang for the buck IMO

MM46 is pretty good, but I wouldn't put it at the top of my personal "bang for buck" rankings. I like Four Roses Single Barrel much more for the same price, but I can't fault anyone for disagreeing with me on that one. MM46 has a relatively distinctive flavor, so I can see it being a personal favorite for some people. If thats your thing, enjoy it!

[This message has been edited by Quantum ace (edited 3/18/2014 10:39p).]
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Maybe one day MM will get smart and bottle a 10-12 year 100 proofer...

It won't happen in the foreseeable future. It goes completely against their business model... of 4 and done, get it out the door. They allude to it multiple times on their tours.
Mathguy64
AG
MM46 is really off putting to me. It has a really strong tobacco flavor on my palate. I have half a bottle that will probably end up in the sink one day.
joshwayne330
quote:
quote:
Maybe one day MM will get smart and bottle a 10-12 year 100 proofer...

It won't happen in the foreseeable future. It goes completely against their business model... of 4 and done, get it out the door. They allude to it multiple times on their tours.

It would be nice if they held back .5% of their barrels for an older special release product. I have heard that the infamous/discontinued MM black label which is aged a bit longer and a higher proof was a stand out pour.
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 1100

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.