Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,866,056 Views | 38667 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by srob2004
joshwayne330
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I must have given MM too much credit, I was thinking they were bottling at 6-7 years, rather than the barely legal 4 year mark...
FriedTex
AG
http://youtu.be/wTVI2l5WjO8

I'm not quite sure where you are getting the 4 year claim. This video at least shows the process of maturing it - 6.5yrs to make regular MM, another 4months with these different wood staves

Mathguy, feel free to ship me your bottle I might just like more complex tasting bourbons - FR single barrel is too mellow for me, I'd probably be one of the guys who likes Stagg Jr neat as well

Good to jump in the conversation with you fellas

Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Mathguy, feel free to ship me your bottle I might just like more complex tasting bourbons - FR single barrel is too mellow for me, I'd probably be one of the guys who likes Stagg Jr neat as well

FRSB isn't a big, bold, slap yo mamma style bourbon, but I have never found it lacking for complexity. A lot of the flavors are a bit on the lighter side, but they play well with each other.

I do enjoy Stagg Jr neat at times, but I think it takes a little water for all of the flavors to come out. Bookers is one of the higher proof bourbons I love neat. I think you lose a bit of complexity, but the flavors you do get are just so bold and rich.
Aggiejue
AG
Anyone came across a Bookers 25th? I'm hearing a few stores in Dallas received a case and the Goody Goody in Humble had a bottle or so.
aggiemike89
AG
Came across the Booker's anniversary today at a store. I was looking for Old Blowhard or Barterhouse. He was $200 for his Bookers. I didn't buy it.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
you were looking for Old Blowhard or Barterhouse and passed on Bookers 25th?
aggiemike89
AG
Yeah I know. Kick me in my rear but my budget is depleted and I only had so much cash on me. My wife saw our AMEX bill last fall from all of the PVW that I bought.
Aggiejue
AG
I would pass on $200 as well. If you are close to San Antonio I can help you out with the Orphans.
austinag1997
AG
FriedTex,

They don't age all of their barrels to 6.5 years. Some maybe... some as early as 4 years based on tasting.

In any event, my point was that there business model is to pull it from the barrels as soon as possible. They don't have any interest in aging 10-12 years. In fact, they offer a tasting of 4 MMs on the tour: (a) white dog (b) MM (c) M46 and (d) an "over-aged" MM. They tried to make the point that leaving the product in the barrel for 12 years or longer is not a good thing. They made this statement ignoring superior products that age that long or longer.

So, whether its 4 years or 7 years (the truth is both are correct), MM won't be making a 10-12 yr bourbon anytime soon.
joshwayne330
^^^ my guess is that for their "overaged" sample they pull the worst barrels possible in the least desirable part of the rick house to try and convince people that older isn't better. I think certain Weller products have debunked their theory.
Mathguy64
AG
When I toured the bourbon trail a couple of years ago MM noted they pulled to taste in the 4.5 to 5.5 range. They claimed the barrel rotation they do makes it possible to get mass amounts of even product that way. That's their market plan and they are sticking to it.

Both BT and HH made the comment that long term aging in the 15-20 year range is difficult ( and over 20 takes exceptional knowledge and skill) and that unless you really know what you are doing in terms of rick house management and barrel placement you just end up with heavy oak taste that is not pleasant.
FriedTex
AG
That makes a lot of sense mathguy
joshwayne330
Did they mention how often they move the barrels? They might be the only big distillery rotating barrels as I don't recall hearing about that practice often.
austinag1997
AG
That is pretty consistent with the information I got this past October. I also got the impression they were rotating barrels quite frequently. They had an elevator in the rickhouse for moving barrels up and down. I suspect there were barrel rails on each level to facilitate movement to the elevators. Quite a bit of work, but probably necessary to get barrels aged to their taste every 4 - 6 years.
austinag1997
AG
Josh,

Their "overaged" sample was not overtly bad. Certainly not good, but I am certain you are correct... they intentionally pull a sample from a barrel that was left in a part of the rickhouse to long just to make a point for their business model.
Mathguy64
AG
I believe they are the only one rotating all of their barrels. IIRC it takes about 5 months.
austinag1997
AG
I visited 10 distilleries in October. Makers was the only of those 10 that mass-rotated barrels. So, I believe you are correct.
FriedTex
AG
After wading through y'all's recommendations picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12yr today

But while at the liquor store I noticed a bottle of Old Blowheart and Barterhouse 'orphan barrels' for 187 and 88 respectively

Any good? Is that a good price? (Link below suggests otherwise)

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/03/16/3144062/diageo-raids-warehouses-for-orphan.html
joshwayne330
I took a gamble and picked up a Barterhouse for $69. The other bottle, well the name says it all...
austinag1997
AG
Bourbon and Banter didn't have much good to say about them. Specs in Austin is loaded up with them. I opted for a JPS 25 Rye instead.
FriedTex
AG
I don't think my wife nor my wallet are able to deal with 180 bucks for a bottle
austinag1997
AG
I wish I would have held off... found 2 bottles of Handy today. Paid a pretty penny, but couldn't resist my favorite this year.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
antique collection is still out there!
Mathguy64
AG
Or they did a second/spring release.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I am saying bottles from the fall are still on shelves
Whoop04
quote:
So, how does Four Roses get away with “10 recipes?” It works like this:

The company has two standard mashbills, a blend of grains used for fermentation. These are normally closely guarded secrets. The two mashbills are “OE:” 75% corn, 20% rye, and 5% barley. And “OB:” 60% corn, 35% rye, and 5% barley. That OB mashbill is a whole lot of rye for a bourbon.
To these two mashbills, the company adds five different strains of yeast, fermenting and aging them separately. Each yeast adds a much different character to the final spirit.
Do the math: 2 mashbills x 5 yeasts = 10 recipes.
After they’re aged, Four Roses then blends these various recipes into its final bourbons, with hundreds of combinations available.
And that’s why various Four Roses bottlings taste so different from one another. Four Roses Single Barrel is made exclusively from OB mash with “V” yeast, and I find it to be a very hot bourbon, where that rye content really comes through. Four Roses Small Batch is made from half OE and half OB, with each of those fermented with “K” and “O” yeast. The result is a wildly different whiskey, with an amazing balance of sweet and spice and a lush finish.

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2010/10/01/drinking-bourbon-with-four-roses-master-distiller-jim-rutledge/
austinag1997
AG
They were the fall releases still on the "shelf". Hidden in the back by the owner waiting for somebody to ask. I asked and he took advantage of me!
FriedTex
AG
So back in Texas for the weekend visiting the in laws - had my BIL pick up a bottle for us to split. He picked up 1835 out of Ft. Worth, gotta say I'm really impressed with it for the price
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Walked into a liquor store yesterday and they had two bottles of TH Handy on the shelf.
austinag1997
AG
So did you procure them?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Thought about it but passed. Don't care for anymore Handy.
Quantum ace
AG
How much were they selling the Handy for?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
$199
Mathguy64
AG
At $199 it's going to sit there forever.
austinag1997
AG
$199.
First Page Last Page
Page 59 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.