Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,837,497 Views | 38399 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Dallas Ag03
joshwayne330
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
Yeah, the original XR with the red bag/box was from Waterloo barrels. That's been discontinued for several years now and the current blue offering is from La Salle. I doubt there are many Waterloo barrels still floating around. If so, they would be 20+ years old.

I will give you a sample of my open '70 Crown, it should be very similar. Nice rye notes and great viscosity for 80 proof.

I saw a red box XR yesterday, but I passed on it at $140. I never got into the higher end Canadian stuff, so I have no idea if that was worth it or not.
TxKng82
AG
^^
Yeah the old stuff from Waterloo was pretty good. Is it worth $140? No. But if I ever get the inkling for it I know a couple places that still have it up on the shelf around $110-120
Aggiejue
AG
Four Roses 2014 LE Single Barrel OESF. I can't wait to try this one and compare to my 2013. Unfortunately, I missed out on the 125th.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=14008001000268
Quantum ace
AG
This sounds intriguing. From what I understand, the F recipes are their lowest volume, and are primarily used for blending in the yellow label. I really enjoy bourbons that are a little unbalanced and different, so I am really looking forward to this one.
armadillojackal02
AG
what's the best twin liquors for bourbon in San Antonio?
chadclay
AG
Twin Liquors Marketplace on 281 near Bitters. They are also the only Twin Liquors in San Antonio that gets BTAC, PVW, etc.

http://twinliquors.com/blog/store/twin-liquors-68/#.Uw0XUo29LCQ
joshwayne330
quote:
Four Roses 2014 LE Single Barrel OESF. I can't wait to try this one and compare to my 2013. Unfortunately, I missed out on the 125th.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=14008001000268

Yeah, when I saw the formula used and age I was a little concerned. Based on the description on the back of the bottle, I am now intrigued. Let's see if we can find it once it's released. I haven't seen the SiB LE on the shelf since the 2011 bottling. Luckily, I knew folks around the country willing to move the '12 and '13 so I ended up with a couple of bottles...
austinag1997
AG
I picked up a bottle of 2012 LE OESK that I haven't popped open yet. I'll probably get to that this weekend. I, also, am intrigued by the tasting notes on that back of that bottle.
Aggiejue
AG
The label notes did it for me as well! It was tough locating the LE SB 2013 that I found back in November and impossible with the 125th.
Aggiejue
AG
Double post.

[This message has been edited by Aggiejue (edited 2/25/2014 7:58p).]
austinag1997
AG
Interestingly enough, I opted for the 2012 over the 2013. Should have bought both!
Señor Chang
AG
Picked up a bottle of Angels Envy Cask Strength along with Rowan's Creek and FRSB at Twin Liquors today. AECS wasn't on sale though.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
The AE rye is way better IMO
Mathguy64
AG
Twin Liquor 3 day $1 over sale = nothing of interest is on the shelf sale.

Wow. The shelves were full of Jack Daniels, George Dickel and every other bottom of the shelf brad you could imagine. No Blantons, no Rock Hill Farms, nothing from FR at all of any kind, no Eagle Rare, no EC12. It was disappointing.
Señor Chang
AG
Mathguy, I saw every single one of those at the twin liquors on 281 in SA
Mathguy64
AG
Unfortunately CS was barren.
TxKng82
AG
Kind of glad to hear that. Was going to make a business trip to CS today to hit up the sale but me and a buddy decided to just have a bourbon lunch in Htown instead. Makes me feel better nothing of worth was on sale.
armadillojackal02
AG
I saw all those in San Antonio as well. ended up with 4 roses single barrel, eagle rare 10 yr, Jefferson reserve, and sazerac.

I love eagle rare and Elmer t lee... how do the Elijah Craig 12 and Evan Williams SB compare?
schmellba99
AG
Evan Williams SB is a good drink, but it's a lot like ETL in the fact that's a bit underwhelming. Very smooth, but not much in the spice or oak department by any stretch.

Elijah Craig 12 year is, for me anyway, the best bang for the buck bourbon on the shelf. I like it a lot better than Eagle Rare and every other like priced and aged juice. It is very smooth, but has good oak, spice and vanilla tones on the finish. ER is much rougher around the edges and doesn't have nearly the complexity or smoothness.
bonfiresmoke
Thumbs up on the Evan Williams SB. Good drink for the price.
dmart90
AG
At the Twin Liquors near me in Cedar Park, I just picked up bottles of:

* Blanton
* Evan Williams Single Batch
* Elmer T Lee Single Batch
* Weller 12 Year
* Bulleit 10 Year

All on sale.
Atty_Ag
This time for the Twins sale, I went with:
Old Forester Single Barrel (never had this before)
Rock Hill Farms
Four Roses Single Barrel
Jefferson Reserve
Eagle Rare 10
Weller 107 and Weller 12 (going to try that poor man's Pappy y'all have mentioned several times)

Should get me through the spring at least.
joshwayne330
I have always wondered why people call mixing Weller 12 year with OWA 7 year "Poor Man's Pappy" when the youngest true Pappy is 15 years old?!?
Atty_Ag
What do you suggest we po' folk call it Mr. Josh?
Quantum ace
AG
It is closer to poor mans Weller Centennial, but I'll always just call it SB blend.

The pappy thing just filler crap that kept getting recycled in all the articles. It might qualify as a homeless crackheads pappy. It's good stuff, just not really anything close to pappy.
joshwayne330
quote:
What do you suggest we po' folk call it Mr. Josh?

I could care less what it's called, just curious on the correlation between the 2. Please educate me
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Please educate me

It's "I couldn't care less..."
schmellba99
AG
quote:
just curious on the correlation between the 2. Please educate me

Pappy (whether it's 10, 15, 20 or 23), OWA and Weller 12 are all the same juice.

Pappy gets more attention and far better barrels than OWA or Weller 12, but the juice is all #1 Wheated.

Vatting OWA and Pappy 12 in a 60/40 mix gives a somewhat close flavor to a Pappy 15 or so, though nobody is stating that they are the same by any stretch.

OWA and Weller 12 are readily available, and not expensive.

Ergo, "Poor man's Pappy".
joshwayne330
^^^ thanks for the detailed information. I might start calling Old Charter the "Poor Man's Eagle Rare 17" since it's the same juice. That sounds better...
Atty_Ag
Sorry, I thought it was well known on this thread what Schmellba posted. I want to see what all the hubbub is about.
joshwayne330
^^^ do you agree with his comments? If you haven't tried the blend he is referring to you will be disappointed if you think it's going to taste remotely close to PVW15. The only bourbon in the same conversation with PVW15 is PHC4. Just wish HH would put out a barrel proofer on a regular basis to calm the Pappy craze...
Atty_Ag
Dunno if I agree with him because I've never tried it. I have had ORVW 10 and Pappy 15 and 20. I've never tried the 60/40 Weller Antique/12 yr concoction. However, googling "poor man's pappy" produces 417,000 results, so someone's tried it. The Twin Liquors $1 sale seemed like a good opportunity to mix them up. I guess I need to find a decanter or start drinking one or the other to make some room.
schmellba99
AG
What is PCH4?

And the mixing of OWA and Weller needs to vat for a month or so.

Saying it is not remotely close to PV15 is a bit disingenuous to me. I suppose if you have a palate that is very refined you could say that, but to me there are similar flavors. The 15 is no doubt the better drink, but the poor mans vat is not bad.

Full disclosure - I have but limited experience with the vatting.
joshwayne330
^^^ PHC4 is Parkers Heritage Collection 4th edition bottled by Heaven Hill. It is a 10 year barrel proof wheater (1 time release). It will cost you $500+ on the secondary.

To each is own, on what tastes close to Pappy 15, but there is a lot more to it than just being the same recipe. Just look at the different bourbons bottled with the BT #2 Mashbill. They can be completely different flavor profiles based on age and barrel location on the rickhouses.
Quantum ace
AG
I like the OWA/Weller 12 combo a lot, but I find the "poor mans pappy" tag to be pretty misleading, and a disservice to Weller. They do have some similar characteristics, so you might enjoy the cheaper homemade blend if you cannot get pappy, but I do not find it to be a lesser version of pappy at all. Pappy is a brand, that buys bourbon it thinks is good enough to deserve a pappy label. What bourbon do they buy? Weller. Pappy contracts Weller to make bourbon, to be packaged and sold with a pappy label. Calling Weller a poor mans pappy is like saying it is a poor mans paper label and glass bottle. To me, all labels and glass bottles taste about the same.

You are mixing Weller with Weller to attempt to recreate the flavor of older Wellers. The pappy hype is annoying enough as it is, so there is no reason to smear it all over a nice glass of Weller.

I understand where the comparison and the term came from, but stop using it now that you know better.
First Page Last Page
Page 56 of 1098

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.