Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,871,978 Views | 38742 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by trouble
AggBock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It would have been gay if it was a Handy.
WES2006AG
AG
AggieBarstool said:

If I have to ask an associate if they "have any stuff in the back" I'm going to stop going to that store. I know that doesn't amount to a damned thing for their volume, but it makes me feel better.
This conversation was the reason I pretty much stopped looking for hard to find bourbons. Not only do I have to have an awkward conversation with the store clerk but then get to watch them feel like they are doing me a favor for selling me a bottle for what is likely already over retail.

Soured the whole experience for me.
CTGilley
AG
That is pretty much all Specs around here. Most of they want you to ask for a specific bottle or they will not tell you what they have. Around here at least.
bdburden
Been a Texags visitor for many years and a premium at times. I had no idea this thread existed. Not a graduate but my brother in law and sister graduated from here and I have been an Aggie at heart my entire life because of them. I chose Film School but would trade it for a ring in a heart beat.

The brother in law like I said is an Aggie Grad who now teaches at UK. I became a lover of Bourbon when I went on a trip to visit Buffalo Trace and James E Pepper.

Now I am
35 bottles into a collection(Weller SR, 107, 12year, Eh Taylor, ERare) and looking forward to sharing and hearing all about what all great pours you Aggies are enjoying.
MJ20/20
AG
Awesome. Glad you found this thread. It's a lot of fun and includes a lot of great people.
AGdent07
AG
Alright guys here's the newest update on the barrel pick. My liquor store owner has talked with four roses, old forester, and Russels reserve. Due to the extremely high demand for barrels they are limiting stores to only one barrel at a time and starting them at the bottom of the list each time. He currently has a barrel pick with both four roses and Russels. They are both about a year to a year and a half out which means we would have to wait until the next barrel. Im super frustrated with the process and had some doubts. I called a friend who is the regional sales manager for Southern Glazers. He spoke with the four roses rep and confirmed that there is a huge demand for barrels and that the supply is limited. My buddy is going to see what he can do for us and try to help us out. My store owner does picks with HBS so he is very familiar with the process however I have a good feeling that we are being skipped over. Im still not giving up though and we will eventually have a 12th man pick. If any of you have a connection that you would like to share please message me. Thanks guys. God I wish my area wasn't so picked over and that I could be enjoying something special right now. Hope you guys are having better luck. I tend to show up after its gone.
Wheatables02
AG
AGdent07 said:

Alright guys here's the newest update on the barrel pick. My liquor store owner has talked with four roses, old forester, and Russels reserve. Due to the extremely high demand for barrels they are limiting stores to only one barrel at a time and starting them at the bottom of the list each time. He currently has a barrel pick with both four roses and Russels. They are both about a year to a year and a half out which means we would have to wait until the next barrel. Im super frustrated with the process and had some doubts. I called a friend who is the regional sales manager for Southern Glazers. He spoke with the four roses rep and confirmed that there is a huge demand for barrels and that the supply is limited. My buddy is going to see what he can do for us and try to help us out. My store owner does picks with HBS so he is very familiar with the process however I have a good feeling that we are being skipped over. Im still not giving up though and we will eventually have a 12th man pick. If any of you have a connection that you would like to share please message me. Thanks guys. God I wish my area wasn't so picked over and that I could be enjoying something special right now. Hope you guys are having better luck. I tend to show up after its gone.
Thanks for doing this and at least trying. After you took over the process, my guy left his store to become a Pest Control person. Ugh.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
AGdent07 said:

I know the owner of the Blind Pig here in Houston is an Aggie and said he knows about Texags, but doesn't post. He said he would be more than happy to help us with a barrel
MJ20/20
AG
I recently talked to a friend that was part of a group that did a barrel pick of Willet Family Estate. They selected a 7 yr. bourbon at around 128 proof. I'm sure that distillery is backlogged similar to the other options, but it may be something far enough off the heavily treaded path of four roses, turkey, etc... that may work.
AGdent07
AG
Thanks. Yeah if you want to ask him and see where that goes I would really appreciate it.
John Francis Donaghy
Thanks for putting in the effort Dent.

I don't have any connections to offer, but I'll reiterate that I'm in for my bottles regardless of the distillery* and whether they come in 6 months or 2 years. I just want to see this succeed and become a regular thing going forward.

Any wisdom in getting on multiple lists now? If we're looking at late 2021 or 2022 already for our first barrel, getting on multiple lists now might get us in line for our second in 2023, 3rd in 2024, and so on.

Exception: Garrison
mazag08
AG
Let's pivot to Scotch.
Farmer1906
AG
mazag08 said:

Let's pivot to Scotch.
Hard pass.
DDSO
AG
Thanks for trying. I am still in whenever it happens.
bdburden
what area are you in? I can keep a look out around North DFW if I know what you are wanting? I have parents that live down near BCS so could always meet up and get something to you when I visit them
ClickClack
AG
Got this today
SnyderAg02
Nice, where did you make your find?
bdburden
Old Tub is a go to at that price range. Wouldn't mind finding a Bookers
ClickClack
AG
SnyderAg02 said:

Bedford, New Hampshire. State owned liquor stores. I'm able to make some really nice finds up here that we're very difficult in Texas. They had 14 little books at this location according to their online inventory.
ClickClack
AG
bdburden said:

Old Tub is a go to at that price range. Wouldn't mind finding a Bookers

Drinking the Tub now in a glencairn (to try something different). I actually really like the flavors that are getting accentuated drinking it this way. I'm a fan.
SnyderAg02
That's awesome. It's so hard to find anything here in DFW. I drove by total wine before a chiropractor appointment on Monday and there were folks lined up solely for bourbon.
AGdent07
AG
SnyderAg02 said:

Two Specs by me both had several (3-4) in the glass case. Where are you located? I could probably send you in the direction of one if you are close
SnyderAg02
North Richland Hills
AGdent07
AG
SnyderAg02 said:

North Richland Hills
Im in Houston area
SnyderAg02
Bummer. Have you tried the Bardstown Discovery Series? Curious what you think.
MW03
AG
Passed on a bunch today. Just couldn't justify the prices.

Sam Houston @ $110
Bardstowm @ $125
Old Ezra 7 @ $130 (lol)
Booker's @ $150 (lol)
Little Book @ $200 (lol)

Just can't bring myself to do it, especially for the last three. The bummer is that I can't find any KC anymore, other than the standard offering. One place even had Belle Meade allocated.

My local Goody Goody got one case each of Blanton's, Staff Jr, and Eagle Rare. They left the empty boxes out at the office so every knob walking up could see that they were gone.

Tough sledding out there.
Farmer1906
AG
Yikes.

I'm enjoying some 1972 store picks.
the dude10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yikes.

I'm enjoying some 1972 store picks.

My wife took the last pour from my open bottle tonight! Really glad I grabbed a couple when I saw it
Farmer1906
AG
There's a local spot near me. I must have bought 10 of these bottles over the last several months.
CTGilley
AG
SD is everywhere right now. I will not pass up a 1792 full proof.
bdburden
yeah no way. I'm not sure why people are willing to drop that kind of money
Saint Pablo
Thoughts on Dickel bottled in bond??
Sazerac
AG
The worst
Chipotlemonger
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Very divisive. Most like it apparently more on the 2nd try and the bottle has been open a while.
MW03
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Saint Pablo said:

Very divisive. Most like it apparently more on the 2nd try and the bottle has been open a while.

Yeah, it's pretty tasty after a bit of time. Not great freshly opened though.
First Page Last Page
Page 538 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.