Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,838,652 Views | 38429 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by atmag95
Pasquale Liucci
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not bourbon related but did a quick search and I couldn't find anything. Cognac intrigues me and some of the big Facebook bourbon groups have some cool stuff going with barrel picks.

Any of the TA bourbon drinkers have recommendations on a good, moderately priced and readily available cognac?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Someone put up the Tx4Guns bat sign
trouble
AG
Had these tonight with the BVBS. It was a good time.
AggieBarstool
I picked up a bottle of Promethean on a whim the other day (I have fam from Denison, TX, so it was more due to novelty). I wish I could say that it's anything other than.... bad.
trouble
AG
These are the only 2 I've had and I really enjoyed both.
EastTexAg14
AG
Yep. I am halfway through mine and on the fence about getting another one or two. Really wanting to try the 2020
Goodest Poster
AG
AggieBarstool said:

I picked up a bottle of Promethean on a whim the other day (I have fam from Denison, TX, so it was more due to novelty). I wish I could say that it's anything other than.... bad.

Then dont try Harbinger (won worlds best) or Harbinger XC. Promethean, despite being a 2 year, and far less technical, is a much better tasting bottle than the others. If you like heavy pepper, a la 4 roses, then Harbinger will be the better pour.
AgInSingapore
AG
Got two bottles of Booker's Boston Batch (2020-02) on Saturday, Spec's (I-10/Wirt location) had them on display in the lockup cabinet.

I told the guy who unlocked the cabinet that I was surprised to see them out and he said they had been in the back but nobody had come in asking if they had any in stock so they decided to put them on the shelf.
the dude10
AG
Wow I really haven't been going to stores any. Bookers is locked up or held back now? Is this normal? I know it got crazy for a little while when they were about to increase the price but I figured at the higher price it would still be sitting on shelves. Seems like I remember seeing it widely available in the past year
tlfw378
AG
Bookers being kept in back doesn't seem normal to me.
AgInSingapore
AG
From some of the conversations I've had with the Spec's employees at that specific location, they seem to get hit by some bourbon group that knows exactly when they get shipments of particular items so maybe they are trying to curb immediate sellout?

One of my co-workers went there yesterday and asked if they had any WSR and they did, but it was in the back. That being said, I see WSR on their shelf whenever I go in (including this past Saturday) so who knows what's going on. I had only gone to see if they had an Elysian Pumpkin Pack so maybe it was right time right place scenario for the Booker's.
Naveronski
AG
AgInSingapore said:

From some of the conversations I've had with the Spec's employees at that specific location, they seem to get hit by some bourbon group that knows exactly when they get shipments of particular items so maybe they are trying to curb immediate sellout?

If you give the bourbon guy a pack of smokes and a handy, he'll tell you when the truck comes in.
AgInSingapore
AG
So I've heard, thankfully I'm not on a quest for unicorns so I can keep the handy to myself.
07fta07
AG
RHF and Stagg Jr made an appearance at a couple TW today in Houston. Got a Stagg Jr that I found hidden in a display. Someone's friend isn't going to be very happy when they go looking for it.
Sazerac
AggBock
AG
They made appearance in Fort Worth too.
CharlieBrown17
AG
2 3 1
CactusThomas
AG
Do you like that rare breed rye significantly better than the 101 rye? And how does it compare with Cornerstone?
AggBock
AG
I have not had those but this is my favorite rye. Better than the Willet.
AggBock
AG
You rank the rare breed #1? Wow. This is my backup rare breed. Love it. First Rockhill farms I have ever even seen. I was buying the stagg and asked the guy if they got anything else. He pulls this out from behind the counter (Costco), we got something called Rock Hill... you want one? Lol. Best day so far since I started this rabbit hole.
Sazerac
AG
My Costco never puts **** out....Ever.

As for ryes, on my shelf Is rank them:
THH
KC cask Rye
EHT Rye
Rare Breed rye
KC rye
Bulleit rye
Sazerac rye
AggieBarstool
Right, because holding back inventory is exactly the way you curb supply & demand issues.

Ugh. So frustrating.

If I have to ask an associate if they "have any stuff in the back" I'm going to stop going to that store. I know that doesn't amount to a damned thing for their volume, but it makes me feel better.
SnyderAg02
Which Costco?
AggBock
AG
Fort Worth on CTP.
MW03
AG
Sazerac said:

My Costco never puts **** out....Ever.

As for ryes, on my shelf Is rank them:
THH
KC cask Rye
EHT Rye
Rare Breed rye
KC rye
Bulleit rye
Sazerac rye

I believe I would rank them exactly the same.
RenoAg
Just found a bottle of High West Bourye vacationing in the Smoky Mountains in TN. Haven't seen one of these in a while. Only grabbed one of the 2 bottles he had. Figured I'd leave the other for the next lucky drinker. He had a bottle of Weller Antique on his shelf. Only wanted $89 for it. I passed though.
CactusThomas
AG
Turkey train 2020
MJ20/20
AG
Spec's got a new Russell Reserve store pick in recently. If you see when you're out and about, it's damn good. Classic Turkey profile.
Johnsy3
AG
Was texting with my bourbon buddies today, complaining about how I can't get away from work to search around town for any of the allocated bottles that have been popping up this work. Turns out one buddy was in the area and swung by Total Wine to snag one of the last Midwinter Night Drams they had behind their counter. He then texted my wife to get our door and alarm codes and hid it in the kitchen. I just found it while wiping down the counters.

Is it too much if I cry? It's over the flavor of the whiskey, not anything gay...

MWND is incredible by the way. Tons of buttery rye flavor and spice, but it doesn't get back into your throat to burn. And then it has a nice port barrel finish. I've been trying to snag a bottle of this for a few years now and it definitely lived up to the hype.
CactusThomas
AG
I'll check it out
AggieMPH2005
I picked up a Little Book chapter 4 today. Will be opening sometime soon, I have high hopes as Bookers is my favorite bourbon, although I don't have as much experience as many of you on this thread.
Post removed:
by user
CactusThomas
AG
This is one I really like. I would have never bought one if not for Texags recommendations. Now I keep it around, even if only a 375.
SpiderDude
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

I picked up a Little Book chapter 4 today. Will be opening sometime soon, I have high hopes as Bookers is my favorite bourbon, although I don't have as much experience as many of you on this thread.

I haven't opened mine but I tried a friend's and loved it. You will too.
ClickClack
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Was texting with my bourbon buddies today, complaining about how I can't get away from work to search around town for any of the allocated bottles that have been popping up this work. Turns out one buddy was in the area and swung by Total Wine to snag one of the last Midwinter Night Drams they had behind their counter. He then texted my wife to get our door and alarm codes and hid it in the kitchen. I just found it while wiping down the counters.

Is it too much if I cry? It's over the flavor of the whiskey, not anything gay...

MWND is incredible by the way. Tons of buttery rye flavor and spice, but it doesn't get back into your throat to burn. And then it has a nice port barrel finish. I've been trying to snag a bottle of this for a few years now and it definitely lived up to the hype.

Not gay at all! You have good friends. Enjoy, my man.
First Page Last Page
Page 537 of 1099

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.