Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,869,749 Views | 38700 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by SLCag
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice!
I have been able to get my share the last couple days. Enjoy!
Sazerac
AG
Where did you find WFP?
austinag1997
AG
WFP? WTF? Why cant I figure that one out?
austinag1997
AG
Weller Full Proof?
AggBock
AG
Texas_Aggie91 said:

WFP store picks are about $300-350 shipped on secondary.
Thanks. I paid in the low end of that.
AggBock
AG
I don't think you can find them. I think they are gifted out or something. Never heard of one at a store.
AGdent07
AG
Yeah I have a bottle of WFP thats almost empty and the only place I can ever come across them is on the secondary market. Its an awesome bottle. Congrats and cant wait to hear what you think of it.
AggBock
AG
I take it back. I saw one at liquor depot in Arlington. They want $899 for it.
AGdent07
AG
Haha what a steal. I hope you didn't pass.

Ive come across CYPB twice and both times its been $600+

I can't imagine paying that kind of price without even knowing what it actually tastes like. So many of these limited release bottles are a novelty and the quality of bourbon is skeptical.
agcrock2005
AG
AGdent07 said:

Yeah I have a bottle of WFP thats almost empty and the only place I can ever come across them is on the secondary market. Its an awesome bottle. Congrats and cant wait to hear what you think of it.

I don't think he drinks his bourbon...
AGdent07
AG
I was hoping he would hate it and sell it. Trying to put myself at the first of the line.
AggBock
AG
I definitely drink it. Finished an ER Yesterday and a Blantons last week. I'm done with Blantons. That was a SP and really was not all that. I opened a 1779 full proof store pick tonight and enjoy it.
AggBock
AG
I definitely drink it. Finished an ER Yesterday and a Blantons last week. I'm done with Blantons. That was a SP and really was not all that. I opened a 1779 full proof store pick tonight and enjoy it.
Orozco05
I saw a couple bottles of Cream of Kentucky at the Specs in Spring off 45 and Rayford/Sawdust. Can anyone vouch for it?
Outdoorag011
I've completely stopped looking for allocated bottles. I buy what's on the shelf and call it a day. Collectors have pretty much ruined this market. If any of y'all have an Instagram, a lot of the whiskey/bourbon pages do a weekly thing where they post pictures of peoples man caves. In which you'll see MANY people who have all the allocated stuff with multiple back ups and none are open. I saw one yesterday with a guy who had 23 bottles of Weller 12...... Someone asked him in the comment section if that was his favorite drink and he replied that he hasn't tried it yet.... I'm not trying to tell people how to spend their money but good grief the collector market is getting out of hand.
Farmer1906
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

I've completely stopped looking for allocated bottles. I buy what's on the shelf and call it a day. Collectors have pretty much ruined this market. If any of y'all have an Instagram, a lot of the whiskey/bourbon pages do a weekly thing where they post pictures of peoples man caves. In which you'll see MANY people who have all the allocated stuff with multiple back ups and none are open. I saw one yesterday with a guy who had 23 bottles of Weller 12...... Someone asked him in the comment section if that was his favorite drink and he replied that he hasn't tried it yet.... I'm not trying to tell people how to spend their money but good grief the collector market is getting out of hand.
I am pretty much the same way. The problem is you start to find out what you like and then it becomes trendy and then you have to move on to something else (Eagle Rare for me).

Between 4RSB, 1792 (store picks are fairly common I've noticed), Elijah Craig, Russel, I can get by just fine.
Sazerac
AG
I'm with y'all. I'll still ask the front if they have allocated bottles but there is plenty of good stuff on the shelves for a drink. And I buy to drink, not to collect.
Sazerac
AG
I see it all over behind glass at $140ish. I won't pay that much for a bottle of bourbon so can't tell you if I like it....
Ducks4brkfast
AG
the most cringe worthy thing i encounter in the bourbon world today is people referring to going to the liquor store as hunting.
John Francis Donaghy
Ducks4brkfast said:

the most cringe worthy thing i encounter in the bourbon world today is people referring to going to the liquor store as hunting.

I regret that I have but one blue star to give this post.
SpiderDude
AG
Orozco05 said:

I saw a couple bottles of Cream of Kentucky at the Specs in Spring off 45 and Rayford/Sawdust. Can anyone vouch for it?

I've stayed away due to the MSRP. I'm sure it's good but at that price range you could grab a Master's Keep, etc. Anything over $100 and I really need convincing it's worth spending 2X over a good store pick, etc.
MW03
AG
Those are drinks to seek out at bars (RIP) to me. I'll pay $20 to taste a glass far sooner than I'll spend $150 on a bottle.
AGdent07
AG
Had drinks this last weekend at a place in Dallas called Bottled in Bond. Pretty good bourbon list. Most of the prices were ridiculous for a pour though. Couple things were reasonably priced like Elmer and Rock Hill Farms but of course they were out. Ended up with Stagg Jr. I'm convinced the secondary market values are being used to determine the price of a pour. Paying $50 for a 1oz pour of a $100 MSRP bottle is a hard pill to swallow.
Farmer1906
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

The encounter with the guy at the liquor store when I try to ask about things not readily available on the shelf can get pretty cringe-worthy.
mazag08
AG
Let's help each other out. Somebody post a run down of the most common unicorns and then post what is most similar to them that can be found on most shelves.
austinag1997
AG
I quit looking also. Stick with the 1 or 2 I usually get, then get the stuff I like off the shelf.
MW03
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

I'd also like to add the word "juice".
Sazerac
AG
I'm not going to try to make comparisons, but here is off the shelf stuff I like/buy at different price points

Daily / Volume

Evan Williams / Four Roses / Buffalo Trace in that order 1.75 $2x -$3x (Weller used to be here when you could find)

WT101 1.75 $4x - as a step up
EC SB 1.75 $5x - As a further step up
Eagle Rare 1.75 $5x / 750 $30 - hard to find in Houston

For specialty bottles usually available:
Four Roses single barrel <$40
Knob Creek and WT/RR specialty bottles >$40

mazag08
AG
Blade and Bow is a great option for a lower proof smooth sipper. Really good flavor. $40 or so price tag.
mazag08
AG
Im convinced that people who continue to chase Eagle Rare, EC, Weller, etc care about more about the image of their collection than the enjoyment of the whiskey. Not saying that's all of you, but there are SO many great bourbons out there without having to turn over every rock.
Cyprian
AG
cclearman said:

I see it all over behind glass at $140ish. I won't pay that much for a bottle of bourbon so can't tell you if I like it....

I picked up one last week, but I have a tradition with my dad - it usually Involves a nice 16-18 yr old scotch, but I'm mixing things up this year. I'll be saving it for when we meet, which is (hopefully) thanksgiving.

I've read by most it is really good, but so are others that don't cost as much. So, more of a celebration drink, not a good value buy as a regular drink. That's probably a fair summation, good and bad.
CactusThomas
AG
mazag08 said:

Im convinced that people who continue to chase Eagle Rare, EC, Weller, etc care about more about the image of their collection than the enjoyment of the whiskey. Not saying that's all of you, but there are SO many great bourbons out there without having to turn over every rock.

That's foolishness. Eagle Rare is 10 year old bourbon for under $30. It is easily found on shelves in many areas. Yes, its low proof, yes it's not overly complex but it's a good deal. Has nothing to do with image.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Not every market is the same. If I lived in Houston or Texas I'd be proud to have some ER on hand. The other places I've lived recently I can just go to the store and get some pretty much any time.
mazag08
AG
CactusThomas said:

mazag08 said:

That's foolishness. Eagle Rare is 10 year old bourbon for under $30. It is easily found on shelves in many areas. Yes, its low proof, yes it's not overly complex but it's a good deal. Has nothing to do with image.
Perhaps ER was a bad example. You're right that its usually not in the same category as the allocated ones. I personally don't see the craze about it though. It's definitely good, and was even my favorite 5 years ago when I was much less experienced and hadn't tried the variety I have at this point in my life.
drred4
How is the WT Masterkeep Rye if anyone has had a pour. I have some ER and I do not care for it as much as some other readily available on shelf as others has posted. Have others that for me have a better flavor profile.
First Page Last Page
Page 471 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.