Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,867,386 Views | 38677 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by Science Denier
TamuKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a sucker for EHT Small Batch and ER. I think they're fantastic bourbons at their price point. If they weren't popular, I'd probably drink them more, not less. I will admit Blanton's, I buy when I see it mainly because of the novelty. It's good bourbon, but if it was all over the shelves, I probably wouldn't be consistently buying it.
Sazerac
AG
I'd keep blantons Stocked on my bar at $60-$70, it's absolutely fantastic for me.

EHT is also great, think it's value should be $40-50

ER is still the best bang for the buck IMO, though a $55 1.75 of EC small batch (which is always available) Is a great fallback.

I just tasted that Pinhook 114.5 barrel proof I picked up. It looks like a Rose', pretty strange for Bourbon. Tastes very young and just a little nutty. Won't buy any Pinhook again.
D-Dubya-09
AG
Which color label of the pinhook is the one your tried? I tried the pink label, albeit after many prior samples of other bourbons and thought it was pretty darn good for a $45 bottle. My taste buds could have been shot though....
SpiderDude
AG
drred4 said:

How is the WT Masterkeep Rye if anyone has had a pour. I have some ER and I do not care for it as much as some other readily available on shelf as others has posted. Have others that for me have a better flavor profile.

I have the Cornerstone. It's good but buying it reinforced the fact that paying more doesn't necessarily get you more (quality). The Knob Creek Cask Strength rye is just as good for half the price...almost a third of the price really.

Speaking of the KC CS Rye...a bottle of Booker's Rye sells into the $1000's on secondary. I guarantee you the mash bill is the same or very close. Yet the KC sits on shelves at MSRP in some places. I bought 2 recently with dust literally on the bottle. The 2018 release was named World Rye of the Year. You do the math on that...
SpiderDude
AG
dmwilson2009 said:

Which color label of the pinhook is the one your tried? I tried the pink label, albeit after many prior samples of other bourbons and thought it was pretty darn good for a $45 bottle. My taste buds could have been shot though....

I love my Single Barrel yellow label OLC pick. Just killed a bottle of it and opened another. It's MGP juice.
drred4
Thanks for that info
Sazerac
AG
Hot pink wax on top. Will take a pic later if you want.
Sazerac
AG
Costco bunker hill has 1.75 Weller Green / SR for $36 if any of y'all are looking.
Naveronski
AG
Total Wine off Hulen in Fort Worth had Weller SR also.
AGdent07
AG
Opened up a few bottles with some friends last night. Really enjoyed the Bourye last night. Definitely worth picking up and good value for the price
agcrock2005
AG
How's the single oak project?
Daytona22
AG
TW off i10 had a eht single barrel this afternoon. Wife was with me and told me I didn't need any more bourbon
Sazerac
AG
I10 and what for TW?
Daytona22
AG
Studewood
Sazerac
AG
Should have bought it for your onlinefriends!
07fta07
AG
Incorrect. You can always use more EHT.
SpiderDude
AG
Daytona22 said:

TW off i10 had a eht single barrel this afternoon. Wife was with me and told me I didn't need any more bourbon

That's pretty much on my auto buy list. You should have told her "deal with it".
RenoAg
SpiderDude said:

drred4 said:

How is the WT Masterkeep Rye if anyone has had a pour. I have some ER and I do not care for it as much as some other readily available on shelf as others has posted. Have others that for me have a better flavor profile.

I have the Cornerstone. It's good but buying it reinforced the fact that paying more doesn't necessarily get you more (quality). The Knob Creek Cask Strength rye is just as good for half the price...almost a third of the price really.

Speaking of the KC CS Rye...a bottle of Booker's Rye sells into the $1000's on secondary. I guarantee you the mash bill is the same or very close. Yet the KC sits on shelves at MSRP in some places. I bought 2 recently with dust literally on the bottle. The 2018 release was named World Rye of the Year. You do the math on that...

Bookers Rye is seriously good. Like maybe my favorite bottle ever kind of good. I'd never pay that kind of money for a bottle of it now. Got all mine at msrp. Still have one left unopened. Can't bring myself to crack it open.
austinag1997
AG
Need some help boys... always been a Willett fan. Mostly WFE bourbon. I have a bottle of WFE Rye. 6 yr with a tag on the back. "Walkin the floor." History tells me that when Willett tags their bottles with a name (fairly uncommon) that it is likely pretty good. Anybody know about this one?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Don't know anything about that particular bottle but pretty much every WFE single barrel has some random name on it now, wouldn't necessarily take that as an indication of quality
austinag1997
AG
I have a number of bottles from the gift shop... none have naming labels. This is the first one I have procured that does.
AggBock
AG
I found another Weller 12 yesterday. I am thinking about trying the PMP. Anyone here enjoy it? I got some samples from a friend today and I am not sure I like it. The flavor is muted and numbs the tongue. Thoughts?
CharlieBrown17
AG
austinag1997 said:

I have a number of bottles from the gift shop... none have naming labels. This is the first one I have procured that does.

Pretty much WFE every store pick in the last two years is named.

Unless you specifically bought it from the gift shop, a 6 yr rye from them is most likely a store pick that was given some random name.
austinag1997
AG
Huh. This wasn't a store pick from the locale I procured it from. But some restaurants/bars may be liquidating some bar stock.
Daytona22
AG
I'm the same way. I have half a bottle of BR left that's open but don't think I can bring myself to open the other one. Anyone have recommendations in Memphis for shops to stop by? Heading through next week.
Bunk Moreland
Enjoying a pour of Blantons with an Oliva Serie G on the porch listening to The Band.

The right kind of night.
the dude10
AG
AggBock said:

I found another Weller 12 yesterday. I am thinking about trying the PMP. Anyone here enjoy it? I got some samples from a friend today and I am not sure I like it. The flavor is muted and numbs the tongue. Thoughts?

When I did it a few years back I enjoyed it. I found it to be a solid improvement on weller 12 and overall pretty comparable to 107 although a slightly different experience. Not sure on your comments about muted flavor, compared to what? Maybe a bit compared to 107 but more than w12. Admittedly I prefer higher proof bourbons so if that's not your preference I could see it overwhelming the palate a bit
Wheatables02
AG
the dude10 said:

AggBock said:

When I did it a few years back I enjoyed it. I found it to be a solid improvement on weller 12 and overall pretty comparable to 107 although a slightly different experience. Not sure on your comments about muted flavor, compared to what? Maybe a bit compared to 107 but more than w12. Admittedly I prefer higher proof bourbons so if that's not your preference I could see it overwhelming the palate a bit
Sell it, trade it, whatever then buy 3 OWA's. The taste variation isn't that much. You could also buy two OWA's and use the extra money just to try PVW in a bar. I normally don't condone flipping, but since I care so little about Buffalo Trace products these days, go ahead. It's absolutely out of control now...
Chipotlemonger
AG
What's everyone's favorite "off the beaten path" bourbon? Doesn't have to be for pure enjoyment or taste, maybe for the novelty of it to you or significance. This thread is so much about all of the more obvious good and great stuff.

Anyways, I love Belle Meade offerings and their base bourbon is tasty. (And as I think others have mentioned, the single barrel cask strength stuff of theirs is damn good.) I really enjoyed the tour at their distillery, and since I lived in Nashville a bit, it's a little more meaningful to me.
mazag08
AG
I quite like Yellow Rose Rye from Houston.
SweaterVest
AG
I don't know if it's off the beaten path, but OGD 114 is a solid pour, easily found (on the bottoms shelf), and $20. Hard to beat that!
WreckitRalph90
AG
It's the little things like walking into your favorite store for a mixer. And they Come our with weller full proof and ask if you want it without saying a word haha. Good start to my weekend! Anyone had the weller 12?
07fta07
AG
The 12 is very good, but damn near impossible to find. The Antique 107 is my favorite Weller that I've had, and while not easy to find I see it lot more than 12.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Anyone had the weller 12?
WreckitRalph90
AG
Went back home to Conroe area last week and the specs off ray ford was possibly getting in a few. Well that was the rumor their whiskey guy told me. Too bad I had to leave and couldn't check back.
First Page Last Page
Page 472 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.