Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,863,896 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by trouble
Superdave1993
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have had decent luck at. Buster's. 191 S Highland drive.

They have had some store picks, and have a bigger selection than most anywhere in Arkansas. May not be wonderful compared to a TW, but I have always found something on the shelf that I cannot get at home.
AggBock
AG
What is retail on the WFP if you don't mind me asking? I got one for 325 the other day.
Farmer1906
AG
$49
WreckitRalph90
AG
Paid $55
AggBock
AG
Wow. I didn't know they sold in store. Are you on a list?
Daytona22
AG
Thanks! Will have to stop by and see. Will only be there one night but figured I'd look.
WreckitRalph90
AG
Lol no. I've just been very talkative and friendly with my store and it's payed off with several good picks. ECBP. Hancock and blood oath
AggBock
AG
I will try that. A twins just opened by my house. I will get on good terms there.
agcrock2005
AG
AggBock said:

What is retail on the WFP if you don't mind me asking? I got one for 325 the other day.

Wow. I know where a W12 is for sale in FW for $299 if you want it. It's a store, not me.
dmart90
AG
Just finished aging some Ancient Age in 1L barrels for a couple of weeks. Definite change in nose and taste. Ancient Age has a pretty buttery nose, but the taste is flat. Aged for two weeks and the butter is still there, but now there is oak. And the flavor is now oak and leather forward.

Just poured some silver tequila in the same barrels. I've done this before and the tequila is quite tasty. Hopefully it works out well this time.
AggBock
AG
I have seen one for sale at majestic for 200. I can buy them for 140 any day of the week. I have found them in store for 45 and have not paid more, I don't like it. WFP is a different story. I tried it Friday and it is the best whisky I have tasted so far.
LPHA
AG
I'd love to find one for a reasonable price. I finally opened my Stagg Jr. batch 12 and 13, and finally found an ECBP, all within the last 3 days. The Stagg Jrs are easily 1a and 1b with the ECBP a close 2. What are some other high proof bottles I need to try? 1792 and Larceny are both good, but I wouldn't put them in the same ballpark.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Bookers. It's the classic BP bourbon.
LPHA
AG
Yep, didn't think about those. I have 3 or 4 of them and they're also very good
MW03
AG
LPHA said:

I'd love to find one for a reasonable price. I finally opened my Stagg Jr. batch 12 and 13, and finally found an ECBP, all within the last 3 days. The Stagg Jrs are easily 1a and 1b with the ECBP a close 2. What are some other high proof bottles I need to try? 1792 and Larceny are both good, but I wouldn't put them in the same ballpark.

Are you talking 110+? Belle Meade Cask is excellent. WT Rare Breed is another. I also love anything Booker's.
MW03
AG
I don't know about you guys, but I have a hard time drinking the last of a bottle. Has anyone ever thought about getting a rack of test tubes for keeping the end of bottles for trying later? Mainly a space saving means of keeping and ounce or two around.
AggBock
AG
They sell sample bottles. Good idea. I have been trading samples in Dfw. That's how i tried the pmp and Weller FP. PMP was not good. FP is worth 300.
CactusThomas
AG
I keep an infinity bottle where all my favorite bourbons live on
07fta07
AG
Found a Knob Creek 14 year SiB pick that will probably get opened for the 4th. Also saw a EHT small batch but they wanted $90 so it's still sitting where I saw it.
SpiderDude
AG
dmart90 said:

Just finished aging some Ancient Age in 1L barrels for a couple of weeks. Definite change in nose and taste. Ancient Age has a pretty buttery nose, but the taste is flat. Aged for two weeks and the butter is still there, but now there is oak. And the flavor is now oak and leather forward.

Just poured some silver tequila in the same barrels. I've done this before and the tequila is quite tasty. Hopefully it works out well this time.

Poor Man's Blanton's...
MJ20/20
AG
How many times can you reuse those little barrels?
D-Dubya-09
AG
MJ20/20 said:

I've read and/or seen that they can be re-used 3-5 times. After that, you get a diminishing impact or ability for the barrel to add the Oak and barrel flavors and darken the color of the liquor given the wood has been depleted.
John Francis Donaghy
MJ20/20 said:

I've used mine about 6 times now. About to barrel up batch #7 tonight.

My last batch (#6) was my best, by far. Essentially turned WSR into WLW, and yes, I nailed it.

Downside is a 1.75 of WSR went in, and only about 8 oz. of the good stuff came out at the end. Angel's share and Devils Cut losses are real.

If you want to barrel something for 3 weeks and get a LOT of oak in that time frame, it will only work the first few times. But once it's broken in, you can age whiskey REALLY well over longer periods without overoaking.

You can also re-char the inside with a flex-lighter, to get it back like new if you want. But I much prefer fhe taste I get now from my broken-in barrel to the taste I got back when it was new, so I haven't re-charred.
07fta07
AG
Saw 2 Knob Creek 25th anniversary this afternoon in NW Houston for $125, which appears to be at or under retail. If anyone is looking let me know and I'll pass along info. First I've seen it. I didn't buy any because I picked up a store pick SiB earlier today, so there are still 2 left.
MW03
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Downside is a 1.75 of WSR went in, and only about 8 oz. of the good stuff came out at the end. Angel's share and Devils Cut losses are real.

Holy smokes. You put 60 ounces in and only pulled out 8 good ounces?
Post removed:
by user
PearlandAg09
AG

MJ20/20 said:

I've used mine about 6 times now. About to barrel up batch #7 tonight.

My last batch (#6) was my best, by far. Essentially turned WSR into WLW, and yes, I nailed it.

If you want to barrel something for 3 weeks and get a LOT of oak in that time frame, it will only work the first few times. But once it's broken in, you can age whiskey REALLY well over longer periods without overoaking.

You can also re-char the inside with a flex-lighter, to get it back like new if you want. But I much prefer fhe taste I get now from my broken-in barrel to the taste I got back when it was new, so I haven't re-charred.

....sounds like the wifes share got you too
SpiderDude
Wheatables02
AG
MW03 said:

This is PhD level...teach me please!

I tried a barrel once and over-oaked it so bad I threw it all out...
HouseDivided06
AG
So I have done the barrel thing before, but then it dried out when it stayed at the ex wife's before I had moved everything out and I didn't have anything in it. From my experience. the first 2-3 times you use it, it is SUPER oaky. As in the first time I left it in for only 2 weeks and it was still barely drinkable. I was recommended on the first go round to use clear moonshine because it is kind of fun to see it go in clear and come out brown with a different flavor profile. But yes, the first few times you use it, only store it in there for 2-3 weeks TOPS. It will help mellow out the oak.

Devils cut and angels share are legit, especially in the smaller barrels. The wood is thinner than the big barrels, and more exposure to wood which is why the aging process is faster. If I remember right, 58 days in a 1L barrel is equivalent to 1 year in the big barrels. One thing I would sometimes to do combat that is get a 1.75 of something (Old Grandad, Bulleit, WSR, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses) and fill the barrel, and then continue to add the remaining .75 to it throughout the process. I think the longest I did was 6-7 months, and it basically ended up being 375 ml. Damn, I need to get another barrel soon. It's a fun way to enjoy and experiment with stuff.
John Francis Donaghy
MW03 said:

Yep. 11 months in a 2L barrel. If I'd known it was going to be that little by the end, I'd have bought a second bottle to top off that last .25L of space in the barrel.

I wish I could say I got my enjoyment sampling over the months, but I never sampled more than a couple drops every couple of months, and that just to make sure nothing had gone horribly wrong. I did accomplish my goal, which was to recreate WLW using WSR, the proof even got into the 130 range from what my tongue could tell. So overall a success, but I'm gonna need a bigger barrel if I'm going to try that again, otherwise it's just not worth it.
PearlandAg09
AG
she'd love it. what else is there to do while you're at work, after all?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Anyone with an empty Bookers box on the west side?
Just want the box for holding cocktail ingredients (bitters) other items. I could use 2.
aTm '99
FriedTex
AG
I use to do it a bunch with Evan Williams BIB.

Never go over 3 months and I could only get the flavor from the barrel no more than 3X. So the law of diminishing returns sets in pretty quick since the barrels cost around 50 and you lose the angel share
Sazerac
AG
Sonnys on Mason In Katy

Markups even in BT and ER were insane! Saw my first ER 1.75 in person in the last 5 years!

First Page Last Page
Page 473 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.