Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,873,009 Views | 38758 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by Aggie Therapist
austinag1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry. Every bottle from Hye has turned into expensive lighter fluid. I really wanted Dan to be successful. Almost invested $1,000 when they were starting up. It just doesn't live up to good bourbons... and it ain't cheap.
austinag1997
AG
And if you want tasting notes. Oak and corn.
SpiderDude
AG
austinag1997 said:

Sorry. Every bottle from Hye has turned into expensive lighter fluid. I really wanted Dan to be successful. Almost invested $1,000 when they were starting up. It just doesn't live up to good bourbons... and it ain't cheap.

It's not terrible. The main problem is the super premium price point. Literally almost every other high proof bourbon on the market comes in at a much lower MSRP. But hey, they can price it however they want and some people obviously pay it or they wouldn't do it that way. It's actually a smart business model if you can pull it off which so far they have... so I admire their effort to maintain their strong marketing brand to support their pricing. I just don't personally buy their product...
austinag1997
AG
Well. I do think he is successful in that somebody is buying his products. I personnaly think the product is bad regardless of cost.
FriedTex
AG
austinag1997 said:

And 30% of this thread is ****ting on their offerings too
austinag1997
AG
I probably mispoke to a certain degree. I think he has been very successful. I spent $100+ on one of the Balmorhea bottles a couple of months ago. It was an improvement. It tasted like bubble gum instead of an oak tree and pure corn. So there is that.

I just think Texas doesnt quite have the climate shifts that KY has.
John Francis Donaghy
Aging in Texas definitely gives a lot more oak than aging in a more temperate climate. Not great for sipping for my taste, but they make a dandy Old Fashioned with all that oak.

I bought a couple bottles from Garrison when they were just starting up to help them out, but they were much cheaper back then. As the price has gone up, I just can't justify spending that amount on what I use as a mixing borubon.
Naveronski
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

I bought a couple bottles from Garrison when they were just starting up to help them out, but they were much cheaper back then. As the price has gone up, I just can't justify spending that amount on what I use as a mixing borubon.

They do have a neat setup though, if you're in the area.
lazuras_dc
AG
Their distillery was one of my favorite stops in Fredericksburg ! With that being said , I wouldn't pay $110 for their single barrel.
austinag1997
AG
Enough of Garrison stuff. A coulple of Austin joints have permanently closed. One is Peche downtown. Unfortunate, as they had a heckuva bar. They have liquidated their bottles. I was lucky emough to procure a bottle of their selected barrel of Weller Antique 107.
SpiderDude
AG
As was I.
TamuKid
AG
Y'all just calling bars? Or have a relationship?
austinag1997
AG
I received it through an intermediary that asked not to be named.
trouble
AG
Oh man, I loved Peche
austinag1997
AG
I did also. Met some interesting folks there. Wes Henderson of Angels Envy and a Twin Liquors buyer that told me she would help me find alotted bottles. Never took her up on that though.
CactusThomas
AG
SpiderDude said:

Can you give me a Handy?!

I can give you a ***** slap.

But seriously the THH is tucked in the back, I'm not likely to drink it and will probably sell or trade it if I find a good offer.

How do you like the Peerless small batch bourbon? I don't see it around locally so I had a friend in Austin get me some. I haven't opened mine yet.
SpiderDude
AG
austinag1997 said:

I received it through an intermediary that asked not to be named.

I think we have the same intermediary!
austinag1997
AG
Quite possibly. I heeded his warning.
SpiderDude
AG
CactusThomas said:

SpiderDude said:

But seriously the THH is tucked in the back, I'm not likely to drink it and will probably sell or trade it if I find a good offer.

How do you like the Peerless small batch bourbon? I don't see it around locally so I had a friend in Austin get me some. I haven't opened mine yet.

Lol. The Peerless ain't bad. Sweet mash process if you've studied their production. I need to break it out and try it again and update with tasting notes.
SpiderDude
AG
austinag1997 said:

Quite possibly. I heeded his warning.

Likewise.
Outdoorag011
Holy crap is EHT Straight Rye delicious. Not a huge rye fan but it is very good. EHT line is now my favorite offering... even though I've only tried the rye and the small batch. I've been looking for a single barrel for almost 8 months with no luck. I've heard good things.
rack04
Outdoorag011 said:

Holy crap is EHT Straight Rye delicious. Not a huge rye fan but it is very good. EHT line is now my favorite offering... even though I've only tried the rye and the small batch. I've been looking for a single barrel for almost 8 months with no luck. I've heard good things.
Good to hear. I just picked up my first bottle. EHT Small Batch.
SpiderDude
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

I have 2 single barrels. I'd be willing to trade 1 or even both for the right bottle(s).
AggBock
AG
What is the right one? I am interested in one and have ECBP (2 batches), Blanton or eagle rare.
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

CactusThomas said:

SpiderDude said:

Lol. The Peerless ain't bad. Sweet mash process if you've studied their production. I need to break it out and try it again and update with tasting notes.

Nose: brown sugar, barrel spice, light cinnamon
Palate: leather, building heat as it heads across the tongue, sweet corn, more brown sugar, pepper spice
Finish: lingering heat on the tongue and back of throat... the pepper spice hangs around well after you've swallowed.
SpiderDude
AG
Which ECBP batches?
WreckingCrew12
AG
ClickClack
AG
I have ECBP A120. Would be interested in EHT single barrel
CrottyKid
AG
Random question here. My neighbor gave me an Elijah Craig 12 year with the 12 on the label. She said it was from before she had kids. Her oldest is a teenager. Is there a way to decipher the numbers on the bottom of the bottle to determine when this bourbon was bottled? It has been opened, so I plan to proceed with caution on consuming it, but I just wondered about the date.
austinag1997
AG
You can probaly tell by the inscribed numbers. I can only tell you they no longer privde an age statement on those bottles. That happened only a couple years ago though.
CrottyKid
AG
There are no inscribed numbers on the bottle, but the bottom of the bottle has several raised numbers in the glass in an arrangement that doesn't make it easy to decipher.
RustyBoltz
AG
CrottyKid said:

Random question here. My neighbor gave me an Elijah Craig 12 year with the 12 on the label. She said it was from before she had kids. Her oldest is a teenager. Is there a way to decipher the numbers on the bottom of the bottle to determine when this bourbon was bottled? It has been opened, so I plan to proceed with caution on consuming it, but I just wondered about the date.
So about this neighbor trying to seduce you with bourbon...
RenoAg
RustyBoltz said:

CrottyKid said:

So about this neighbor trying to seduce you with bourbon...

Moms got needs too.

To keep it bourbon related... I polished off a Blantons SFTB this weekend. And my last MWND. Both were down to their last pour. I'm not a total degenerate. And discovered I had an unopened RHF from 2016 bunkered away that I had forgotten about. Trying to decide which bottles I want to open up. I don't like to have more than 5 or 6 open at any given time. I'm leaning towards a bottle of an Old Scout single barrel. I think it was 110 proof or so. Never tried much out of that line. Then another 4R store pick of some sort. Maybe circle back to an OESK I got at that store on Bissonnett. Tony K's I think it is. Haven't been there in a few years. I assume it's still there.
AggBock
AG
A120 and c518
Furlock Bones
AG
having tried most of their selections. i find all of this very hard to believe. as others have said, it's all be very hot with a lack of flavor.
First Page Last Page
Page 454 of 1108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.