Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,092 Views | 37590 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by betadawg1
StEdsCOOG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggBock said:

I wonder just how different a bottle can be? I have never set up a tasting with say, 3 bottles of Weller frim three different stores and times. I'm not sure I could get value from a store pick.
I participated in a barrel selection trip last year where we tasted from 18 Blanton's barrels and 6 Weller Full Proof and I was shocked at the difference in flavor profile from one barrel to the next. The 6 Blanton's barrels that were selected for purchase were noticeably better than the rest.
lazuras_dc
AG
StEdsCOOG said:

AggBock said:

I wonder just how different a bottle can be? I have never set up a tasting with say, 3 bottles of Weller frim three different stores and times. I'm not sure I could get value from a store pick.
I participated in a barrel selection trip last year where we tasted from 18 Blanton's barrels and 6 Weller Full Proof and I was shocked at the difference in flavor profile from one barrel to the next. The 6 Blanton's barrels that were selected for purchase were noticeably better than the rest.

How do you do this, and where do I send my money???
AggBock
AG
Was the WLW trip next or what. Maybe a PAppy trip too? Man that sounds awesome!
Baby Billy
AG
Debs Liquor by lakeline in Austin had Buffalo Trace and Weller SR if anyone is looking
MJ20/20
AG
Is that T supposed to be a B? They have Weller Single Barrel?
LawHall88
AG
ehrmantraut said:

Debs Liquor by lakeline in Austin had Buffalo Trace and Weller SR if anyone is looking
Same with Alamo City Liquor on 1604 and Bitters in San Antonio.
Brad_97
AG
Yeah was this truly old stock age stated Hibiki 12 or the Harmony?...

Ducks4brkfast said:

AggBock said:

I ain't going back to total wine. Went by another on Saturday. Looked at counter, empty. Walk around a bit, some manager set out a bottle of Hidiki 12 for $125 and was watching to see how long it would sit there. Rediculous. I didn't buy it because the price was high and its not something I am looking for . They are guarding the allocated heavily. I think if I go back I am going to go digging around on the back room of the store and see what I find

Holy crap how high were you
Outdoorag011
Anyone know where I can get some EHT around the Austin area? Passing through Austin tomorrow and would love to pick up some.
AggBock
AG
It was the 12. It was 125 and I checked on secondary market and found it for 130 or so. I didn't get it. That is too expensive for me to drink.
TamuKid
AG
Oak Liquor Cabinet is always a good try. Just be nice and chat with the owner Raju. Tell me you're passing through and got a recommendation to swing by.

He has a good bourbon selection, with a ton of good store picks, whether he has the EHT or not, it won't be a waste.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Second this, it's a nice small business
SpiderDude
AG
TamuKid said:

Oak Liquor Cabinet is always a good try. Just be nice and chat with the owner Raju. Tell me you're passing through and got a recommendation to swing by.

He has a good bourbon selection, with a ton of good store picks, whether he has the EHT or not, it won't be a waste.

His most recent 1792 Full Proof pick is in. He's had several recent Old Scout picks that were da bomb (they gone). What I wouldn't give to see what he has "in the back". I love Raj... he's a helluva guy trying to make the American dream a reality.

Pro Tip: Possibly the best bottle I've ever had (that I own) is his Pinhook Single Barrel pick (yellow wax). There's still several cases left. Best $65 you'll ever spend.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Was talking to Raj the first or second I was in there and mentioned how awesome it was that he had 5 or 6 store picks and his answer was "I like to drink and if I'm going to drink it's not going to be **** it's going to things that are perfect for me". Good dude and honestly one of the only Indian store owners I know that drinks
Sazerac
AG
Is a "store pick" just something the store is recommending? It's not some special release for that store / chain, right?
Farmer1906
AG
cclearman said:

Is a "store pick" just something the store is recommending? It's not some special release for that store / chain, right?

Quote:

A store pick is a private barrel whiskey selection made by the store owner, staff, or outside group (think bourbon club or Facebook group) of a single barrel of whiskey. Offerings that normally are blends of different barrels (1792 Full Proof, Old Forester 100 Proof) then become single barrel offerings.
https://www.abvnetwork.com/whiskey-corner/2018/6/19/store-picks-all-you-need-to-know-about-store-picks
agcrock2005
AG
cclearman said:

I believe it's actually a private barrel selection made by that store. Unique only to that one specific store (or I guess chain of stores possibly).

EDIT: Farmer beat me to it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
cclearman said:

Lots of chain stores will have like "Twins pick" or "specs pick" on the shelf by something they're just recommending which can be confusing at times
TamuKid
AG
cclearman said:

There's really two types of "picks" in my head; both of which are probably more accurately called barrel picks.

You have "Store Picks", which I'd use for mom & pop's like Oak Liquor Cabinet.
The store gets samples of several barrels, the store owner and some of the store's most frequent customers (big bourbon enthusiasts) try each of the samples and pick one.
Ultimately, their selected barrel gets bottled and sent to the store to sell their "store pick"; which is exclusive to that store, and picked by that store.

There's also what I'd call "Single Barrel Selections", which typically aren't really picked by anyone at the store. But more than likely the master distiller picks a single barrel on behalf of a store or a chain of stores that wants a "store pick". This would be what the big chains like Twin Liquors, Total Wine, Specs, Goody Goody, etc. picks usually are. Sometimes I think these stores send representatives; but many times it's just done on their behalf.

I put more weight into actual Store Picks like OLC's, Austin Shaker, etc... because I know the selection was made by a group of bourbon enthusiasts who really wanted to organize a barrel selection.

The other interesting thing for barrel picks is when a store or chain gets a barrel pick of an already single barrel expression. I don't necessarily think getting a Store Pick Blanton's is all that interesting... as all Blanton's are already single barrel. I'm more interested in batched bourbons that then get a single barrel pick... and then comparing it to the batched version. But that's just me.
AggBock
AG
Had a few wins in an online pool recently. 1.75 of ER and a run of samples of all Weller from SVR to WLW. Can't wait to try those.
dmart90
AG
AGdent07 said:

Elijah Craig recently released a rye but I haven't seen/heard about it being in Texas.

Any of you have any luck with finding Elijah Craig BP? I found batch C919 but I would like to find another. If anybody has one they would like to trade/sell let me know.

Saw it on the shelf today in the new Specs in Cedar Park...
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
Outdoorag011
Thank you! I went by there and picked up two 1792 full proof store pick and he had a EHT straight rye

Thanks!
Outdoorag011
Just picked up the full proof. Looking forward to trying it!
MW03
AG
1792 Full Proof is very solid.
TamuKid
AG
Good deal! Always happy to recommend OLC. Raj runs that thing the right way. Enjoy!
SpiderDude
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

Just picked up the full proof. Looking forward to trying it!

Let me know what you think. I haven't opened mine yet (still working on his previous one). Not sure if you saw it but his Herman Marshall BP pick is also good...especially for $39.
Outdoorag011
He was a cool guy. We talked for a little bit and he seemed like a great guy. Prices were great as well. Wish we had more owners like that.
austinag1997
AG
Known Raj for a number of years. Great store owner. I pass Austin Shaker often... never have stoped in. Looks like an interesting place.
dmart90
AG
Just got a bottle of 1835 Single Barrel. Not bad. Decent heat.
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
SpiderDude
AG
Did y'all know we can post pics directly now?!
CactusThomas
AG

SpiderDude
AG
Can you give me a Handy?!
AggBock
AG
I like the image feature. I tried the Weller 12 and OWA tonight. The OWA hands down.
AGdent07
AG
Went with a few guys over to Hye and grabbed a couple bottles. This stuff isn't cheap but actually really tasty. It's hot like Stagg Jr but lots of flavor.
Outdoorag011
It is delicious! I tried it against the standard version and way more flavor in my opinion. Very smooth for a higher proof. It's like a flavor bomb of caramel and vanilla.
Wheatables02
First Page Last Page
Page 453 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.