Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,838,859 Views | 38430 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by AgCzar
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Peerless is a great place to hit up when you first get to Louisville.
SpiderDude
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Peerless is a great place to hit up when you first get to Louisville.

I need to make a trip. It's on my bucket list for sure.
Bunk Moreland
Was scheduled for Louisville and bourbon trail trip for March 19th - 22nd.

Can't wait to reschedule that trip.
SpiderDude
AG
I'll let you know. I might score another ECBP this week so hold tight.
AggBock
AG
Ok. I'm interested. Where are you located?
agcrock2005
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Did it a few years ago. Obviously go to Buffalo Trace. Also, they don't make the greatest bourbon but the Maker's Mark tour was really cool. It has the feel of being on a civil war battlefield. It's incredibly old and in the middle of nowhere. They also make their bourbon different from most as well. They don't go by age. They say that the bourbon depends more on the fluctuation of temperature over time rather than the amount of years. Some years it will fluctuate a lot and the bourbon will go in and out of the wood in the barrel more times than in more moderate years. Pretty cool thought process although I don't know much about it. You can also buy a bottle at the end of your tour and dip it in the wax yourself if you're into that.
austinag1997
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Did it a few years ago. Obviously go to Buffalo Trace. Also, they don't make the greatest bourbon but the Maker's Mark tour was really cool. It has the feel of being on a civil war battlefield. It's incredibly old and in the middle of nowhere. They also make their bourbon different from most as well. They don't go by age. They say that the bourbon depends more on the fluctuation of temperature over time rather than the amount of years. Some years it will fluctuate a lot and the bourbon will go in and out of the wood in the barrel more times than in more moderate years. Pretty cool thought process although I don't know much about it. You can also buy a bottle at the end of your tour and dip it in the wax yourself if you're into that.

I have done the "trail" once. Hit 13 distilleries in 4 days, which is really difficult because of the limited hours they are open. Repeat trips were to the ones I wanted purchases from and 2 others (Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve as those are the best tours/properties). I like Willett and Heaven Hill; they are close to each other. I typically base out of Bardstown, so 1792 is just outside of town.

With all of that said, late October is the best time to go due to boubon releases.
Bunk Moreland
Our plan for a couple days on the trail was Bulleit, Woodford, Four Roses, Maker's Mark, Heaven Hill, Beam. Then back in Louisville for another day to enjoy the town, Ali museum, Louisville Slugger, etc.

Heading back the moment they're open, and this time I might spread it out a little longer and try to hit more.
MOCO9
AG
Anybody a member of Flaviar? If so, do you recommend it or no? Thanks in advance.
austinag1997
AG
Four Roses is a good tour through their building.
austinag1997
AG
Agree with Agcrock. Loretto is in the middle of nowhere.
the dude10
AG
I have mentioned this before, but if you are in Louisville check out Westport whiskey and wine. Great liquor store that has store picks to purchase as well as a tasting room that has all of the allocated stuff available at very reasonable prices. A few years back I did a Pappy flight for like $35 or something, plus anything else you can imagine. BTAC, FRLE bottlings, EC18 or 23, pretty much everything. Owners sat in there talking whiskey for a couple hours while we went through anything we could want to try
WES2006AG
AG
MOCO9 said:

Anybody a member of Flaviar? If so, do you recommend it or no? Thanks in advance.
I tried to join when they had some sign up special but they wouldn't ship to Texas so it wouldn't let me join. That was a few years ago so things may have changed.
austinag1997
AG
WES2006AG said:

MOCO9 said:

I tried to join when they had some sign up special but they wouldn't ship to Texas so it wouldn't let me join. That was a few years ago so things may have changed.

Legally, that hasn't changed.
austinag1997
AG
the dude10 said:

I have mentioned this before, but if you are in Louisville check out Westport whiskey and wine. Great liquor store that has store picks to purchase as well as a tasting room that has all of the allocated stuff available at very reasonable prices. A few years back I did a Pappy flight for like $35 or something, plus anything else you can imagine. BTAC, FRLE bottlings, EC18 or 23, pretty much everything. Owners sat in there talking whiskey for a couple hours while we went through anything we could want to try

A lot of area restaurants still do this. Cost varies of course.
the dude10
AG
Ya, the best thing about this place was the price. A pour of GTS was $15 or less. ORVW was like $10. Just much less than I am used to seeing.
Naveronski
AG
WES2006AG said:

MOCO9 said:

I was gifted a Taster's Club membership as a groomsman, and they would ship it? Not sure how they could but the other cannot?
austinag1997
AG
the dude10 said:

Ya, the best thing about this place was the price. A pour of GTS was $15 or less. ORVW was like $10. Just much less than I am used to seeing.

Yeah, I get it. Thats huge. Low cost. Many restaurants could be double that.
austinag1997
AG
I was at Culinary Dropout (in Austin Domain) about 2 years ago. I order a sazerac. They ask what rye. Turns out they had a bottle of THH. I ask the price per pour. $14. I told them to keep making them. Think I drained the bottle. Then my group plays credit card roulette. Another card gets pulled. I got a bottle of THH for $0. My buddy still complains about that bill.
CactusThomas
AG
SpiderDude said:

SpiderDude said:

CactusThomas said:

SpiderDude said:

Can you give me a Handy?!

I can give you a ***** slap.

But seriously the THH is tucked in the back, I'm not likely to drink it and will probably sell or trade it if I find a good offer.

How do you like the Peerless small batch bourbon? I don't see it around locally so I had a friend in Austin get me some. I haven't opened mine yet.

Lol. The Peerless ain't bad. Sweet mash process if you've studied their production. I need to break it out and try it again and update with tasting notes.

Nose: brown sugar, barrel spice, light cinnamon
Palate: leather, building heat as it heads across the tongue, sweet corn, more brown sugar, pepper spice
Finish: lingering heat on the tongue and back of throat... the pepper spice hangs around well after you've swallowed.

Thanks I'm hoping to give it a try tonight
SpiderDude
AG
Yeah I know it's not bourbon. One of these is mine tho!
Bunk Moreland
So good. Found a bottle at a random store probably 6 months back. Still have about a quarter of it left.

My brother got the 18 in Austin last year somehow.
Goodest Poster
AG
SpiderDude said:

Yeah I know it's not bourbon. One of these is mine tho!

Post your review. I just bought a bottle of the Yam12 and Hibiki 12. Wasnt thrilled with either. Hibiki was super sweet but very smooth. All the stuff out of Suntory seems to be very sweet. Ive named it Jap Sap.
austinag1997
AG
Not impressed with Hibiki 12 either.
mazag08
AG
It's funny

Bourbon guys usually aren't big fans of Single Malts. Not enough oak or vanilla for them.

At the same time, the Japanese LOVE bourbon and are a big reason why stuff got so rare and why whiskey exploded.

Yamazaki 12 is a good single malt. It's on par with the big name scotches for me, but certainly not something I would go out of my way for. There's a LOT better at the same price point.
Bunk Moreland
agree lots bourbon guys usually aren't big on single malts.

What price point are you using because at the price point I bought it at off the shelf ($120), there absolutely isn't a better single malt imo. It's stunningly smooth
austinag1997
AG
Oh, I enjoy a glass of scotch occasionally. I am so sick of the bourbon craze, I quit looking for stuff. I'll go grab a store pick from OLC and enjoy that. I have a stock of the good stuff for rainy days, but we have had a lot of those lately.

Other than that, I have been drinking more rum due to lower price point for the value.

Maybe all these folks driving up the price will start drinking gin.
mazag08
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

agree lots bourbon guys usually aren't big on single malts.

What price point are you using because at the price point I bought it at off the shelf ($120), there absolutely isn't a better single malt imo. It's stunningly smooth
I had no idea it was up there. I had it about 6-7 years ago and I believe it was in the $50-$60 price point.
austinag1997
AG
I bought one a couple of years ago at the Costco liquor store... thought it was cheaper than that also.
Bunk Moreland
most places these days if it can be found seem to be $150 - $180.

And with the run on single malts over the years driving prices up, it's as good as there is out there. Instill prefer bourbon but a real nice single malt is perfect for the right situation.
TamuKid
AG
Just picked up OLC's Full Proof, and the Pinhook on your rec. I'll let ya know what I think of it.
MW03
AG
I like scotch quite a bit. I have been nursing a bottle of Lagavulin 16 I was gifted, as well as Oban 14. Both exceptional, and becoming better by comparison given the relative cost compared to what you can get in the bourbon market.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Raj has a great rum selection usually too

Almost always multiple foursquare and velier bottlings
austinag1997
AG
Think I will splurge on some of the Foursquare stuff. Any one you like best?
CharlieBrown17
AG
The ones with names are usually more fun. They're finished in something. The year ones 200x are good but just bourbon cask

Empery is really good, Sagacity is a tad cheaper I believe but I haven't had it yet
First Page Last Page
Page 455 of 1099

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.