Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,873,455 Views | 38763 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Aggie Therapist
Fall92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not a huge fan of the EHTs save for the BP. I have an EHT Rye but havent tried it yet. ETL is a solid pour if you're not overpaying. Kinda like W12- enjoy it for what it is and ignore the hype. I'd still rather sip on OWA over ETL or W12 though. MWND and the Double Rye are High West's best offerings IMO.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
CharlieBrown17
AG
cclearman said:

While it is supposed to retail for $40 I think I've paid closer to $60 on the rare times I see it available.

Issue with your stores. I've never paid more than 42 for a bottle.

Most have been in the 35 range for me.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Fall92 said:

I'm not a huge fan of the EHTs save for the BP. I have an EHT Rye but havent tried it yet. ETL is a solid pour if you're not overpaying. Kinda like W12- enjoy it for what it is and ignore the hype. I'd still rather sip on OWA over ETL or W12 though. MWND and the Double Rye are High West's best offerings IMO.

I like the rendezvous rye as well.

Don't like their bourbon/other whiskeys.

The double rye and rendezvous single barrel picks finished in other casks are really excellent depending on the finish.
Sazerac
AG
You are correct, eht sb listed at $34 on total wine. Not that they ever have it in stock...
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I really like the Rendevous Rye. I haven't tried any of their other offerings yet.
Wheatables02
AG
Any Wild Turkey fans ever had a 90's faux split? Thoughts? I have the option to buy a 1999 twelve year with tube for a good price
CactusThomas
AG
Buy it!
schwack schwack
AG
Back in the days when it was everywhere & the yellow box would have a layer of dust on it, EHT SB was our old fashioned base & it makes a damn good one,too. When it hit $70+ on secondary markets and was impossible to find, we shifted to ER or BT for mixing.

Getting hard to find everything.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Any Wild Turkey fans ever had a 90's faux split? Thoughts? I have the option to buy a 1999 twelve year with tube for a good price
do it or i will
mazag08
AG
Had no idea there were this many fans of High West.

I visited the distillery in 2013. They had just released the Campfire recently and I bought a bottle of that and Son of Bourye.

Does anyone think they will ever truly wean off of MGP sourced juice?
Wheatables02
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Wheatables02 said:

do it or i will
Done at $270
CactusThomas
AG
Never had a WT with an age statement that wasn't excellent.
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

Had no idea there were this many fans of High West.

I visited the distillery in 2013. They had just released the Campfire recently and I bought a bottle of that and Son of Bourye.

Does anyone think they will ever truly wean off of MGP sourced juice?

Why bother?! MGP's the *****!!
CactusThomas
AG
I'm looking for WT masters keep Cornerstone in Corpus Christi area. I have some good bottles to trade. PM me if interested.
Sixdrakes
AG
Do any of you degenerates want to trade your sealed 2019 OFBB for my sealed 2019 THH? Preferably in the Houston area, but willing to discuss shipping within TX. Send me a DM if you want.
MJ20/20
AG
I'll have to look around, but there ain't much I wouldn't do for a good old fashioned Handy.
pathag1
AG
I have a bottle of OFBB. I have no idea how old it is (it is at least 5 years old and possibly as old as 10 years old). I would trade it for THH.
Sixdrakes
AG
Pathag1, just sent you a PM
WreckingCrew12
AG
agcrock2005
AG
Too much bourbon?
Outdoorag011
Anyone in the Tyler/Longview area have some EHT they would trade?
William Larue Weller
AG
pathag1 said:

I have a bottle of OFBB. I have no idea how old it is (it is at least 5 years old and possibly as old as 10 years old). I would trade it for THH.
I would love to buy that OFBB outright if interested
pathag1
AG
I am not looking to outright sell the bottle, but would be interested in a trade. I would feel a little weird selling the bottle. The bottle that I have was bottled in 2014.
William Larue Weller
AG
pathag1 said:

I am not looking to outright sell the bottle, but would be interested in a trade. I would feel a little weird selling the bottle. The bottle that I have was bottled in 2014.
My graduation year, now you're just enticing me.
William Larue Weller
AG
Also fwiw I don't have a THH to trade. Best I could come up with currently is probably a Michter's 10/W12 combo.
979ag
AG
Howdy gang. I'm a senior in college and a long time lurker on this board, and I have officially decided to start building my bourbon inventory.

Gotta little change in my pocket and I think I am going to head to Spec's later. Give me the 5 bottles I have to pick up to start my bar. (I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch a couple of weeks ago and now I'm all in on the bourbon train.)

TIA
agcrock2005
AG
Rock Hill Farms
EHT Single Barrel
George T Stagg
Blanton's Special Reserve
Weller 12 (only $30 so why not)

Serious answer depends on your budget, but I like the following for ~$50 bottles.

Jefferson's Ocean
EHT Small batch (although getting hard to find)
Eagle Rare (getting hard to find)
Old Forester 1910 (or 1920)
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Sazerac
AG
one or two of those bottle can be routinely found in Houston
schwack schwack
AG
As a "beginner" if you are considering some of the high dollar bourbons, why not go buy a shot to see if you even like it.

For example, we looked for YEARS for Rock Hill Farms and never found it in the wild. Had a shot in Bryan @ The Downtown Elixir and Spirits Company and it was good, really enjoyed it, but wasn't my favorite & I don't have to have it now.
the dude10
AG
Elijah Craig small batch
Evan Williams single barrel
Four roses single barrel
Bulleit rye
Woodford reserve

These are some of the very first bottles that got me started in bourbon a few years back. All should be easy to find and won't cost much. Will cover a variety of tasting notes so you can start figuring out what you like. Enjoy this beginning stage, it's the best part! I still remember finding a way to get to the store as often as possible to grab a new bottle to try.
mazag08
AG
979ag said:

Howdy gang. I'm a senior in college and a long time lurker on this board, and I have officially decided to start building my bourbon inventory.

Gotta little change in my pocket and I think I am going to head to Spec's later. Give me the 5 bottles I have to pick up to start my bar. (I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch a couple of weeks ago and now I'm all in on the bourbon train.)

TIA
I would start with any combo of these for your money. They can all be had at $25 or less at total wine or specs. Some are better than others. I would challenge you to try 5-10 of them, learn which distillery made each and what the mash bills consist of, and form your base taste. Then move up to the $30-$40 range.

Old Forester Signature 100 Proof
Larceny
Bulleit Bourbon
Woodford Reserve
W.L. Weller Special Reserve
Maker's Mark
1792 Small Batch
Wild Turkey 101
Gentlemen Jack
Knob Creek
Jim Beam Black
Old Grand-Dad
Henry McKenna
Very Old Barton
Old Fitzgerald
Evan Williams Black
Four Roses Yellow Label
Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond
Buffalo Trace
Etc
John Francis Donaghy
No need to just straight to fancy high-dollar bottles when you're just starting out. Lots of very good pours in the 20-30 dollar range.

Elijah Craig Small Batch
Larceny
Old Grand Dad 114
Bulleit Rye (not a bourbon, but a good one to have on hand nonetheless, and nice to have some variety)

And Evan Williams White Label so you can learn now not to discount bargain bottles.

All of those will be pretty different from each other, should give a good cross section of the different bourbon styles out there (plus an intro to rye).
EastTexAg14
AG
If for some reason to don't reach a deal above I would love to have an OFBB '14. Plenty of stuff to trade
pathag1
AG
I will keep you in mind. I am currently talking with someone about a trade, but if it falls through, I will let you know.
CharlieBrown17
AG
mazag08 said:

Old Forester Signature 100 Proof
Larceny
Bulleit Bourbon
Woodford Reserve
W.L. Weller Special Reserve
Maker's Mark
1792 Small Batch
Wild Turkey 101
Gentlemen Jack
Knob Creek
Jim Beam Black
Old Grand-Dad
Henry McKenna
Very Old Barton
Old Fitzgerald
Evan Williams Black
Four Roses Yellow Label
Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond
Buffalo Trace
Etc

Skip EW black and get the bottle in bond (white label)

Gentleman jack isn't value for the dollar, would skip as well.

Old grand dad, make sure you're getting either bottled in bond or 114 not the 80 proof crap

Larceny, WSR and makers all fill the same wheated bourbon slot for me, I guess all three if you try one and like it a lot.

He already said he had a bottle of four roses small batch, I wouldn't bother with the yellow if that's the case. It's an ok mixer at best. OVD bonded or EW bonded will work just as well there and are more serviceable alone.
First Page Last Page
Page 437 of 1108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.