Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,864,312 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by trouble
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Elijah Craig as mentioned in a post or two is a good choice.

If you want to try a rye, I'd recommend rittenhouse over bulliet rye.

Rittenhouse or ODG bonded are usually my house old fashioned bottles.
Pigtails
AG
Lets see if we can have some fun with this. I have two spare eagle rare, woodford batch proof, 1 blantons, EHT Small batch among many others willing to trade in Houston area. Prefer face to face.
Sazerac
AG
I'd always buy eagle, EHT, or Blantons - don't want to trade what I have - but I have one of each so if someone is in need they should go first.
SpiderDude
AG
979ag said:

Howdy gang. I'm a senior in college and a long time lurker on this board, and I have officially decided to start building my bourbon inventory.

Gotta little change in my pocket and I think I am going to head to Spec's later. Give me the 5 bottles I have to pick up to start my bar. (I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch a couple of weeks ago and now I'm all in on the bourbon train.)

TIA

You're way ahead of the curve. I didn't seriously get into whiskey until my late 30's/ early 40's. I think the best sweet spot for value is in the $40-50 range. You're (usually) getting better juice than those in the $20-30 range and it doesn't get much better beyond that. There are $50 bottles collecting dust on shelves that (in a true blind tasting) would probably beat those bottles people are chasing for $100s on secondary. People get caught up in chasing IG selfie worthy bottles (I'm guilty myself) but there's always really good stuff you don't have to drive 100's of miles or visit 10 different stores to find.

I like the lists others gave you so I won't list much of my own other than say I love, LOVE Wild Turkey mashbills. Buy RR picks when you see them, Rare Breed, etc. Abundant black pepper spice in those. Also love Knob Creek SB 120 proofs... peanut notes in that. I love Ryes above all (I think there's much more variation in different Rye mashbills and yeasts than bourbon). Have fun with it and don't take it too seriously. It's just fermented corn mash at the end of the day.
AGdent07
AG
There are so many great bourbons that fall in that price range. You can't go wrong with any of the ones previously mentioned. Here's a couple that I recommend.

1792 full proof (definitely my favorite of the 1792 line and can be found often, not always)
Eagle Rare (I always have 2 bottles on hand, worth every penny and its what got me started)
Michter's (I prefer the rye and its my go to for an old fashioned)
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Elijah Craig BP (not always available but definitely keep an eye out for these)

I know you picked up a Four Roses but next time you should pick up the 4R small batch select (non-chill filtered).

Don't let the bourbon critics decide for you what you like. There's alot of hype in some bottles.
Pigtails
AG
I have EHT Small Batch
DDSO
AG
What is retail on Old Forester 1910? I found several bottles the other day but they didn't have a price tag on the shelf. They were covered in dust, so it made me think they were over priced.

I am cheap and don't like to over pay for things.
HouseDivided06
AG
$45-$50 is what I generally see it listed at.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Personally find the base micthers offerings to be bland and overpriced.

The barrel strength rye is excellent
DDSO
AG
Thanks. They had a tag up for 1920 for $66. Not sure how those two compare. I love bourbon but I am just now getting to the point where I pay attention to different types and price points.
HouseDivided06
AG
Where are you located? I see 1910 in Specs and Total Wine fairly regularly right around $50 in Dallas
DDSO
AG
I am in Tyler. I will check around next time I am up there. Thanks again.
CharlieBrown17
AG
DDSO said:

Thanks. They had a tag up for 1920 for $66. Not sure how those two compare. I love bourbon but I am just now getting to the point where I pay attention to different types and price points.

That's about 10 over or so.
Outdoorag011
What's everyone's opinion on Knob Creek 12yr? $54 a good price?
Wheatables02
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

I didn't think it was anything special. Save $10 and grab a barrel pick when you see one.
SpiderDude
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Outdoorag011 said:

I didn't think it was anything special. Save $10 and grab a barrel pick when you see one.

I have 3 KC SB 120 picks.
MW03
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Outdoorag011 said:

Put me in the disagree camp. I think it's one of the better bottles I've purchased recently.
CharlieBrown17
AG
MW03 said:

Wheatables02 said:

Outdoorag011 said:

Put me in the disagree camp. I think it's one of the better bottles I've purchased recently.

I think most people's thought is you can get a 12 yr or old, 120 proof for 45 instead of a 12 yr 100 proof for 55.

Though I think the super aged 120 picks are going to take a hit because of this
RooAg
AG
I've come into possession of a Wild Turkey Rare Breed batch W-T-03-94. I have no idea if this is any good or not and can't find much on the internet. I assume it is from March 1994 from the batch number? Any insight? Supposed to be any good? Thanks in advance.
CactusThomas
AG
I'm a huge fan of the Knob Creek 9 year single barrel 120 proof and I also really like the 12 year 100 proof.

As always, the store picks are hit or miss. I have a 15 year that is over oaked. Its still good, but I prefer the 2 I mentioned above.
Wheatables02
AG
RooAg said:

I've come into possession of a Wild Turkey Rare Breed batch W-T-03-94. I have no idea if this is any good or not and can't find much on the internet. I assume it is from March 1994 from the batch number? Any insight? Supposed to be any good? Thanks in advance.

What's the proof? I don't see it on this list.

http://imgur.com/gallery/sOfRRxl

But I'll give you $150 for it
RooAg
AG
109.6 proof. Found a picture of the same bottle in link below, but can't find anything written about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/323062973244985202/
Wheatables02
AG
RooAg said:

109.6 proof. Found a picture of the same bottle in link below, but can't find anything written about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/323062973244985202/
Interesting. If you want to sell or trade, let me know. I love WT.
EastTexAg14
AG
Whats your favorite you have had to date?

Was able to pick up a couple '81 decanted with clear bourbon and good fill level early this year. I am 100% on the dusty Turkey train.
Wheatables02
AG
EastTexAg14 said:

Whats your favorite you have had to date?

Was able to pick up a couple '81 decanted with clear bourbon and good fill level early this year. I am 100% on the dusty Turkey train.
my favorite duty is the 1994 1855 Reserve 109.6. RR 98 was the best WT product I have had.

I am cracking a 1988 WT 101 year tomorrow for my birthday. Will report.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
EastTexAg14 said:

I am 100% on the dusty Turkey train.
Same. Loading up on late80's/early 90's WT101.
EastTexAg14
AG
I hobbled into it a bit late but there are still some finds out there.
Sazerac
AG
Why do people have unopened bottles of wild turkey from 30 yrs ago?
Wheatables02
AG
cclearman said:

Because there is a God.
AggBock
AG
I received a 30 year old bottle of Chefs regal from a coworker one time. It was just as bad as the new batch.
Latrobe
AG
I was able to pick up a bottle of Angels Envy Rye last week, and now just stumbled upon some Blanton's!

I've really enjoyed the AE rye. So many flavors.....

Looking forward to trying the Blanton's tonight.
aggielostinETX
AG
cclearman said:

I have a 30 year old bottle of Weller
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
AggBock
AG
Where did you find the Blantons? I've been looking for a month.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Latrobe
AG
Happened to walk into a small strip center liquor store and was looking around.....dumb luck. He said it was his first bottle in 6 months.
First Page Last Page
Page 438 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.