Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,845 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by ryeguy
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's good bull!!!
Wheatables02
AG
40th Birthday Pour.

AggBock
AG
I was talking to a guy at the liquor store and he told me that ancient aged bourbon is starting to be scarce as well. You can't get buffalo trace anymore in Fort Worth so folks moved on to plastic bottle stuff. That is nuts.
AGdent07
AG
Had a friend travel to Nashville a couple months ago and visit the Nelson's Green Brier Distillery (Belle Meade). He asked me if I wanted anything but I haven't had any of the Belle Meade bourbons. I mentioned the Belle Meade honey since I know it is extremely hard to come by. Unfortunately they weren't releasing any till the next week so we just missed out. I'm thinking I may pick up a bottle of the cask strength in the future. Just wanted to know if any of you have any opinions/experience with Belle Meade. Thanks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I personally really like their stuff. If you can get your hands on a single barrel cask strength release of theirs, it is worth it. The barrel variants they put out are interesting for sure.
HouseDivided06
AG
Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve is one of if not my top favorite easily found bottle right now. I think it is damn good. Great flavor, lots going on with it, and for $55, it's hard to beat
CharlieBrown17
AG
Specs did a single barrel cask strength of the sherry a while ago, wouldn't be around anymore but it was really really good
Sazerac
AG
is BM Tennessee Whisky with the charcoal filtering?

That's not my jam...
John Francis Donaghy
cclearman said:

is BM Tennessee Whisky with the charcoal filtering?

That's not my jam...

I think they're still using sourced bourbon from MGP. Not sure if they're selling their own in-house stuff yet.

Also important to clarify that charcoal filtered isn't necessarily Sugar Maple charcoal. A number of bourbon distilleries use charcoal filtration to speed up the aging process, but they use White Oak charcoal just like the aging barrels are made from so it doesnt alter the flavor, just speeds it up a little.

Tennessee Whiskies use Sugar Maple charcoal, which gives them their own unique flavor before barrelling that they use to differentiate themselves from bourbons.
agcrock2005
AG
AGdent07 said:

Had a friend travel to Nashville a couple months ago and visit the Nelson's Green Brier Distillery (Belle Meade). He asked me if I wanted anything but I haven't had any of the Belle Meade bourbons. I mentioned the Belle Meade honey since I know it is extremely hard to come by. Unfortunately they weren't releasing any till the next week so we just missed out. I'm thinking I may pick up a bottle of the cask strength in the future. Just wanted to know if any of you have any opinions/experience with Belle Meade. Thanks.
Their cask strength reserve is awesome.
AGdent07
AG
Thanks for all your input. Looks like I'll be picking up a bottle soon.
CharlieBrown17
AG
They're selling their own, distillery only right now and with a limited market rollout in the future.
MW03
AG
Made a gold rush this afternoon. Underrated cocktail.
J.P. 03
AG
100% chance this guy posts here. Which one of you just dropped $40,000 for a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/us/florida-veteran-bourbon-datz-restaurant-trnd/index.html

(or as I'd tell my wife, donated $40k to support a local restaurant. The booze was just a thank-you gift)

Oh, and Rule #1:
agcrock2005
AG
Good story.
MW03
AG
Big thumbs up to the Belle Meade reserve cask strength. Most flavorful bourbon I've picked up in a while, and a solid value even at $60.
Superdave1993
AG
A buddy brought over a bottle of the Jefferson's bourbon & rye blend this weekend and we killed half a bottle without trying. That stuff went down really easy and was enjoyable.
HouseDivided06
AG
I really swear by it. So much going on with it without being overpowering. Need to grab another bottle.
agcrock2005
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

I really swear by it. So much going on with it without being overpowering. Need to grab another bottle.
Same. Took my bottle to a buddy's house to give to him, ended up opening then immediately regretted giving to him. Really good.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I just picked up a bottle of the Belle Meade Reserve Cask Strength. Looking forward to trying it out.
William Larue Weller
AG
Wheatables02 said:

40th Birthday Pour.

I've seen this mentioned in some of my FB groups... what year is it, and if you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for it?
Wheatables02
AG
Trump 2020 said:

Wheatables02 said:

40th Birthday Pour.

I've seen this mentioned in some of my FB groups... what year is it, and if you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for it?
bottled 1989...couldn't get an 88. Bought it from a friend and it was discounted to $300. Included box, wood box, turkey feather, and post card. Would usually cost $350 plus
William Larue Weller
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Trump 2020 said:

Wheatables02 said:

40th Birthday Pour.

bottled 1989...couldn't get an 88. Bought it from a friend and it was discounted to $300. Included box, wood box, turkey feather, and post card. Would usually cost $350 plus
That's super cool, thanks for the info. What are the tasting notes/what would you compare it to?
Wheatables02
AG
Trump 2020 said:

Wheatables02 said:

Trump 2020 said:

Wheatables02 said:

40th Birthday Pour.

That's super cool, thanks for the info. What are the tasting notes/what would you compare it to?
Butterscotch and rye spice. I can't compare it to anything nowadays because it doesn't taste like anything made now. I need to revisit after the bottle gets a little more oxygen.
Johnsy3
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

This cracks me up but didn't stop me from getting the new 2020-1 "Granny's Batch."

Also picked up High West Double Rye! Specs pick - finished 16 months in a rum cask
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ooo where was that double rye?
TamuKid
AG
I have a Weller 12 I'd like to turn into something else. Anyone in the greater Austin area with an ETL or RHF that would be willing to trade?
agcrock2005
AG
I'm sure people will give you **** in here for trying to trade your "$30 screw top" bottle for something much better and harder to find but I just traded a W12 straight up for a RHF in Dallas so it's possible. Can't believe there's so much value in W12 these days.
aggielostinETX
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I'm sure people will give you **** in here for trying to trade your "$30 screw top" bottle for something much better and harder to find but I just traded a W12 straight up for a RHF in Dallas so it's possible. Can't believe there's so much value in W12 these days.

You are the only one who gives people **** for W12 prices.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
RaylanGivens
agcrock2005 said:

As with almost anything descent in Bourbon nowadays, "much better" is in the eye of the beholder...
TamuKid
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I don't mind ignoring the haters. Someone out there may not be able to find a W12 and wants one, but has an ETL or RHF they don't mind trading. W12 is a 30 buck bottle, as much as ETL and RHF are 40 and 50 dollar bottles. Haha. All relative to availability and what you can or can't find at that point.

You cracked the RHF yet? If so, what'd ya think? I'm wanting one to do a flight lineup of Mashbill #2.
RaylanGivens
RaylanGivens said:

agcrock2005 said:

As with almost anything decent in Bourbon nowadays, "much better" is in the eye of the beholder...
Johnsy3
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Ooo where was that double rye?

Houston - 45 and Rayford. Heard a few stores around got a case.
mazag08
AG
Weller 12
agcrock2005
AG
Deats said:

agcrock2005 said:

You are the only one who gives people **** for W12 prices.
Not sure what comment/comments you're referring to, but the W12 pricing is crazy. I don't remember giving PEOPLE ****, but moreso the pricing of W12 (and even OWA now days). The fact that I was able to get a RHF for a W12 is absolutely insane. Also, the guy I mentioned a couple months ago selling one behind his counter for $399 is crazy. I wasn't giving Tamukid **** because I was able to trade my not-so-good "$30 screw top" bottle for a bottle I've never seen in 3 years of searching. I can't believe it, but his trade is possible...
First Page Last Page
Page 439 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.