Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,854,188 Views | 38554 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by Bulldog73
aggielostinETX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agcrock2005 said:

AggBock said:

Blanton online is $199. Weller 12 is in the 300 range

Ok. Are you trolling?

I don't think you realize what secondary prices are in actuality.
FriedTex
AG
mazag08 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

It's not even marketing. It's just fanboy hype.

And no, it's not worth paying much over retail for. If you can find the Antique or the 12 Year at $35 or less, go for it. Otherwise, I'd pass.

The 12 is damn good stuff. Buttery smooth.

To me, it's worth $50. What makes it even more rare though is that there just isn't very many wheated bourbons out there, and definitely not enough with the flavor that Weller has.

Disagree. Makers Mark cast strength is better and cheaper than 50
agcrock2005
AG
Deats said:

agcrock2005 said:

AggBock said:

Blanton online is $199. Weller 12 is in the 300 range

Ok. Are you trolling?

I don't think you realize what secondary prices are in actuality.
I just traded a $29 screw top W12 for a RHF, which I had never seen in 3 years of searching. Yes I understand. This person's first post was "Is Weller 12 the same as SPecial reserve?"
CactusThomas
AG
Why are you giving him a hard time for asking questions?
AggBock
AG
If I knew how to load a pic I would show you. Anyways, I have been searching for blantons for some time now in the metroplex.
Sazerac
AG
Which planet is Spankys located upon?
CactusThomas
AG
Spankys is a chain of liquor stores on the Coastal Bend.

Texas, USA, Earth.
mazag08
AG
FriedTex said:

mazag08 said:

And no, it's not worth paying much over retail for. If you can find the Antique or the 12 Year at $35 or less, go for it. Otherwise, I'd pass.

To me, it's worth $50. What makes it even more rare though is that there just isn't very many wheated bourbons out there, and definitely not enough with the flavor that Weller has.

I've yet to have it. But my FIL just picked up a bottle and is bringing it over this weekend. I wish I had some W12 to do a blind with the two of them. I can do a blind against Special Reserve though.
LCE
AG
Love Makers cask. Have a 1.75 of W12 I bought a few years ago. Haven't opened that one yet. It is smooth.
MJ20/20
AG
One positive angle to the virus situation is that it looks like government regulations on shipping spirits is loosening. It may be temporary, but in the end it may not. There are many online shops that ship (just not to Texas) that have whiskeys listed for way under what we would buy them for here in Texas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some of these will be able to ship to us shortly. I will post links to any that I am have any luck with.
Goldie Wilson
MJ20/20 said:

One positive angle to the virus situation is that it looks like government regulations on shipping spirits is loosening. It may be temporary, but in the end it may not. There are many online shops that ship (just not to Texas) that have whiskeys listed for way under what we would buy them for here in Texas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some of these will be able to ship to us shortly. I will post links to any that I am have any luck with.
This is what I have to do in North Carolina, where the liquor stores are all government operated. It's impossible to find anything decent in stores here, as everything gets picked over by employees and friends of employees before it hits the shelves.

If you do go the online route, I'd highly recommend starting your search with wine-searcher.com (which, despite the name, isn't just for wine)
MJ20/20
AG
Will do thank you.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
MJ20/20 said:

And tons of stores all across this great land that ship bottles to Texas. I regularly buy from little mom and pop shops all over California, Florida, along the East coast that, with shipping (no tax) are cheaper to my doorstep than stores here in Texas.
MJ20/20
AG
Shoot me some links. Almost all of the sites I used to buy from no longer ship to the great state of Texas.
Goldie Wilson
Ducks4brkfast said:

MJ20/20 said:

And tons of stores all across this great land that ship bottles to Texas. I regularly buy from little mom and pop shops all over California, Florida, along the East coast that, with shipping (no tax) are cheaper to my doorstep than stores here in Texas.
Would also be interested in some stores that ship if you don't mind sharing. Thanks
SpiderDude
AG
FriedTex said:

mazag08 said:

MW03
AG
Dan 07 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

MJ20/20 said:

Would also be interested in some stores that ship if you don't mind sharing. Thanks

Del Mesa has worked for me in the past.
AggBock
AG
I looked at del Mesa and that is the site I was on. Blantons is 199 and Weller 12 is 297. I don't know why I was called out... I asked if that was a fair price.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Websites that are stores that will ship are higher than secondary markets.

W12 fifths are in the 140-160 range right now.

Blantons is in the 100 range.

You can get SFTB for 200.
CactusThomas
AG
I don't know why you were called out either. In my opinion those are not fair prices BUT like Deats says the secondary market is crazy and its worth it to some people.

To me its overpriced because there is so much other good, available bourbon priced at retail.
PearlandAg09
AG
Liquor store just left in Houston has a W12 for $149.

Never had it and debating whether to go back in after reading some of these
HouseDivided06
AG
As in you're thinking of getting it to flip or to drink? If to drink, don't. It's not worth $150. Just isn't.
MW03
AG
Just got a Weller 107 for MSRP locally. Guy said they had a box of 12 and 107 delivered this morning, the 12 was gone within an hour, and I got the last 107.
CharlieBrown17
AG
And it doesn't flip for anything more than 150 or so plus shipping anyway.
PearlandAg09
AG
Thanks. It would be to drink for myself. I don't believe in buying to flip but to each their own.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Then definitely don't buy it.

Weller as a whole is overhyped.

OWA is the best of the non BTAC weller and it's still not mind blowing
Sazerac
AG
It's not worth it.

Of the stuff readily available in Houston the Elijah Craig Small Batch 1.75 for $5x is hard to beat. It's not worth a 60% premium over Buffalo Trace to me, but I still rarely can find BF, especially in 1.75.

What's y'all's best bang for the buck, and always in stock?
CactusThomas
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Weller as a whole is overhyped.

OWA is the best of the non BTAC weller and it's still not mind blowing

Amen
MW03
AG
What do you guys think about Stagg Jr. for $140? Saw that recently, loved the bottle I had probably around 2016, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Sucks because I've been chasing it for a while.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Non Texas market, ECBP.

In both Mississippi and Oklahoma it's almost always available and 55-65 dollars depending on store.

If I had to drink one bourbon the rest of my life with the conditions being I had to pay for it and find it on the shelf, that would be it.
Sazerac
AG
Don't think I've seen the BP in Houston.
HouseDivided06
AG
I love Stagg Jr. but I just cannot bring myself to ever pay double retail for something. I MIGHT pay $100 for it, but even that I think would be a stretch for me.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah it's super weird. I found one bottle in 2 years in college station.

First week I moved to Mississippi I bought a case and a half for myself and a few friends in Texas.

ETA: see below
PearlandAg09
AG
Woodford Reserve, the double Oaked too. 4R SB but that's even been spotty as of late
PearlandAg09
AG
If you or others on here are in Houston area Baywood Liquor had a bottle of Stagg Jr a couple days ago behind the counter. $120.
First Page Last Page
Page 433 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.