Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,404 Views | 38371 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Success on all fronts. Will have two bottles out to all y'all Monday.

I know I told everyone individually but it's more fun to share with the class

Distro is weird.

Posted this when I first moved to Mississippi, all of these were bought at 2 stores off the shelf all in a town of 25K plus 1500 or so on base. And then I've gotten multiples of every batch since
BT1395
AG
Noob here, but love this thread!

I'm sure it's been asked, so please forgive the redundant question, but any Rec's for best website that ships to Texas with Blanton's? Thanks and cheers!
AggBock
AG
Put your hard hat on bud. I got killed for this question. Might as well ask which pappy goes best with Diet Coke?
agcrock2005
AG
MW03 said:

What do you guys think about Stagg Jr. for $140? Saw that recently, loved the bottle I had probably around 2016, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Sucks because I've been chasing it for a while.
Where are you located? I can get you a bottle for $100 tomorrow in DFW. Don't really want to mess with shipping and all that mess but if you are fairly close then I'll get it for you.
agcrock2005
AG
AggBock said:

Put your hard hat on bud. I got killed for this question. Might as well ask which pappy goes best with Diet Coke?
Wow. I was just messing with you snowflake because your question was asking the difference between a W12 and WSR which was humorous because W12, for some reason, has become this incredibly hard to find and highly sought after turd of a bourbon and WSR is just a turd. Both should be $28 but unfortunately only one is now days. Sorry if I offended you. Just having some fun.
FriedTex
AG
MW03 said:

What do you guys think about Stagg Jr. for $140? Saw that recently, loved the bottle I had probably around 2016, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Sucks because I've been chasing it for a while.

I wouldn't go over 60. I like it a lot, it's the "hottest" bourbon out there IMO but it's not a 100+ bottle

Slow the hype down and just enjoy OF1920 or MMCS - easy to find, decent price, taste great
AggBock
AG
No problem. I thought WSR was pretty sought after. What do you recommend I pick up? I noticed a makers cask strength at the store today. Should I try that? My favorite so far is four roses single barrel.
AGdent07
AG
I have an extra bottle of Weller 107 and Weller 12 that I'd be willing to trade. I have enjoyed both and do think its worth more than the MSRP but no way near the secondary market value. Im in the Houston area. If any of you guys are in the area and interested PM me.
Sixdrakes
AG
You can get these all day long for less than $115 on secondary. I wouldn't pay more than $75 retail.
agcrock2005
AG
AggBock said:

No problem. I thought WSR was pretty sought after. What do you recommend I pick up? I noticed a makers cask strength at the store today. Should I try that? My favorite so far is four roses single barrel.
Really depends on what you like and your budget. Lots of people love Blanton's but I prefer Eagle Rare by far over it and it's cheaper although getting harder to find. If you're brand new to bourbon I think Elijah Craig Small Batch (along with 4R single barrel that you mentioned) is one of the most underrated bourbons that you can find on the shelf. Some other favorites are OF1920 (1910 awesome too), EHT small batch, WR double oaked (goody goody store pick is what I have and it's great).

Again, sorry if I offended you previously. Just messing around. Lots of knowlege (I'm not even in the top 50% probably) on this thread if you're really looking to learn about bourbon.
SpiderDude
AG
AggBock said:

The 23 year of course! The extra wood notes really pairs well with the aspartame.
SpiderDude
AG
AggBock said:

If you're willing to spend a bit more try the Four Roses Small Batch Select. Excellent and at 104 it's almost in barrel proof range.
agcrock2005
AG
If anyone in DFW wants the Stagg Jr. for $100 ($99+tax) let me know. I'll be passing through in about 2 hours and can grab it for you. I'm not spending that much for a bottle but if it's worth that for someone else I'm happy to grab it.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
The 1910 is one of my favorites right now. I just opened the 1920 for the first time and that was great as well.
HouseDivided06
AG
1910 and Belle Meade Cask Strength are probably my 2 favorite readily available bourbons right now. Both are just fantastic
Chipotlemonger
AG
I love the Belle Meade aged bourbon. Have had a few single Barrel store picks of the barrel proof belle meade stuff, and they have been stellar.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The single barrel cask strength Belle Meade is some of the best old stock MGP out there imo
mazag08
AG
Wait a second, where did all the Weller hate come from? Sometimes I feel like the "barrel proof is the best" people simply can't understand that there are people who prefer sweeter and smoother bourbon, and Weller is at the top of the game in that arena if you can find it as MSRP.

WSR is one of the best value buys. The 12 is a well seasoned mastery of the that line of whiskey. Anything aged longer would likely lose more flavor than it would gain. It's not something you would put away for your daughter's wedding or an A&M National Championship, but its not a "turd" by any stretch. If you need more heat, fine. But that's a personal preference and nothing more.
CharlieBrown17
AG
mazag08 said:

Wait a second, where did all the Weller hate come from? Sometimes I feel like the "barrel proof is the best" people simply can't understand that there are people who prefer sweeter and smoother bourbon, and Weller is at the top of the game in that arena if you can find it as MSRP.

WSR is one of the best value buys. The 12 is a well seasoned mastery of the that line of whiskey. Anything aged longer would likely lose more flavor than it would gain. It's not something you would put away for your daughter's wedding or an A&M National Championship, but its not a "turd" by any stretch. If you need more heat, fine. But that's a personal preference and nothing more.

No one said literally anything you said.

Weller is hyped beyond its quality, and that has nothing to do with proof.

Pretty much everyone has said it's worth MSRP. But the fact that people spend 150+ on weller 12 is asinine. Same with OWA for 90+.
mazag08
AG
I can agree with that.

And someone above did call it a turd.
Wheatables02
AG
mazag08 said:

Not trying to be a dick, but William Larue Weller says hi and 107 is better than the 12.
lazuras_dc
AG
Went by Total Wine And was disappointed in their selection and on my way out I noticed they had a "pick one per customer per visit" on their customer service desk yesterday. Blantons , Eagle Rare and Weller Antique !
CactusThomas
AG
Which did you get?
lazuras_dc
AG
Grabbed a Blantons. Came back with my wife and got antique and another Blantons.
CactusThomas
AG
Corpus, right?
agcrock2005
AG
mazag08 said:

I can agree with that.

And someone above did call it a turd.

Turd for the price (secondary) . It's a great $30 bottle.
mazag08
AG
Name one major distiller 12 year that's under $40 MSRP.
Sazerac
AG
Certainly not Houston.
Blanton's doesn't go out to the general public ever

I've been able to purchase Eagle Rare once in the last 5, and that is because the store lady happened to mention to me she had one on allocation
CharlieBrown17
AG
mazag08 said:

No one is arguing the merit of the bottle at MSRP.
CactusThomas
AG
mazag08 said:

Does 13 years count? Dickel bonded.
EC small batch had a 12 year statement seemingly yesterday. They removed it so it didn't go the way of w12.
Robert C. Christian
AG
I thought they removed '12' so they could produce more faster. W12 went the way it did thanks to Poor Man's Pappy.
CactusThomas
AG
That's what I mean. Make it faster to keep it on the shelf
Robert C. Christian
AG
Gotcha.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Appleton makes a great 12 yr as well
SpiderDude
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Appleton makes a great 12 yr as well

Take it to the rum thread!!! ;P
First Page Last Page
Page 434 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.