Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,858,276 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by ryeguy
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A WP10 store pick or Russell's Reserve Single Barrel.
Wheatables02
AG
And pikesville
SpiderDude
AG
V8Aggie said:

What would you guys suggest as the best easily obtainable rye?

I recently tried MWND and a 7 year willet and LOVED them!

"Easily obtainable?" Anything is easily obtainable ...if you're willing to pay enough. I'll add an additional requirement of $40 or under.
I love MGP juice. You can get a bunch under $40. I'd say Old Forester, Michter's, Woodford, High West DR and... don't laugh but Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is great if you get a good batch (there's significant variability batch to batch).
V8Aggie
AG
SpiderDude said:

V8Aggie said:

"Easily obtainable?" Anything is easily obtainable ...if you're willing to pay enough. I'll add an additional requirement of $40 or under.
I love MGP juice. You can get a bunch under $40. I'd say Old Forester, Michter's, Woodford, High West DR and... don't laugh but Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is great if you get a good batch (there's significant variability batch to batch).

Thanks. By easily obtainable I want to walk into total wine / specs and pay retail. Anything under $100.
HouseDivided06
AG
Second the Pikesville recommendation. Incredibly good for $42 and you'd never guess is 110 proof. I also think the Whistlepig store picks are pretty damn good for $75. MWND and Little Book are awesome but hard to find as you mentioned. I know some folks love High West Double Rye but to me it's just ok. The Knob Creek Single Barrel store picks are pretty damn solid for the money too
Fall92
AG
Second the High West Double Rye.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
SpiderDude
AG
In that case have you had the Angel's Envy Finished Rye?!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Pikesville

HW rendezvous rye

WP10 picks

Willett 4 yr

Barrell rye

WT101 rye

Old forester rye
CharlieBrown17
AG
SpiderDude said:

In that case have you had the Angel's Envy Finished Rye?!

Mmmmm flavor packets
tripperwill
AG
Old Forester Rye is fantastic for the price
TamuKid
AG
Anyone enter the Pappy Raffle at WB in Kyle tomorrow? If so, see ya there!
RigsTx
AG
TamuKid said:

I'll be at the one in Midland. Hoping to get lucky.
TMfrisco
AG
V8Aggie said:

Rittenhouse BiB is a solid choice at a bargain price.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Midtown Spec's release is bonkers. At 6am there were 90 in line. By 7 pushing 120. By 8, 180.

Weller Full Proof release, maybe 120 bottles, plus OWA, Blanton's and a bunch of others.

I decided at 6 wasn't worth the 40 min drive.
AggieDad24
Will be there. Not sure how many tickets were issued but the lady at the store told me they only have a few bottles
Pitter Patter
RigsTx
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

Will be there. Not sure how many tickets were issued but the lady at the store told me they only have a few bottles

I've heard 150 tickets per location. Not confirmed though.
Post removed:
by user
AlaskanAg99
AG
third coast.. said:

And a bunch of HBS releases. So ridiculous imo. Over 300 people there in line. Some people's children....

It was a want, not a need. If there had been 50 people I probably would have done it. But I need my back to continue to heal over my want for Bourbon. So I slept instead. Zero rare bottles this season and I'm ok with that.
SpiderDude
AG
Yeah. I'm not driving to Kyle to deal with the madness. My BiL scored me a Little Book in East Texas so I'm happy. Another friend got me a Knob Creek Cask Strength. Scored a Weller 12 handle Christmas Eve as well as a Booker's Country Ham. Stumbled onto a Chocolate Malted Rye this week. Cracked open Wild Turkey Cornerstone Rye for Christmas. Yeah, I'd say I'm good for a while.

A while = 1 week.
the dude10
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Pikesville

HW rendezvous rye

WP10 picks

Willett 4 yr

Barrell rye

WT101 rye

Old forester rye

This list right here. I really like the rendezvous also and WT101 is very underrated, though I see it at 80 proof way more often. Michters barrel proof rye is pretty good also, as well as woodford. There are so many ryes available that are decently priced just try a bunch and see what you like. The first mgp rye I ever tasted was bulleit rye and I was pretty much hooked after that.

High west produces midwinter nights dram. They also make yippie ki yay for a finished rye. MWND uses port barrels with rendezvous rye and YKY uses vermouth and Syrah barrels with double rye. If you like MWND you will probably like YKY, though I have heard from some people that don't feel that way. I think its pretty good and fairly readily available if you want something similar at a decent price point.
SpiderDude
AG
TamuKid said:

How'd it go?! Was it as crazy as expected?
RigsTx
AG
SpiderDude said:

TamuKid said:

How'd it go?! Was it as crazy as expected?

Midland store they used the wrong list at first. They announced 8 names with none present before someone said that the name they announced was at one of the San Antonio stores. Once they got it figured out things moved smoothly.

I ended up winning an ORVW so I was pretty stoked. Ironically I was one of few males to win. Most were wives or the funniest was the girl who won and her uncle wearing a 12th man jersey went up with her to celebrate and told her she was his favorite niece.
AggieDad24
Bryan store was out of control. Such a small store and so many people in it. A lot of the winners were regulars. They had 19 bottles of Pappy and two bottles of Stagg. Only one 23 year and 20 year. A ton of flippers
Pitter Patter
RigsTx
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

Bryan store was out of control. Such a small store and so many people in it. A lot of the winners were regulars. They had 19 bottles of Pappy and two bottles of Stagg. Only one 23 year and 20 year. A ton of flippers

They didn't have any BTAC at the Midland store. 1 each of 23, 20, 15, 5 12s and 6 10s
MW03
AG
SpiderDude said:

I just grabbed a Woodford Reserve Chocolate Malted Rye. It was the only one they had (or got in) at TW Lakeline. Not sure if I want to hang on for trade or break it open. It fits well in my collection as I lean towards Rye. Anyone tried this one???

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/2019/11/18/why-woodford-reserves-chocolate-malted-rye-is-the-perfect-bourbon-lovers-gift/amp/

So I opened mine. It's extremely interesting. It's not like anything I've ever had before. Drinking it neat. Minimal sweetness, lots and lots of spice. More liquorice to me than anything else. Tastes different throughout the sip. Smells and tastes different after sitting in the glass for a minute. The chocolate and vanilla are there in the malt flavor, but the finish is just so odd. Getting better the longer it sits. Might be one to keep on the shelf for a while.

I don't know what the world is going to think of this one. Super complex, and very different.
mazag08
AG
Woodford has some interesting releases over the years. My favorite was the Double Oak.

We had another Christmas gathering tonight and my brother informs me that dad has had Weller 12 in the freezer for at least 15 years. I go look and sure enough, behind a bunch of random crap.. Weller 12. The bottle was purchased in 2005. We finished it off tonight after letting it get to room temp. It has bits of ash and small flakes of wood from the barrel in it. Never seen that before.

The bottle had a white label. I looked it up, and apparently a never opened bottle from the same year is $600 on the open market. It's good, but that seems crazy.
Post removed:
by user
Daytona22
AG
Traveling for a few days and went into a store in Wimberley to see if had anything interesting worth buying. Had a glass case with some allocated items. Wasn't surprised to see W12 for $200. Checking to see what they had GTS for and figured it would be $400-500. Nope.... $1200. Wow...
betadawg1
AG
V8Aggie said:

If you like a cocktail I had one at a restaurant in Clemson. They used Bourbon but I switched it out for rye. It is so quick and easy to make I have had to many to count since we got back.

2 oz Rye
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Honey Syrup + 1/8-1/4 oz more if you like it a bit sweeter. 2 parts honey/1 part water, heated until combined.
A little Everclear will keep the syrup good for a long time but it hasn't lasted long enough for me to worry about it.
Orange twist
I started adding 5 drops of Woodford Spiced Cherry bitters because I like them.

These are the ryes I tried and liked in the cocktail. Some are okay for sipping, all around $25.

Wild Turkey 101
Bulleit 95
Old Forester 100 Proof
Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond
Old Overholt Bonded Rye
Sazerac
Buck Compton
AG
That's just a Hot Toddy.

Try adding a small dash of cinnamon. I don't even mess with making a syrup, just mix whiskey, lemon juice, cinnamon, and honey in a coffee mug, the use the Kuerig to fill the rest up with really hot water. Stir and enjoy. Also good with a few muddled mint leaves.
Wheatables02
AG
Yep, that mix got me over sickness from my kids between 12/23 and now. Hot toddy!!
Buck Compton
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Yep, that mix got me over sickness from my kids between 12/23 and now. Hot toddy!!
That's when it's best. My wife just came down with the flu yesterday so while she has tamiflu and cough syrup, I enjoy hot toddy's as a preventative measure.
betadawg1
AG
I'm drinking it on ice. Maybe that's why I haven't gotten sick.
TamuKid
AG
Kyle Raffle went pretty well. Had maybe 15 bottles or so. Called each name three times before moving on. Only a few names weren't there. Seemed like a fair draw. Pretty good crowd (100 people or so).

I didn't win, but picked up a couple Copper & Thief Cellarmaster Red Blends for $19.99 a piece. Can't wait to try those. Made the best of it! Haha
John Francis Donaghy
TamuKid said:

I didn't win, but picked up a couple Copper & Thief Cellarmaster Red Blends for $19.99 a piece. Can't wait to try those. Made the best of it! Haha

I really like the one aged in High West Rye barrels.
First Page Last Page
Page 402 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.