Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,858,630 Views | 38602 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Aggie Therapist
Gordon McKernan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not a regular on this thread so apologize If this has been discussed but my go to daily is Woodford Reserve. Usually on ice, sometimes neat. Really enjoy it but curious what are some solid substitutes I should try out? If they are cheaper substitutes even better.

TIA.
aggielostinETX
AG
mazag08 said:

Woodford has some interesting releases over the years. My favorite was the Double Oak.

We had another Christmas gathering tonight and my brother informs me that dad has had Weller 12 in the freezer for at least 15 years. I go look and sure enough, behind a bunch of random crap.. Weller 12. The bottle was purchased in 2005. We finished it off tonight after letting it get to room temp. It has bits of ash and small flakes of wood from the barrel in it. Never seen that before.

The bottle had a white label. I looked it up, and apparently a never opened bottle from the same year is $600 on the open market. It's good, but that seems crazy.

My MIL has one from late 70s unopened.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Westicles
AG
RigsTx said:

MaroonBaboon said:

Bryan store was out of control. Such a small store and so many people in it. A lot of the winners were regulars. They had 19 bottles of Pappy and two bottles of Stagg. Only one 23 year and 20 year. A ton of flippers

They didn't have any BTAC at the Midland store. 1 each of 23, 20, 15, 5 12s and 6 10s

I was at the Midland WB raffle as well. They sold their BTAC stuff to local restaurants and bars and only raffles off the Winkle stuff.

It was disappointing to me how many people's wife's, moms, sister-in-laws, etc won. That's pretty much all that won. In one instance a guy I knew got his whole extended family to sign up and go and basically had 10x the chance to win than me or any of my buddies. His sister-in-law won a bottle and immediately gave it to him. Oh well, guess I didn't game the system right.

What's funny about the Midland bourbon scene is 2 years ago I was on a 15 person list at Pinkies. Got a call for a Stagg, showed up to collect and asked how it went. They said they still had a bottle of THH, WLW and S18 that they went through their list and no one wanted them at all, so they sold me the THH as well as the GTS I was selected for. Now you can't find anything at all on the shelf. Hell they called me off the list a month ago for a 4R Small Batch Select like it was something special.
AggieDad24
Westicles said:

RigsTx said:

MaroonBaboon said:

Bryan store was out of control. Such a small store and so many people in it. A lot of the winners were regulars. They had 19 bottles of Pappy and two bottles of Stagg. Only one 23 year and 20 year. A ton of flippers

They didn't have any BTAC at the Midland store. 1 each of 23, 20, 15, 5 12s and 6 10s

I was at the Midland WB raffle as well. They sold their BTAC stuff to local restaurants and bars and only raffles off the Winkle stuff.

It was disappointing to me how many people's wife's, moms, sister-in-laws, etc won. That's pretty much all that won. In one instance a guy I knew got his whole extended family to sign up and go and basically had 10x the chance to win than me or any of my buddies. His sister-in-law won a bottle and immediately gave it to him. Oh well, guess I didn't game the system right.

What's funny about the Midland bourbon scene is 2 years ago I was on a 15 person list at Pinkies. Got a call for a Stagg, showed up to collect and asked how it went. They said they still had a bottle of THH, WLW and S18 that they went through their list and no one wanted them at all, so they sold me the THH as well as the GTS I was selected for. Now you can't find anything at all on the shelf. Hell they called me off the list a month ago for a 4R Small Batch Select like it was something special.

Same at Bryan. So many spouses and friends signed up for one person
Pitter Patter
Chipotlemonger
AG
Meh, If you can convince that many people to go with you (including female family members or friends) and actually give you the bottle that is won, more props to you.
AggieDad24
Absolutely. I was just salty I didn't think of it myself
Pitter Patter
Post removed:
by user
Fall92
AG
There was a lot of complaining again this year on the HBS FB page about how the WB raffles were rigged for tequila reps again.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
aggielostinETX
AG
Fall92 said:

There was a lot of complaining again this year on the HBS FB page about how the WB raffles were rigged for tequila reps again.

Those ****ers win again?

AggieKatie2 said:
Robert C. Christian
AG
third coast.. said:

That's a really poor person thing to do. You are telling me that noone in your family has anything better to do than go try and win a bottle of slightly above average bourbon? You are telling me that thos is the best thing an entire extended family of people can do? Buy a bottle of ORVW or lot b for 400 to 500 bucks and save everyone the trouble and hassle. Hell, get froggy and drop 950 for a pvw15.

I won the family spades tourney, I got to pick the family outing.
PearlandAg09
AG
Opened the bottle of Garrison Bros this PM and was quite disappointed. Thought it' was comparable to something at 1/3rd it's price point.

Interested to hear others opinions on it as of late.
AggieBarstool
Garrison Brothers is garbage at any price, including free.
PearlandAg09
AG
Thanks third coast. Bought it on a whim but safe to say it'll be tucked back for the buddies.
jetch17
AG
Westicles said:

RigsTx said:

MaroonBaboon said:

Gay. I've noticed in just my pass thrus there isn't much out of the ordinary, come across some EH Taylor from time to time. It's usually the Opals/buffalo nickel joints that have the higher end stuff and must get those allotments you mentioned - although if woodrows can keep popping off Blanton's and stuff to roughnecks for $30/pop they'll keep milkin it
agcrock2005
AG
It's trash. Cannot for the life of me figure out why people pay even $25 for that bottle. The premium confuses the hell out of me.
Westicles
AG
Yep, Buffalo Nickel, Opals and Blue Door got all WBs BTAC non-Pappy stuff.
DPlainview
AG
Technically, you are drinking a Gold Rush (although it's normally made with bourbon and not Rye). Definitely not a Hot Toddy, although it could technically be a version of one if you were drinking it warm.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/03/gold-rush-bourbon-honey-cocktail-drink-recipe.html
TamuKid
AG
Shot in the dark, anyone have Weller Full Proof they'd be willing to trade away in Austin/SA area?
PM, if so.
betadawg1
AG
Visiting family in Dallas. Walked into a liquor store that had 7 bottles of Blanton's, 7 Bottles of Weller 12, 6 bottles of Weller 107, & 4 bottles of Hancock on the shelf. All $149.99 each.

I wouldn't pay those prices but if anyone in CS wants me to mule something back I will for nothing more than my cost.
aggielostinETX
AG
Liquor Depot?

AggieKatie2 said:
betadawg1
AG
I was something different. About 10 minutes from the family. I might swing back and get some baby Saz, $23.99.
Vade281
AG
Just picked up a bottle of George t stagg from goody goody! 144 which is over MSRP but respectable. Yay for bourbon raffles.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
FTAco07
AG
If you don't mind sharing what store was it? I wouldn't pay that price for my own drinking, but I could pay it for a bottle of Weller 12 or Weller 107 as gifts for bourbon loving friends that would be much appreciated.
PearlandAg09
AG
Costco in Pearland Has about 10 bottles left of the 375 ML bottles for 16 bucks as of 10 mins ago. Behind the counter so you'll have to ask the clerk and only 1 bottle per, unless you're a better negotiator than I.

Sazerac
AG
Passing through Hondo and stopped at B & H spirits. They have Col EH Taylor, Four Roses single Barrell, and a bunch of specialty bottles on allocation. Better than the huge Total Wines in Houston
John Francis Donaghy
If anyone in the DFW area sees anything BTAC or Van Winkle on a store shelf, please let me know regardless of pricing. I know someone willing to pay up to full secondary for any of them as long as it's from a store and not a person-to-person sale.

Would be a retirement gift for an avid whiskey fan.
John Francis Donaghy
If anyone in the DFW area sees anything BTAC or Van Winkle on a store shelf, please let me know regardless of pricing. I know someone willing to pay up to full secondary for any of them as long as it's from a store and not a person-to-person sale.

John Francis Donaghy
Dp
showtime
AG
PM sent
V8Aggie
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Gas station liquor store on 45 in Corsicana has 3 bottles of GTS for $299. Well below secondary. Shoot me a PM exact location if you want.
boboguitar
AG
betadawg1 said:

Visiting family in Dallas. Walked into a liquor store that had 7 bottles of Blanton's, 7 Bottles of Weller 12, 6 bottles of Weller 107, & 4 bottles of Hancock on the shelf. All $149.99 each.

I wouldn't pay those prices but if anyone in CS wants me to mule something back I will for nothing more than my cost.
You had me in the first half.
RigsTx
AG
If anyone knows of a WLW available I'd be interested.

I've got some trade bait, but I'd also be willing to pay cash. Above retail but not full secondary.

Thanks!
AggieDad24
Liquor store in Caldwell has Weller 12 for 100 bucks
Pitter Patter
First Page Last Page
Page 403 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.