Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,863,930 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by trouble
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Specs on university in CS has a fire whistlepig barrel right now for 70ish cash price
AggieDad24
College Station
Pitter Patter
dmart90
AG
mazag08 said:

dmart90 said:

Picked a bottle of this recently:

https://www.westernspirits.com/sam-houston-bourbon

It's not bad - nice vanilla and oak nose and taste. Pretty good heat on the back end for a 98 proof bourbon. Definitely not worth $100 a bottle price, though...

Texas whiskeys are definitely bold in their pricing, but people buy it, so why would they stop?

We tried Garrison Brothers and Yellow Rose tonight. YR is actually a damn good drink. It holds up to other non age statement Kentucky straights fairly well. Price is high, but not crazy.

Garrison Brothers is fantastic on the nose, but then dives hard on the taste. Highly disappointing, and definitely not worth more than $25 - $30 at most in my opinion.
It's not a Texas Bourbon. It's distilled and aged in Bardstown and bottled in Bowling Green...
mazag08
AG
Yes, but they claim to be the first Texas distillery and claim that their product was forged under the Texas sun. Wherever it was actually made, it's just not worth even half of the price.. in my opinion.
austinag1997
AG
agcrock2005 said:

If Garrison Bros was $10 a bottle I'd still be waiting for a 90% discount before pulling the trigger.

New billboards in Austin state something like "Expensive, but worth every damn cent."

I used my bottle as lighter fluid.
Dig Doug
AG
Truly in shock of what my wife gave me for Christmas this year. Truly unbelievable......

dmart90
AG
mazag08 said:

Yes, but they claim to be the first Texas distillery and claim that their product was forged under the Texas sun. Wherever it was actually made, it's just not worth even half of the price.. in my opinion.

I agree it's not worth the price.
agcrock2005
AG
I can't see the images. What did you get?
tlfw378
AG
mazag08 said:

Sam Houston is sourced from Kentucky not Garrison Bros. Garrison Bros is made in Hye Texas from corn to cask. That doesn't change the flavor or cost being discussed, just clarifying the comment on what bourbon was being referenced.
MW03
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I can't see the images. What did you get?

Same here
Dig Doug
AG
Strange. Not sure what I did wrong.

She gave me a bottle of Pappy's 15 year Family Reserve along with Pappy's Family Reserve handmade cigars that are dipped in Pappy's.
Post removed:
by user
CactusThomas
AG
Aw the age old sherm vs pappy debate.
aggielostinETX
AG
Dig Doug said:

Strange. Not sure what I did wrong.

She gave me a bottle of Pappy's 15 year Family Reserve along with Pappy's Family Reserve handmade cigars that are dipped in Pappy's.

I can see them
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
tlfw378
AG
I can see them.
txag2008
AG
Big thanks to Sixdrakes for the opportunity to lay hands on some Blantons. Was great to meet you.

Got to enjoy a first glass on Christmas night. The diet DP really brings out the barrel character.

Calm down......just had to include it in the picture.
MW03
AG
Well played
V8Aggie
AG
txag2008 said:

Big thanks to Sixdrakes for the opportunity to lay hands on some Blantons. Was great to meet you.

Got to enjoy a first glass on Christmas night. The diet DP really brings out the barrel character.

Meh.... I prefer a splash of water with 5 cubes of ice.
tlfw378
AG
txag2008 said:

A headless jockey on a headless horse....brilliant!
CFTXAG10
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

The Specs on university in CS has a fire whistlepig barrel right now for 70ish cash price
I was enjoying some regular crown at a company xmas party with an open bar and was going for my third when I found out they ran out and had to go fetch some more upstairs. Lady asks what I would like instead or if I wanted to wait, she suggested WhistlePig. Never had it before. It was pretty damn good. Next time I make a run to TW or Specs I might have to pick some up.

Anyone with more knowledge on the brand know if one variety of WhistlePig is better than another?

FTAco07
AG
Avoid the Farmstock, otherwise everything else is good. I would say the 10 year is good but not great and it gets better from there.

One of the great things about Whistle Pig is since it's not caught up in the bourbon craze you can almost always find/buy it. Boss Hog, the top of their line, is not cheap, but it can he had without having to resort to the secondary market and it's as good of a rye as there is. I would say the sweet spot of price/quality is the 12 year, but your personal tastes may vary.
SpiderDude
AG
FTAco07 said:

Avoid the Farmstock, otherwise everything else is good. I would say the 10 year is good but not great and it gets better from there.

One of the great things about Whistle Pig is since it's not caught up in the bourbon craze you can almost always find/buy it. Boss Hog, the top of their line, is not cheap, but it can he had without having to resort to the secondary market and it's as good of a rye as there is. I would say the sweet spot of price/quality is the 12 year, but your personal tastes may vary.

Good advice. Agree that the 12 year is excellent without the significant price increase to the 15 or the Boss Hog. I love my 10 year barrel pick that's 117 proof tho.
jh0400
AG
Regular WP10 is solid but not great. There are some barrel picks out there that are great, including some 13 year MGP barrels that are sold under the WP10 label. Old World is really good, but I have a hard time paying $115 for a bottle of 86 proof rye. WP15 is really good as are the Boss Hoggs, but both are $$$$. I really want to try the 18. I passed on a bottle at retail the other day, but I'm hoping to find it in a bar one day soon.
CharlieBrown17
AG
WP10 single barrel picks are one of the best values in whiskey
tripperwill
AG
The 6 year whistle pig piggyback is great and half the price of their others. I don't think it's available in Texas just yet.
Farmer1906
AG
I must have had a bad batch then. I had a Specs store pick and thought it was extremely overpriced.
the dude10
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

WP10 single barrel picks are one of the best values in whiskey

I totally agree. I have had a store pick from twin that I thought was pretty good but not great, but a few of the specs picks have blown me away. Pretty fantastic stuff for like $3 more than the regular 10 year
SpiderDude
AG
I just grabbed a Woodford Reserve Chocolate Malted Rye. It was the only one they had (or got in) at TW Lakeline. Not sure if I want to hang on for trade or break it open. It fits well in my collection as I lean towards Rye. Anyone tried this one???

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/2019/11/18/why-woodford-reserves-chocolate-malted-rye-is-the-perfect-bourbon-lovers-gift/amp/
LPHA
AG
Finally found Nikka From the Barrel. Excited to try it out.
mcp2013
I have an extra bottle of Weller 12, anyone interested in swapping?
Pigtails
AG
I'm interested. Trade or buy?
mcp2013
Shoot me an email at mcp_2013@outlook.com, prefer to trade.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I must have had a bad batch then. I had a Specs store pick and thought it was extremely overpriced.

Compared to what?

There isn't another 10 yr, barrel proof rye on the market for 70 bucks.

For the price, ECBP and WP10 picks are my choice everyday
V8Aggie
AG
What would you guys suggest as the best easily obtainable rye?

I recently tried MWND and a 7 year willet and LOVED them!
First Page Last Page
Page 401 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.