Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,613 Views | 38372 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by lazuras_dc
CrottyKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah. The 80 proof is why I didn't pull the trigger.
Jimmy_the_gent
AG
101 has been on sale for $17.99 at the Spec's in College Station. Their running the special untiil 12/31. Very reasonable price given the flavor and the proof.
showtime
AG
Got to where I kept my flask filled with 101 during grad school and law school. To this day I keep a stash of airplane bottles of 101. Great bang for the buck. Also a fan of OGD 114 for the same reason.
Fall92
AG
OGD114.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
SpiderDude
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

CrottyKid said:

What's the consensus on Basil Hayden's 10yr?

40% decent ten year old bourbon, 60% unaged water

I know what you're getting at but I don't think that's entirely fair. Sure, it's proofed down to 80 but it's still a good pour and always an approachable bourbon for noobs.
SpiderDude
AG
Love Wild Turkey. Love RR... especially SB picks at 110. Love Rare Breed. Fixing to love me some Cornerstone Rye for Christmas! Hell...I challenge anyone here to blind taste test Rare Breed with other more sought after bottles. Including GTS, ECBP, etc. Rare Breed wil hold up to any of 'em. I'm not saying it beats them outright but for $50 it's yours any day you walk into the store.
Broncos
Bib and Tucker. Good stuff.
SpiderDude
AG
Meh. Granted I only had it at a tasting but it didn't knock my socks off. Maybe at a higher age or proof it shows better.
SpiderDude
AG
Did a bit of hunting on my Christmas Eve lunch break (yes, I'm working today). Walked away with a handle of Weller 12 from OLC and Booker's Country Ham from Twin. Would have bought the Booker's at OLC also but 2019-3 was the only one they didn't have.
GarlandAg2012
AG
There's pretty much 0 chance of getting a bottle of midwinter's night dram at this point in D/FW correct?
SpiderDude
AG
Probably not.
GarlandAg2012
AG
SpiderDude said:

Probably not.

That's a bummer. Maybe next year.

In other news, I made the bourbon milk punch and it's delish.

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals!
TamuKid
AG
Picked up a store pick 1792 Full Proof and store pick Buffalo Trace from Specs in SA. Asked if they had anything else when checking out and was able to grab a Baby Blantons and a Weller 12. Also grabbed a Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream from Total Wine. Not a bad Xmas Eve!!
PearlandAg09
AG

Local Costco always has a small but high quality selection for those in Houston/Pearland.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
80s-era Old Fashioned.

1986 Old Taylor and early 80s Angostura bitters

Ducks4brkfast
AG
Old Angostura vs a new bottle

austinag1997
AG
Bought a GTS for $119. Made my day.
GarlandAg2012
AG
austinag1997 said:

Where'd you score that??
MW03
AG
austinag1997 said:

CharlieBrown17
AG
austinag1997 said:

There may or may not have been one bought in CS for 97 plus tax today
trouble
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

austinag1997 said:

There may or may not have been one bought in CS for 97 plus tax today

I may or may not have sampled that one.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
Wasn't lucky enough to come across some GTS but grabbed a bottle of OF1910 at the Specs on Harvey and Dickel BiB at the Specs on University. Gonna try out the 1910 tonight.
MW03
AG
Wrapping up wrapping with a pour of WP15. Long day.
SweaterVest
AG
OF 1910 is great stuff. IMO the best and most flavorful bourbon in its proof range.
TXAG 05
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

If anyone does come across Blanton's anywhere I would love to give it a try. It's really hard to come by in College Station unless you're high ranked on a list.

No bars have it on hand to have a drink?
TamuKid
AG
I personally don't like doing a bourbon tasting at a bar. Too loud, busy, and generally distracting to really enjoy a pour of new stuff for me.
Chipotlemonger
AG
My brother opened this yesterday for Christmas. It is great! He's bigger into the bourbon scene than I am.

dmart90
AG
Picked a bottle of this recently:

https://www.westernspirits.com/sam-houston-bourbon

It's not bad - nice vanilla and oak nose and taste. Pretty good heat on the back end for a 98 proof bourbon. Definitely not worth $100 a bottle price, though...
mazag08
AG
This year we had our 10th annual family whiskey tasting. We started doing this a decade ago, though it was nothing like what it is now. It was mostly stuff from my dads (class of 69) collection, which was mostly stuff you can't find now, and if you can, it's 10x what we bought it for. My dad even has Pappy, Old Rip Van Winkle, various Wellers, and Orphan Barrell 25.. all unopened at home, all purchased for less than $100 each long before the whiskey craze.

Retired from our tasting is Eagle Rare 17, Elijah Craig 18, Elijah Craig 12, and a handful of forgettable bottles of random stuff my dad would always bring out. The Eagle Rare 17 and EJ 18 are very much missed. Those are both up there with the best of the best in my opinion.

This year was the most we've ever done. Every person participated in providing this year, so we had 29 (I think) offerings.

Based on table consensus of myself, my father, my brother, my father in law, my uncle, and 1 non family member (who routinely participates but still doesn't "get" whiskey)..

The top 3:
Blantons
Weller 12
Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 21

The next 3:
Willet
Old Forrester Statesman (surprised us all.. very underrated)
Four Roses Single Barrel

Honorable Mention:
Pritchard's Double Barrel
Elijah Craig Small Batch (doesn't compare to the age statements, but still very good)
Knob Creek Single Barrel (way better than standard KC).

I'm now sitting here with a glass of Red Spot as my nightcap. What a night. Merry Christmas everyone.

mazag08
AG
dmart90 said:

Picked a bottle of this recently:

https://www.westernspirits.com/sam-houston-bourbon

It's not bad - nice vanilla and oak nose and taste. Pretty good heat on the back end for a 98 proof bourbon. Definitely not worth $100 a bottle price, though...

Texas whiskeys are definitely bold in their pricing, but people buy it, so why would they stop?

We tried Garrison Brothers and Yellow Rose tonight. YR is actually a damn good drink. It holds up to other non age statement Kentucky straights fairly well. Price is high, but not crazy.

Garrison Brothers is fantastic on the nose, but then dives hard on the taste. Highly disappointing, and definitely not worth more than $25 - $30 at most in my opinion.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Sounds like a great time. I've been sitting on a bottle of OB Rhetoric 21 for awhile ... may have to enjoy it to bring in the new decade.
agcrock2005
AG
If Garrison Bros was $10 a bottle I'd still be waiting for a 90% discount before pulling the trigger.
mazag08
AG
cjaetzold said:

Sounds like a great time. I've been sitting on a bottle of OB Rhetoric 21 for awhile ... may have to enjoy it to bring in the new decade.

It's amazing. It's not as smooth as you would expect a 21 year old to be, but in the words of my father in law with wide eyes.. "my last sip was two minutes ago and I'm still tasting it".

The flavor is next level.
AggieDad24
Single dad with 2 young ones. Only drinking I really do is at home
Pitter Patter
tripperwill
AG
Where are you located?
First Page Last Page
Page 400 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.