Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,839,160 Views | 38430 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by AgCzar
FriedTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those who like it on the rocks? What's the appeal?

To me it makes all bourbon taste the same and lose its flavor profile - am I wrong?
Fall92
AG
I actually think it both opens it up a little and mutes some of the overwhelming alcohol smell, especially on the barrel proofs.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
TamuKid
AG
Add room temp water to higher proof bourbons if you're getting your butt whooped by the ABV.
To me, ice/stones/etc takes away a lot of the flavor due to the temperature. I've read that you taste things best at room temperature.
Sixdrakes
AG
It's a decent pour. I like it a lot more than Chapter 2 and need to compare it to Chapter 1 to see which I prefer better. I got mine for $113 and probably wouldn't spend more than $120 if I wanted to buy a backup.
tripperwill
AG
That works both ways. Some taste better cooler, others better at room temp. I've even found that to be the case between different single barrels of the same brand.
aggielostinETX
AG
Sixdrakes said:

It's a decent pour. I like it a lot more than Chapter 2 and need to compare it to Chapter 1 to see which I prefer better. I got mine for $113 and probably wouldn't spend more than $120 if I wanted to buy a backup.

Bought one last night
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
schwack schwack
AG
This is a weird year for us. Parents wanted to do it at their house, invited people then decided we have to make & bring gumbo. Ok. Whatever. All y'alls menus sound better.

edit - whoops - supposed to be on the Christmas menu thread. To make it bourbon related, we are going to take a big bottle of pre-mixed old fashioneds .
Sixdrakes
AG
***** BLANTONS *****

I started to follow this thread a few years ago when I didn't know a damn thing about bourbon. I bought my first few bottles based on bourbons that were routinely mentioned in this thread. They were OGD 114 and Basil Haydens. I can still remember the day I found my first bottle of Blantons and W12 in the wild, after months of hunting and routinely being told no. It was a small victory in the game of bourbon hunting. Those bottles ultimately kick started me into my bourbon hobby. I'd like to share some of the bourbon karma I've enjoyed over the past year. I'm offering a bottle of Blantons at my cost ($70) to a fellow Ag who hasn't been able to find one. Again, I want it to go to someone who hasn't been able to purchase one. The only caveat is you have to meet me in the Katy area, preferably tomorrow or midday Tuesday.

The first person that responds and meets the criteria mentioned above gets it.
AggieDad24
Ag by marriage and if nobody else takes you up I'll be down picking up my Texas Bowl Tix tomorrow
Pitter Patter
Sixdrakes
AG
I'm going to hold out for an Aggie graduate for now. I'll circle back if I get no takers.
AggieDad24
Understand and thanks
Pitter Patter
txag2008
AG
Really cool of you.

Long time lurker, never post cause I don't come across anything great. I'd be glad to take it off your hands.
Sixdrakes
AG
txag2008 said:

Really cool of you.

Long time lurker, never post cause I don't come across anything great. I'd be glad to take it off your hands.
You've never purchased one before and you can meet me in the Katy area?
txag2008
AG
Never tried or purchased. Actually live in Dallas but make the drive down to West Houston tomorrow for the break.
Sixdrakes
AG
Got it
AggieDad24
If anyone does come across Blanton's anywhere I would love to give it a try. It's really hard to come by in College Station unless you're high ranked on a list.
Pitter Patter
schwack schwack
AG
gigemJTH12 on the page before this one has been looking.
RaylanGivens
I only add ice to those bourbons 100 proof and above that need it to mellow their fiery nature.
K-Bob
AG
I have been on the prowl for a bottle (at MSRP) for 4 years now. I refuse to buy at places who jack up the prices because I also enjoy the hunt.

I frequent my neighborhood specs where they help me get a bottle of ER everynow and then.

I will gladly take it if it is still available.

Good bull! And a great little Christmas present for the person who gets it.
Sixdrakes
AG
K-Bob said:

I have been on the prowl for a bottle (at MSRP) for 4 years now. I refuse to buy at places who jack up the prices because I also enjoy the hunt.

I frequent my neighborhood specs where they help me get a bottle of ER everynow and then.

I will gladly take it if it is still available.

Good bull! And a great little Christmas present for the person who gets it.
txag2008 beat you to it. If for some reason it doesn't work out, I will circle back to you.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Dont add ice to your whiskey unless you're adding bitters as well
Sazerac
AG
Wait, you guys are actually drinking these bottles??
John Francis Donaghy
cclearman said:

Yeah. That's kinda the whole point.
CrottyKid
AG
What's the consensus on Basil Hayden's 10yr?
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

You betcha. And enjoying every drop.
Txmoe
AG
Wild Turkey 101

I finally tried some because the Whiskey Tribe guys have been talking it up. It's surprisingly good for the price point.
Post removed:
by user
AggieBarstool
Not sure if you're a troll or genuinely serious.

Whiskey is meant to be consumed. Even if it's rare/expensive/allocated/hard-to-find -- whiskey doesn't do anyone a bit of good collecting dust on a shelf. When it does, we get... well... we get a thread full of "Where can I find such-and-such bottle?" and "OMG, you found a bottle at retail?!??!"
tlfw378
AG
What a generous gift. I've traveled 3 states looking for Blanton's for the wife. I was actually traveling on a deer hunting trip and added a bourbon hunt to the hit list. Many, many stores later I only came away with some Eagle Rare. I must have been in 50 liquor store in the week.
RK
AG
101 is straight gasoline.
tlfw378
AG
I will have 101 on my shelf always available for a pour. I enjoy the profile, I like rare breed as well.
RK
AG
if i have 101, it's going to be accompanied by a budweiser and camel light.

rare breed is good.
CactusThomas
AG
I love wt 101.

But I also like Budweiser and camels.
tlfw378
AG
The beauty of bourbon, is there are a 1000 different profiles out there. Drink it how you like it, and drink what you like.
CharlieBrown17
AG
CrottyKid said:

What's the consensus on Basil Hayden's 10yr?

40% decent ten year old bourbon, 60% unaged water
First Page Last Page
Page 399 of 1099

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.