Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,022 Views | 37590 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by betadawg1
AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Whisky Exchange in London (UK) has ER17 on hand, I will be opening my bottle in about 30 minutes if anyone is in town, picked it up for 90 pounds sterling on Wednesday.
Atty_Ag
aggiejue,

They got 12 and were all spoken for. My name is on the list if they don't get all the takers. If they call me, I will buy it and make arrangements with you.
Aggiejue
AG
Sound good and I appreciate it.
rolling_ridgeag05
Just picked up a PVW at the Specs off I45 and Louetta. Couple more in the back but they were limiting the number you could buy.
tx4guns
AG
Lucky.
ka
Just called the specs on Louetta. They claim not to have it. You just messing with us?
FlyFish95
quote:
ka6:31p

Just called the specs on Louetta. They claim not to have it. You just messing with us?

Welcome to the world of dealing with Specs.
FlyFish95
quote:
ka6:31p

Welcome to the world of dealing with Specs.
austinag1997
AG
Bingo!
ElGatoBill
AG
FlyFish95
Let me give you guys yet another reason why I don't like Specs. I just called the Specs down in Clear Lake inquiring about Pappy and BTAC. Word for word, this is what they told me:

"You can't find that anywhere in the United States. None of our stores have it."

Now he's either completely clueless or he's laying, either way...
Quantum ace
AG
I understand giving priority to people who actually come into the store over people who call, but I sometimes I can't spend the entire day driving around to check each store in my rotation multiple times.

Specs used to encourage people to call to check availability. Some of their employees expressed a clear desire for you to call and check, instead of going in to waste their damn time asking about crap. For them to switch to flat out lying to callers is just BS.

[This message has been edited by Quantum ace (edited 11/18/2013 3:01p).]
'03ag
I wonder if they're afraid someone will out up the bat signal via social media or something, then have a bunch of angry people in store. otherwise it seems reasonable to tell people we have some RIGHT NOW but we can't golf it for you.

I don't really have the will to run all over town anyway. I pop into places every 2-3 months and browse, so I haven't built up any kind of reputation at a particular store.

bad thing is we're closing on a house in 4 weeks and the wife and I are on a strict no luxury item budget. all this stuff will for sure be gone by then. sucks because I'm a big fan of Four Roses Single Barrel. would really like some of that 125the anniversary.

[This message has been edited by '03ag (edited 11/18/2013 3:15p).]
tx4guns
AG
Clear Lake Specs is the worst I've been to for bourbon. The smaller stores all have a better selection. I'm pretty much done with them if I'm looking for something special.
ElGatoBill
AG
'03ag
the 125th small batch.

I recall seeing plenty of the single barrel. best value in Bourbon in my opinion.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Let me give you guys yet another reason why I don't like Specs. I just called the Specs down in Clear Lake inquiring about Pappy and BTAC. Word for word, this is what they told me:

"You can't find that anywhere in the United States. None of our stores have it."

Now he's either completely clueless or he's laying, either way...

I think there is a lot of intentional misinformation being provided (I guess you call that lying). Late last week I know there were 9 bottles of WLW at the Smith Street location. I called and talked to the Spirits guy and he said "my management told me we are sold out". Intentional misinformation.

Really sick of dealing with Specs. If they are holding bottles for preferred customers... just tell us that. I really wouldn't have a problem with that.
tx4guns
AG
Their database is never accurate. Don't trust it. There is a waiting list downtown, so they may be showing stuff in stock, but they are holding it.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
the 125th small batch.

I recall seeing plenty of the single barrel. best value in Bourbon in my opinion.

if you are in houston, try the specs at 290 and jones. They had some small batch in last week, but dont know if it was the 125th or just a regular small batch.
austinag1997
AG
tx4guns,

I thought about that. In that case, the database is accurate... just doesn't represent availability.
FlyFish95
Plainly stated, Specs is a giant cluster $&@#!

I found a bottle of GTS at the location by my house on 762 and 59. I called there not too long ago checking to see if they got any Pappy and they told me the only location that gets Pappy is Downtown. Of course, we all know that's a lie. Over the last couple of weeks I've heard the following responses from various locations:

1. It's not sold in America.
2. Only the Downtown location gets Pappy.
3. Only the bigger Specs store gets Pappy.
4. We didn't get any (I know for a fact that location did).
5. We didn't any and after this year Specs won't get any for 20 years.
6. Pappy Van Winkle? Never heard of it.

TxKng82
AG
Yeah I was wondering the same thing about their inventory on the computer. Stopped by 290/Jones when Stagg came out and I know they had two bottles and the computer showed the same. Guy said they had just sold out of them though. No idea if sold meant his two "sold" were held or actually sold out the door because he also mentioned the got WLW that morning but it was gone already.
joshwayne330
Specs computer inventory is updated at the end of the day, not a real time inventory.
FarmersFightAg
AG
Dryfly. That store at 59 and 762 didn't get any Van Winkle. They may have received one case of George Stagg 3 weeks ago. But that's it. No other btacs
FarmersFightAg
AG
And to add to the amusement, approximately 5 Specs stores in the Houston area receive Van Winkles. So the statement that Van Winkle only appears at larger stores is really not exaggerated
joshwayne330
I know of 3 other Houston Specs stores besides Smith Street stores that got VW. Very small quantities, 3 or 6 bottles total. I ready for Pappy season to be over and get back to drinking bourbon.

I will say this years ORVW10 is pretty nice. The nose is like Pappy 15's little step brother, but the bourbon is still a little tight. Needs some air time to open up and loosen up the rough edges.
FlyFish95
quote:
Dryfly. That store at 59 and 762 didn't get any Van Winkle. They may have received one case of George Stagg 3 weeks ago. But that's it. No other btac

I'm pretty sure they didn't, but a "smaller" Specs store not too far away did.
FarmersFightAg
AG
What location is the smaller store?
FlyFish95
Hwy 6 a little south of 59.
austinag1997
AG
I used to live in SL... my recollection is that is a pretty decent sized Spec's.

[This message has been edited by austinag1997 (edited 11/19/2013 4:55a).]
agmatt06
AG
Four Roses Single Barrel and Small batch are pretty common at the normal size Specs.

Haven't seen the 125 yet at the specs off of Voss or downtown. I'm headed to the Kingwood area this Friday and will try and see what is around there.
aggiemike89
AG
I will say this years ORVW10 is pretty nice. The nose is like Pappy 15's little step brother, but the bourbon is still a little tight. Needs some air time to open up and loosen up the rough edges.

Hey joshwayne, are they not bottling anymore of the 90 proof ORVW 10? Is it all going to be the 107 proof?
proudaggie02
AG
Anyone interested in a bottle of Stagg Jr., either as a trade or for purchase?

ALso, has anyone had it & care to give a review?
FlyFish95
The Stagg Jr bottle I have is 142 proof or something close to that so it's pretty hot right out of the bottle. It's got a great nose and is full of flavor. Tons of caramel, vanilla, cinnamon, etc. I find it works best one of two ways:

1. Neat if you're taking small sips and really trying to focus on the flavor. Bigger swigs are too much for me because of the alcohol content.

2. Put a cube of ice in the glass and let it sit for a few minutes before tasting.
Aggiejue
AG
I'm still searching for a 125th 4 Roses if anyone wants to unload a bottle. I have located the LE Single Barrel but the search continues for a 125th. My email is in my profile.
First Page Last Page
Page 39 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.