Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,867,519 Views | 38679 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Aggie Therapist
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schwack schwack said:

Speaking of the 4th - this is a kick ass slush recipe. It's now a tradition at the lake - even the non-drinkers usually have a little.

3 cups of bourbon
24 oz frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
12 oz frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
4 cups strong brewed tea

In a 1.5 gallon pitcher mix the above. Stir in 3 quarts water. Place in freezer. Stir after 8 hours & occasionally after that. (the alcohol will pool in the middle with the watery stuff freezing on the outside - keep it stirred & slushy)

We usually start a couple of days out & use a restaurant supply container to do this & it works great. We leave ours in the freezer & use a metal scoop/measuring cup for people to self serve.

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/cambro-8sfspp190

I wonder if that is the same recipe that Moonshine in Austin uses?! They have a Bourbon Slush that lists bourbon, sweet tea, lemonade, orange juice as ingredients.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Moonshine in Austin
All I heard was "corndog shrimp" when I read this...
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I wonder if that is the same recipe that Moonshine in Austin uses?! They have a Bourbon Slush that lists bourbon, sweet tea, lemonade, orange juice as ingredients.

Never been there but sounds close - I don't use sweet tea though.
SpiderDude
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

Moonshine in Austin
All I heard was "corndog shrimp" when I read this...
aad03
AG
austinag1997 said:

aad03 said:

I'd take Beam's bourbon over anything Buffalo Trace is making.

I don't like any rickhouse going up in flames. The scent inside any rickhouse is unlike any one could describe. But your statement is a bit questionable. Lets just mention that BT distills and bottles like GTS and THH. Not to mention many others. Sorry, just simply disagree.

I'm aware of what is distilled at BT. Done the tour 5 or 6 times. I like the bourbons that Beam, Wild Turkey, and Four Roses are putting out much more than any of the lines distilled at Buffalo Trace. People camping out to score a bottle of Weller is a bit questionable.

ETA: I'm not a fan of any wheated bourbons.
Class of '03
RaylanGivens
My Uncle used to say, "Son, that's why they make Fords and Chevrolets"
MW03
AG
Is there a better bang for your buck than Old Grandad BiB?
CactusThomas
AG
I don't know, what's a 1.75 of WT101 cost these days?
CactusThomas
AG
Its immature 80 proof crap, but HH is a good buy at $11 for a full 1L.
jh0400
AG
I like EW BiB for the price.
FriedTex
AG
Easily the best budget bourbon out there
John Francis Donaghy
A other vote for EW BiB. Keep a 1.75 on hand at all times for daily sipping and bourbon based cocktails.
MW03
AG
FriedTex said:

Yes sir, Friday and Sunday

How were the shows? We saw them there 4 years ago and it was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had.
Fall92
AG
MW03 said:

Is there a better bang for your buck than Old Grandad BiB?
OGD114? It's around $21-22. Both are great values.
Fall92
AG
Btw had some OGd BiB followed by Old Ezra 7 tonight and I thought the former was much better.
agcrock2005
AG
Just got a Blanton's Special Reserve for $100 online because the box was damaged and a tiny piece of wax is missing. I'll take that. The box is going in the trash any way. Have seen these going for as much as $200 lately which is crazy. I don't really like regular blantons but I like the special reserve a lot.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Just got a Blanton's Special Reserve for $100 online because the box was damaged and a tiny piece of wax is missing. I'll take that. The box is going in the trash any way. Have seen these going for as much as $200 lately which is crazy. I don't really like regular blantons but I like the special reserve a lot.

Not hating but you paid a premium for a lower proof, smaller bottle of regular single barrel?

You prefer 80 proof over the 90, and others?
FriedTex
AG
Red Rocks as a venue was as good as advertised. The setup is almost surreal as you journey up to the amphitheater and sound quality there is amazing. Some outdoor venues can be a little suspect, but this is not at all. I don't know if its the altitude or we tailgated longer than I anticipated, but the bourbon got to me a bit on night one - it was a great night for me, I think my wife would have liked me toned down about 25% more

On top of that it was the Avett Brothers and they rocked it all three nights. Night two was special because they sang the album "I and Love and You" straight through in the middle of their set. Night Three felt like more of an insider/family night as they had their dad come up and sing one of his songs and had a bit of a more mellow feeling to it - they covered Randy Travis "Forever and Ever Amen" and that was a lot of fun.

First time I have seen the same band three nights in a row, but they did an awesome job changing up the sets and making each night feel unique. We will totally be back there again!
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I do. Don't like the higher proof bourbons much at all. I really dislike Blantons SFTB (sorry Deats). I know I paid a premium but I haven't seen that product on the shelf in 3 years so it was well worth it for me. I've seen some go for over $150.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

I do. Don't like the higher proof bourbons much at all. I really dislike Blantons SFTB (sorry Deats). I know I paid a premium but I haven't seen that product on the shelf in 3 years so it was well worth it for me. I've seen some go for over $150.

Where did you see it on the shelf
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Where did you see it on the shel
Not sure if serious or not. I haven't. Got into bourbon about 3 years ago after a trip to Louisville and have never seen any Blanton's other than the regular on the shelf, and that's become incredibly rare.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I thought you saw it in the shelf three years ago. And was curious cause you shouldn't ever see it on the shelf.
aggielostinETX
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

I much more prefer the gold to the SFTB.

Supposed to be thumbs up
Federale01
AG
Where do you find the Gold? I have only been able to find one or two online and have it shipped to me from overseas.
aggielostinETX
AG
Federale01 said:

Where do you find the Gold? I have only been able to find one or two online and have it shipped to me from overseas.

I was ordering by the case but most places stopped shopping. I also bought some in London.
RaylanGivens
Getting it shipped to the US now, is pretty much no bueno. Gold and SFTB
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I much more prefer the gold to the SFTB.
Ahh. My bad. I was thinking you loved the SFTB but makes sense since I bought a Gold from you a couple years ago in Dallas.
fatherof4
Long time reader. Enjoy all of the information, thanks to everyone for sharing yout knowledge. Ive been a bookers drinker, but cant find any in the north Dallas area. Is this the new reality for bookers? Or am I just looking in the wrong spot? Anything comperable to bookers that yall would recommend? Thanks in advance.
RaylanGivens
Try Knob Creek Single Barrel. Same Distillery, 2 years older, about $20 less
BeardofZeus01
AG
RaylanGivens said:

Try Knob Creek Single Barrel. Same Distillery, 2 years older, about $20 less

No ... don't try KC SB ... keep hunting Bookers ...
RenoAg
Might consider makers mark cask strength if you are looking for a similar higher proof bourbon.
fatherof4
Thank you for the suggestions.
SpiderDude
AG
Thoughts on Henry McKenna 10 Year BiB? I just picked up my first bottle yesterday. It's definitely got a little heat on the finish. Bit of almond on the nose for me. Tons of positive reviews and it's cleaned up at some competitions. I'm a fan!

Farmer1906
AG
A lot love it. Its not for me. However, I may need to revisit.
KVB07
AG
I think people "love it" because it won some high award (maybe San Fran?) and immediately everyone it was the best everyone has ever had. Literally one week the shelf was full, and the next you couldn't find it anywhere.
First Page Last Page
Page 377 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.