Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,366 Views | 38371 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
RaylanGivens
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Loved it at $30 a bottle
AlaskanAg99
AG
KVB07 said:

I think people "love it" because it won some high award (maybe San Fran?) and immediately everyone it was the best everyone has ever had. Literally one week the shelf was full, and the next you couldn't find it anywhere.

Those "awards" are completely fake. Bought and paid for for advertising purposes.
FlyFish95
KVB07 said:

I think people "love it" because it won some high award (maybe San Fran?) and immediately everyone it was the best everyone has ever had. Literally one week the shelf was full, and the next you couldn't find it anywhere.

You literally just summed up the entire state of this ridiculous bourbon craze for the past 10 years or so. I'm absolutely astounded at the lengths people will go and the amount of money they'll spend to acquire garden variety sh*t that was sitting on the shelves collecting dust 10 years ago.
boboguitar
AG
It's amazing the lengths people will go to feel superior to others.
SpiderDude
AG
RaylanGivens said:

Loved it at $30 a bottle

I paid like $36 at Twin Liquor. They had it in stock the first store I tried...albeit in a stash in the back that the clerk had to call the manager to ask about. I'm not saying it's the best bourbon I've every had but it's still a value in the $30's. Is comparable to Eagle Rare I'd say (which is also a 10 year bourbon).
SpiderDude
AG
KVB07 said:

You could say the same about BT. A few critics put their whiskeys up there on a pedestal and everyone came running. It is what it is.
Credible Source
AG
SpiderDude said:

KVB07 said:

You could say the same about BT. A few critics put their whiskeys up there on a pedestal and everyone came running. It is what it is.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I only drink tripple gold spirits.

Pinkies out!
MW03
AG
Of the bourbon craze bottles I've purchased, the only one that really stood up to the hype for me was Willet 4 Year Rye. Well, that and GTS, but I got that by accident about 5 years ago when I saw it on the shelf for msrp. Same for the Willet.
SpiderDude
AG
When are we getting together to drink bourbon amigo?!
Credible Source
AG
You tell me broseph! How's the weekend of the 31st look to you?
FlyFish95
boboguitar said:

It's amazing the lengths people will go to feel superior to others.
I guess that was directed at me? I don't feel superior to anyone. I do find it quite comical that folks are paying crazy money for something like ETL or Weller 12 and then spiking the football when they get a bottle like they just bought the Mona Lisa at a garage sale for $12.
aad03
AG
I stand with Gig 95. There are bourbons sitting on the shelf right now for $50 that are FAR superior to most of these bourbons that are being allocated. There's this idea that anything put out by Buffalo Trace is the next best thing to Pappy. The real "Poor Man's Pappy" is Kentucky Tavern.
Class of '03
LPHA
AG
Wanna share with the class? I don't think this is some sort of competition. We all like bourbon, and good bourbon even more.
FriedTex
AG
BS, WLW is far and above the finest bourbon I've ever tasted. It's a privilege every time I have a sip. Now is Angels Envy Cast Strength better than 1792 Full Proof? I doubt it. But WLW and GTS or an old sourced Willet Family Reserve Bourbon are on another level.
Fall92
AG
To answer LPHA's question, for starters OGd114, ER (can still find), EC and WT Rare Breed. And I think EW Single Barrel is outstanding as well.
aad03
AG
Rare Breed is the most underrated bourbon I can think of. In my opinion, it's everything a bourbon should be. I like high proof and heavy char. Rye, not wheat. Knob Creek Single Barrel is great, as are Old Forester 1910 and 1920, though I've noticed the price creeping up a bit on those. WT Russell's Reserve is also fantastic. I like Blanton's, but I don't miss it.
Class of '03
Fall92
AG
I think OF1920 is one of the best shelf bourbons out there. I would have added it but for it being north of $50.
aad03
AG
Yeah, I think I paid right at $50 for the 1920.
Class of '03
CactusThomas
AG
aad03 said:

Rare Breed is the most underrated bourbon I can think of. In my opinion, it's everything a bourbon should be.

Spot on.
CactusThomas
AG
Looking forward to 13 year Bakers coming out.
SpiderDude
AG
CactusThomas said:

aad03 said:

Rare Breed is the most underrated bourbon I can think of. In my opinion, it's everything a bourbon should be.

Spot on.

He's not wrong. I've heard that due to Longbranch production they've been putting some older juice in Rare Breed too.
CactusThomas
AG
Question

What's the deal with Elmer T Lee? Am I correct in that its the same mashbill as blanton's? So two single barrel bourbons with no age statement from the same mashbill at similar proofs but ETL is roughly half the msrp.

Is ETL Blanton's rejects? Significantly younger? It doesn't taste young.
SpiderDude
AG
CactusThomas said:

Question

What's the deal with Elmer T Lee? Am I correct in that its the same mashbill as blanton's? So two single barrel bourbons with no age statement from the same mashbill at similar proofs but ETL is roughly half the msrp.

Is ETL Blanton's rejects? Significantly younger? It doesn't taste young.

Probably just aged in a different rickhouse or different part of the same rickhouse. Possibly different barrel char. Other than that it's the same.

Here, you're welcome

CactusThomas
AG
Guess the horse stopper is what you're paying for. I need to do a side by side taste test.
SpiderDude
AG
CactusThomas said:

Guess the horse stopper is what you're paying for. I need to do a side by side taste test.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/04/7-single-barrel-bourbons.html
Fall92
AG
That article has a pic of. Blanton's Gold.
aggiecouch
Sooo do you guys keep a bunch of bottles open for sampling, or do you try and keep only 1-3 open at a time to prevent aging? Any bad experiences to learn from or tips to keep stuff good for longer? I've read online that whiskey only keeps for 1-2 years after opening, but if anyone has any anecdotal evidence I'm all ears.
Credible Source
AG
I open good bottles and drink them when I feel like it, don't hoard them and keep them forever, it's just whiskey, enjoy it
aggiecouch
That's been my approach up till now, just wondering if I've dug myself into a hole by opening and taking a single pour from a bunch of stuff
John Francis Donaghy
I fell into the trap of hoarding for a while. Working on breaking that habit now. Whiskey doesn't do anyone any good sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Open them and enioy. Life is full of small miracles and milestones you can celebrate. I try to open every new bottle shortly after I buy it now to avoid "saving" it for a special occasion that may or may not ever come. Drink your whiskey and celebrate another day above ground.
John Francis Donaghy
aggiecouch said:

That's been my approach up till now, just wondering if I've dug myself into a hole by opening and taking a single pour from a bunch of stuff

They will start to go downhill eventually, especially once the bottle gets under 1/2 full because there will be so much air in the bottle with the whiskey that's left. But it takes a long time to get to that point. If you do get to that point with a bottle of something special, just have some friends over and share before it gets too far downhill. But really, I wouldnt worry about it.
aggiecouch
Thanks for the insight
Trinity Ag
S
aggiecouch said:

Sooo do you guys keep a bunch of bottles open for sampling, or do you try and keep only 1-3 open at a time to prevent aging? Any bad experiences to learn from or tips to keep stuff good for longer? I've read online that whiskey only keeps for 1-2 years after opening, but if anyone has any anecdotal evidence I'm all ears.
I like to sample -- so I tend to have a lot of open bottles, and hate to finish them off, because I like a wide variety available. I don't hoard things -- everything I have is open.

I've got a half a dozen that are down to the bottom fifth because they are bottles they you can't routinely find -- and I'll have a taste occasionally.

I doubt I have a palate capable of discerning deterioration in a 2 year old open bottle of Weller 12.
aad03
AG
SpiderDude said:

CactusThomas said:

aad03 said:

Spot on.

He's not wrong. I've heard that due to Longbranch production they've been putting some older juice in Rare Breed too.

I went to a fancy whiskey dinner at Brenner's a few years ago, hosted by Bruce Russell, Eddie's son. I talked to him for a few minutes after dinner. He told me that him and Eddie's go-to is the Russell's Reserve, but grampa Jimmy's daily pour is Rare Breed.
Class of '03
First Page Last Page
Page 378 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.