Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,858 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by ryeguy
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have both. I usually use the Russell's in cocktails (especially Stockyard Pony which I make often) and the RB straight in a Glencairn. I'm gonna upgrade to the RRSB next time tho. A little more $$$ but higher proof so it's worth it imo.
reveille23
Russel's SiB is outstanding juice! I have a few barrel picks that I constantly choose over all the other stuff I have opened. Always on the hunt for new picks and I get two at a time so that I won't run out too quickly.
SouthernRaisedYankee
Need a take bourbon board, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel for 60, good buy?
Fall92
AG
reveille23 said:

Russel's SiB is outstanding juice! I have a few barrel picks that I constantly choose over all the other stuff I have opened. Always on the hunt for new picks and I get two at a time so that I won't run out too quickly.

My comment was that is one bourbon where the store picks are much, much better than the regular bottle.
austinag1997
AG
aad03 said:

austinag1997 said:

aad03 said:

I'd take Beam's bourbon over anything Buffalo Trace is making.

I don't like any rickhouse going up in flames. The scent inside any rickhouse is unlike any one could describe. But your statement is a bit questionable. Lets just mention that BT distills and bottles like GTS and THH. Not to mention many others. Sorry, just simply disagree.

I'm aware of what is distilled at BT. Done the tour 5 or 6 times. I like the bourbons that Beam, Wild Turkey, and Four Roses are putting out much more than any of the lines distilled at Buffalo Trace. People camping out to score a bottle of Weller is a bit questionable.

ETA: I'm not a fan of any wheated bourbons.

Don't disagree with you there
austinag1997
AG
FriedTex said:

Red Rocks as a venue was as good as advertised. The setup is almost surreal as you journey up to the amphitheater and sound quality there is amazing. Some outdoor venues can be a little suspect, but this is not at all. I don't know if its the altitude or we tailgated longer than I anticipated, but the bourbon got to me a bit on night one - it was a great night for me, I think my wife would have liked me toned down about 25% more

On top of that it was the Avett Brothers and they rocked it all three nights. Night two was special because they sang the album "I and Love and You" straight through in the middle of their set. Night Three felt like more of an insider/family night as they had their dad come up and sing one of his songs and had a bit of a more mellow feeling to it - they covered Randy Travis "Forever and Ever Amen" and that was a lot of fun.

First time I have seen the same band three nights in a row, but they did an awesome job changing up the sets and making each night feel unique. We will totally be back there again!

Was there this past week just to see the venue... didnt see a show. Cool place.
SpiderDude
AG
Fall92 said:

reveille23 said:

My comment was that is one bourbon where the store picks are much, much better than the regular bottle.

Thanks for the tip. I recently discovered this myself but it's good to confirm with another source. I bought a store pick Knob Creek Rye that I love! The same store (Oak Liquor Cabinet in Austin) is supposed to be coming out with a Knob SB 120 proof that I can't wait to try.
aad03
AG
SouthernRaisedYankee said:

Need a take bourbon board, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel for 60, good buy?

$60 is a little high. Should be able to find the Kentucky Spirit around $52-54. The Russell's Reserve Single Barrel is usually about $55. Rare Breed $39-40. Those are my benchmarks for those bourbons.
Class of '03
StEdsCOOG
Went on my first distillery vacation last week. Flew into Louisville last Monday then headed to Nashville Wednesday morning before flying home Friday. Went to the following:

Buffalo Trace (Tuesday morning)
Woodford Reserve (Tuesday afternoon)
Makers Mark (Wednesday morning)
Nelson's Green Brier (Wednesday afternoon)
Jack Daniel's (Thursday morning)

Had an absolute blast. Can't wait to plan at my next trip.
Farmer1906
AG
Which ones were the most enjoyable?
boboguitar
AG
StEdsCOOG said:

Went on my first distillery vacation last week. Flew into Louisville last Monday then headed to Nashville Wednesday morning before flying home Friday. Went to the following:

Buffalo Trace (Tuesday morning)
Woodford Reserve (Tuesday afternoon)
Makers Mark (Wednesday morning)
Nelson's Green Brier (Wednesday afternoon)
Jack Daniel's (Thursday morning)

Had an absolute blast. Can't wait to plan at my next trip.

What was your favorite?
StEdsCOOG
Farmer1906 said:

Which ones were the most enjoyable?
I really enjoyed Buffalo Trace, Makers and Jack. I'm a big fan of history so Buffalo Trace and Jack Daniel's got the edge there. What Maker's lacked in history was made up with the immaculate grounds. The place is really nice. Woodford was really nice too but the distillery is so much smaller than the other three that it's tough to compare. But if I had to pick one, it would probably be Buffalo Trace.

I was very fortunate to go on this trip with a buddy of mine that was able to secure us some special treatment at each location (minus Greenbrier).

Buffalo Trace - Private tour, barrel selections (Weller Full Proof and Blanton's Single Barrel) and lunch with Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley inside the Old Taylor House built by E. H. Taylor's great-grandfather. We might've visited some buildings that are off limits to the public. If so, then Jack would be #1.

Woodford - Private tour and tasting with Assistant Master Distiller Elizabeth McCall. Really nice distillery.

Makers - Private tour and tasting and got to dip my own bottle which I believe comes with certain tours. I really wish we would've gone by Jim Beam and Willett's on the way in but we had a couple hours of driving to Nashville after the visit so it would've made for a really long day.

Jack Daniel's - Toured the grounds and did a tasting with public then we were taken on an additional tour with Master Distiller Jeff Arnett. We got to tour the Motlow Cave which is off limits to the public, visited Jack Daniel's grave site, location of his childhood home and original still, and the location of his home. The town square was also a short walk away so that adds to the visit. Also had an excellent lunch at Miss Mary Bobo's.

I'm not sure I could go on a trip that could top this one.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I'll buy a full proof From you when the barrel comes in.
SpiderDude
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

I'll buy a full proof From you when the barrel comes in.

Yes, please...me too!!!
Post removed:
by user
Cowboy Curtis
AG
In for a full proof
Brad_97
AG
Haha - you're about to get a lot of attention for full proof that you may need to shut down in a hurry (in for one though if available!)

Great trip and definitely some non-standard tours. Sounds fantastic and great to hear. Will be adding to my list next I'm back that way.
Farmer1906
AG
Yup.

In as well.
boboguitar
AG
In
agcrock2005
AG
OK, I'm in too...
FriedTex
AG
I'll take half the barrel
SpiderDude
AG
FriedTex said:

I'll take half the barrel
Boat Shoes
AG
Supposedly some Weller 12 hit the shelves in Dallas today. Anyone have a lead?
jsn1986
AG
My friend at specs in Houston said they had some come in.
tripperwill
AG
I want to be friends with your friend.
LCE
AG
I got a call from the Specs in SA for Weller 12
Jimmy_the_gent
AG
Noob Question.

For something like a Weller 12, how do you find what's the retail price on those type of bottles. How could I tell if a store is selling it to me at a MSRP or if their selling it at a marked up price?
agcrock2005
AG
LCE
AG
I paid $28 + tax for a 750
John Francis Donaghy
Weller 12 should be in the upper $20s. If it's over $30, they're priced high. If it's over $35 they're definitely gouging.
RaylanGivens
Specs $29.99 today, just under the $30 wire.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Is it safe to assume it will all be gone/allocated if looking for one today in DFW?
boboguitar
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Is it safe to assume it will all be gone/allocated if looking for one today in DFW?
yep
AlaskanAg99
AG
Was this just Specs for the W12?
First Page Last Page
Page 379 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.