Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,862,217 Views | 38646 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Bulldog73
Hottrawd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In Lexington KY this week, and scored 2 bottles of Heaven Hill BIB (production ceased this year), 3 bottles of Tomatin 1988, Blantons, Willett, New Riff, and my new favorite Rye whiskey...James E Pepper Barrel proof Rye 1786
AlaskanAg99
AG
James E Pepper? Never heard of it.

Pressing 1, I'd like to know more.
aTm '99
Hottrawd
I meant 1776. They won the gold medal for best Rye in the New York spirits competition. It is available in the Houston area at Total Wine, although it's not the barrel strength that I picked up in Lexington.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kentucky.com/news/business/bourbon-industry/article218983865.html
aggiemike89
AG
Anybody had the new Little Book release? My guy called me yesterday and has one for me. Don't know if want to drop a hundie on it though.
Curios Ag
AG
Do you guys see ROCK HILL FARMS in Texas?

Can't buy it on the shelves in Portland.

We always have Eagle Rare and Blantons SB in stock....if anybody wants to buy me a bottle I'll buy you something from Portland. Or just pay cash and shipping

Here's the state liquor site...you can search for what we have available.
http://www.oregonliquorsearch.com

Here's a pic of my collection :
Señor Chang
AG
Nice
BeardofZeus01
AG
Nice collection. How do you like that Whoop & Holler? Had a couple pours a handful of months back and really enjoyed it. Critics didn't speak to highly of it, but I keep trying to track down a bottle. It's just not worth what they want on the secondary.

And I havent had much luck with RHF in the DFW or B/CS areas. Picked up 2 bottles at retail in the last 18 months. Too much work involved for that bottle IMO.
AlaskanAg99
AG
RHF disappears quick, is allocated etc... I'll keep an eye out as I need one for myself.

You get any EC store picks up there?
aTm '99
jh0400
AG
I'm a sucker for WP10 picks and really like WP15. I have no problem paying $25 a glass for it but can't bring myself to drop $200 on a bottle.
tandrus
AG
I'd be willing to send you some $$$ for Blanton's. Will pay shipping. It's damn near impossible to get here.
the dude10
AG
Randomly came across some ETL today that wasn't just absurdly marked up. First time in awhile I have seen that and been comfortable enough at the price to grab it.
dmart90
AG
dmart90 said:

Decided to try my hand at blending again - it's been a while. Got some mini-mason jars, so we're looking at about 60 mls of bourbon wasted if things don't work out. Here are my initial blends:

• 1:1:1 - Four Roses Yellow, Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch
  • 2:2:1 - Fours Roses Yellow, Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel
  • 1:1 - Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel
  • 3:2 - Four Roses Yellow, Four Roses Small Batch
  • 55:33:12 - Four Roses OBSF (11y, 4m), Four Roses OESF (10y, 1m), Four Roses OBSV ( 11y, 10m)

The last is a variation on the ratio for the 125th Anniversary Limited Edition (55 OBSK, 33 OESK, and 12 OBSV) - I don't have any OBSK or OESK. Put them all together on 9/15. Maybe I'll try a sip this weekend to see how things are going...
Update:

Finally getting around to sampling the blends:

• 55:33:12 - Four Roses OBSF (11y, 4m), Four Roses OESF (10y, 1m), Four Roses OBSV ( 11y, 10m)
    Bummer. Not a great blend just tastes like alcohol - no flavor.
  • 1:1 - Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel
    Just tastes watered down. Another fail.
  • 3:2 - Four Roses Yellow, Four Roses Small Batch
    More watered down bourbon. Astringent after taste. Blech!
  • 1:1:1 - Four Roses Yellow, Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch
    Lame. Boy this experiment is a fail.
  • 2:2:1 - Fours Roses Yellow, Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel
    FINALLY! This one doesn't suck! Well, at least in comparison to the other blends. It's a little bland. But sadly it's the best one.

So, the people at Four Roses know way more about blending bourbon than I do. Go figure.

I need to drink some decent bourbon, now.
Curios Ag
AG
I've never seen any ER store picks in portland. It's all state controlled so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.
AgDev01
AG
It really is funny how region makes all of the difference in the world in regards to selection. Most of the stuff y'all mention in this thread i'll never see but Blanton's is one item that is typically in stock at my local store for about 60 or so a bottle. I know they had a bottle last week as i was picking between that and lagavulin 16 at the same price to take to a party for my boss.
FriedTex
AG
If you are ever in Sioux Falls, they have ECBP all over the place
jh0400
AG
I tried to PM you but got an error. Did you have one that you'd want to swap?
jh0400
AG
Random question: does anyone here know if any other brands that are bottling the 100% Canadian rye mashbill that Whistlepig is using in their 10 year picks? I've decided that I really like those and am interested in trying any other versions if they exist.
Post removed:
by user
jh0400
AG
No worries. I'll throw it up on HWE if I can't find a C when they release here.
jh0400
AG
No worries. I'll put it up on HWE or just drink it. I need to revisit that batch. From what I remember it's not as good as B517, but it's been a while.
FriedTex
AG
Bourbon

John Francis Donaghy
Bourbon!!!!!!!
BigAg95
AG
That was stressful. Required quantity over quality, so I am glad I went with Beam white label to carry me through it!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
BigAg95 said:

That was stressful. Required quantity over quality, so I am glad I went with Beam white label to carry me through it!

Here here!!
Wheatables02
AG
FYI distillr app now has tasting reviews and a feed similar to untappd. Their database is better now too. Please add my username and we can view tasting notes
AlaskanAg99
AG
Anyone here have a Blanton's Black or Special Reserve (Green) they'd like to unload? I already have SFTB and Gold. Yes, I'm picking them all (except Silver).
aTm '99
aggiefan83
AG
How would y'all recommend that I go about trying to procure the below list of bourbons? I know some are cheap/easy to find off the shelf, but others are impossible to find, at least on store shelves. This will be a Christmas gift for a client, so it's possible that we'll be willing to pay the crazy prices that some of these will require. I'm in Dallas if it matters.

Angel's Envy
Eagle Rare
Noah's Mill
Widow Jane
Buffalo Trace
Larceny
Blanton's
Pappy Van Winkle
Willets Pot Still
Evan Williams
Heaven Hill
Blade and Bow
Garrison Brothers
Jeffersons Ocean
Four Roses
Hudson Baby
Ezra Brooks
Elijah Craig
Colonel EH Taylor
Henry McKenna
Old Forester
WL Weller
Woodford Reserve
Black Maple Hill
Devils River State
Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
aggiefan83 said:

How would y'all recommend that I go about trying to procure the below list of bourbons? I know some are cheap/easy to find off the shelf, but others are impossible to find, at least on store shelves. This will be a Christmas gift for a client, so it's possible that we'll be willing to pay the crazy prices that some of these will require. I'm in Dallas if it matters.

Angel's Envy - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Eagle Rare - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Noah's Mill - check multiple total wine/specs should find it
Widow Jane - check multiple total wine/specs should find it
Buffalo Trace - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Larceny - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Blanton's - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Pappy Van Winkle - seconday market - out at least $800 for 15 year
Willets Pot Still - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Evan Williams - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Heaven Hill - distiller and not a brand, its only brand HH 6 year discontinued and Kentucky Only
Blade and Bow - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Garrison Brothers - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Jeffersons Ocean - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Four Roses - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Hudson Baby - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Ezra Brooks - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Elijah Craig - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Colonel EH Taylor - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Henry McKenna - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Old Forester - available at most Total Wine/Specs
WL Weller - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Woodford Reserve - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Black Maple Hill - trash and hard to find in TX - made in Oregon now , dont waste your time
Devils River State - no idea what this is

quick synopsis - visit a few Total Wines and Specs and procure. Done.
Wheatables02
AG
third coast.. said:

No offense but most of the things on that list aren't worth purchasing
agree
aggiefan83
AG
Wheatables02 said:

aggiefan83 said:

Angel's Envy - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Eagle Rare - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Noah's Mill - check multiple total wine/specs should find it
Widow Jane - check multiple total wine/specs should find it
Buffalo Trace - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Larceny - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Blanton's - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Pappy Van Winkle - seconday market - out at least $800 for 15 year
Willets Pot Still - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Evan Williams - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Heaven Hill - distiller and not a brand, its only brand HH 6 year discontinued and Kentucky Only
Blade and Bow - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Garrison Brothers - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Jeffersons Ocean - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Four Roses - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Hudson Baby - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Ezra Brooks - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Elijah Craig - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Colonel EH Taylor - allocated, harder to find...drops at total wine every few months
Henry McKenna - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Old Forester - available at most Total Wine/Specs
WL Weller - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Woodford Reserve - available at most Total Wine/Specs
Black Maple Hill - trash and hard to find in TX - made in Oregon now , dont waste your time
Devils River State - no idea what this is

quick synopsis - visit a few Total Wines and Specs and procure. Done.
Thanks Wheatables02!

For the ones that you say are "allocated, harder to find," do I need to get on a list to buy those? Or just keep calling my local stores to find them? What do y'all think works best?

For PVW, is there a legitimate secondary market, or do you just have to buy from random people willing to sell that you find online?

As far as the other comments, our client is drilling wells and these are the names they've chosen for their wells thus far. I guess the quality of the bourbon isn't the top priority.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
aggiefan83
AG
third coast.. said:

But they really named a well willett pot still?
Yep, Willets Pot Still 5-2E #1H to be exact.

Thanks for the suggestion, I sent my request to join that group.

If anyone in Dallas is willing to sell the harder to find ones on my list, I would rather deal with an Ag. Just let me know.
Señor Chang
AG
A lot of the names on your list are just brands. It's synonymous with saying you want to buy a Ford. The follow up question would be "what kind of Ford?". Some of the low end ones would be easy to find but probably wouldn't make a good gift. You should identify the specific type you want.

Sounds like you want to fill this entire list. Must be a really good client!
First Page Last Page
Page 337 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.