Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,634 Views | 38544 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Naveronski
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Larceny is allocated now? I see it all over the place.
Wheatables02
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Larceny is allocated now? I see it all over the place.
sorry, cut and paste typo. it's everywhere.
aggiefan83
AG
Seor Chang said:

A lot of the names on your list are just brands. It's synonymous with saying you want to buy a Ford. The follow up question would be "what kind of Ford?". Some of the low end ones would be easy to find but probably wouldn't make a good gift. You should identify the specific type you want.

Sounds like you want to fill this entire list. Must be a really good client!

I'm a newb when it comes to bourbon, but I believe my client named these wells after straight bourbon whiskey, so that's what I would be looking for as far as the type or "model" goes.
Señor Chang
AG
For example, there are several different Bourbons under the Van Winkle label with varying price points. See this page:
http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/van-winkle
John Francis Donaghy
aggiefan83 said:

Seor Chang said:

A lot of the names on your list are just brands. It's synonymous with saying you want to buy a Ford. The follow up question would be "what kind of Ford?". Some of the low end ones would be easy to find but probably wouldn't make a good gift. You should identify the specific type you want.

Sounds like you want to fill this entire list. Must be a really good client!

I'm a newb when it comes to bourbon, but I believe my client named these wells after straight bourbon whiskey, so that's what I would be looking for as far as the type or "model" goes.

"Straight" basically means it's aged at least 2 years, is at least 80 proof, and has no flavor additives or artificial coloring. Pretty much everything on your list will fall into that category.

If you're going all out and money is no object the secondary market on Facebook is your best bet. Beware counterfeit bottles (empty high end bottles that are refilled with cheap whiskey and then resealed/re-waxed to look new).

For most of the things on your list, you can walk into any big box liquor store and find them on the shelf on for under $50. Some of them are pretty low end labels.
Credible Source
AG
There are at least 5 "old forester" offerings, only one is a real treat though
tx4guns
AG
Yes, 1920 is awesome.
Credible Source
AG
tx4guns said:

Yes, 1920 is awesome.
tx4guns
AG
I've compared it side by side with the last 3 years of OFBB, and it beats them all. It also won a 20 bourbon blind tasting series within our Houston group. It beat some bourbons that most consider to be premium bottles.
Farmer1906
AG
tx4guns said:

I've compared it side by side with the last 3 years of OFBB, and it beats them all. It also won a 20 bourbon blind tasting series within our Houston group. It beat some bourbons that most consider to be premium bottles.
OF1920? That is surprising because I don't care for it at all. I still have a half-empty bottle that I don't plan on emptying any time soon.
Wheatables02
AG
tx4guns said:

I also enjoy it. I've grown towards the OF Single Barrel store pick as well depending on the store.
Credible Source
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tx4guns said:

OF1920? That is surprising because I don't care for it at all. I still have a half-empty bottle that I don't plan on emptying any time soon.

Same. I actually gave mine away.
aggielostinETX
AG
tx4guns said:

I have an unopened bottle we should have tasted Friday.
Post removed:
by user
CactusThomas
AG
Are the proofs the same? Jr can vary a lot from batch to batch, some are definitely better than others. You might like the new one if no one offers a trade.
tmas
AG
What's retail on Stagg Jr now?
LCE
AG
I paid $55 about a month ago
aggielostinETX
AG
LCE said:

I paid $55 about a month ago

$45-55
OogsAggie
Howdy all. Been a long while since I've been on. Would love to add to the discourse here. On that note J. would you be interested in a bottle of the the 1792 Barrel Select that was mentioned a couple of pages ago. It's from the TW in West U. I'm particularly impressed with it, but went overboard and have 4 bottles of it sitting around. I'd throw a couple of bucks your way, or a 6er of something fun as well. Cheers all.
jh0400
AG
Has anyone here tried the NASA Liquor WP picks? I'm a sucker for WP single barrels, but all of the ones I've had have been the Canadian barrels, and my understanding is that these are MGP.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Pickle juice
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Pickle juice

To this extent, they currently have a pick aptly named lil pickle

ETA if one of our Houston posters makes it to NASA, I wouldn't mind paying c+s for that one
AlaskanAg99
AG
NASA is a damn trek from the west side. So many barrel picks but few (any) on 10 west of the loop?

Costco doesn't count.
aTm '99
texas.aggie.2010
Need y'all help. I really like oaky such as Woodford double double oak or makers "over oaked" which they serve on the tour but don't sell as it doesn't meet their profile.

What should I be looking for that has a similar profile? Any oaky ryes out there?
plowboy1065
S
texas.aggie.2010 said:

Need y'all help. I really like oaky such as Woodford double double oak or makers "over oaked" which they serve on the tour but don't sell as it doesn't meet their profile.

What should I be looking for that has a similar profile? Any oaky ryes out there?

Purchase a mini barrel and oaky anything up as much as you'd like
texas.aggie.2010
Ah good point, thanks. I had forgotten about those!
Wheatables02
AG
Alr3111
AG
If you are looking for pappy van winkle 15 on secondary market I can help you out with that if you post contact info.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Go with a bottom shelfer
Wheatables02
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Go with a bottom shelfer

I would but I find if I stick with the same bottle or same distiller it lessens hangovers if they happen...
ClickClack
AG
For some reason I just broke out the macallan 18 for the Astros game. Not bourbon but damn good.
Wheatables02
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Go with a bottom shelfer

Downgraded to old charter 8 year...
Austintm
Anyone tried Heaven's Door Double Barrel whiskey? Saw it, bought it, but have no idea what I'm getting into. Reviews look good
Post removed:
by user
Austintm
You mean other than to try something different instead of drinking the same thing....
First Page Last Page
Page 338 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.