Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,864,340 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by trouble
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If it's barrelled and aged in Texas, then none of that would be true....
Wheatables02
AG
Buck Compton said:

If it's barrelled and aged in Texas, then none of that would be true.
Sorry missed that.

I'm two EC12 and two Sazerac Rye Old Fashioneds in....
John Francis Donaghy
Buck Compton said:

If it's barrelled and aged in Texas, then none of that would be true....

Not necessarily. Barrelled and aged in Texas doesn't mean it wasn't barrelled and aged somewhere else first.

Distill, barrel, and age in Tennessee for 6, 8, 10, 12 years before a TX based NDP buys it, dumps it, and ships it to TX to be rebarrelled, aged for 6 months, then bottled, and sold as "barreled and aged in Texas."

I'm not familiar with Ben Milam, and I don't know if that's at all the case for them, but that's exactly the kind of thing NDPs are notorious for doing with their labeling. Make it 100% true, and totally misleading at the same time.
John Francis Donaghy
After looking at their website, it looks like the founder is an entertainment industry PR mogul, and the production itself is handled by a "head brewer", which is an odd title for a whiskey brand whose whiskey is made 1000 miles away, and his write up says absolutely nothing about any kind of whiskey making/blending knowledge or experience whatsoever.

I'm not sure I'd place much stock at all in anything on the label given those tidbits of information. Seems like the whole Texas-based operation is based primarily on branding and hype.

Quote:

After a career in media, public relations and entertainment in Austin, TX, Marsha Milam decided to dive headlong into the spirits industry. Specifically, she is the founder of the

FULL STORY

new Milam Distillery.

Ms. Milam has always considered herself a "from the ground up" person. She was the first PR and marketing director for Chuy's restaurants, an Austin-based chain, the co-founder of The Austin Film Festival, the creator of the immensely popular live music series, "KGSR's Unplugged at The Grove." She served as the talent buyer for The County Line BBQ's chain of free music series in San Antonio and El Paso. She also created and produced an acclaimed live music series for 95.9 The Ranch Music in Fort Worth. Most recently, she produced "Ranch Bash," an annual celebration of Texas' country singers and songwriters and Oklahoma's "Red Dirt" country scene. Ranch Bash, now in its 15th year is attended by more than 10,000 folks annually.

All told, Ms. Milam entertains more than 100,000 Texas music fans a year.

Marsha currently sits on the boards of The Austin Film Festival, the Clifford Antone Foundation, the HOPE Outdoor Gallery and H.O.M.E which provides housing assistance to aging musicians.

After having her genealogy traced, she was delighted to discover that she and Ben Milam were in fact first cousin six-times removed. Ben Milam was a hero and martyr of Texas' fight for independence. To honor him, Ms. Milam's goal is to create a whiskey "as authentic as Texas."

MarshaMilamMusic.com

Quote:

Jordan Osborne

Head Brewer,Ben Milam Whiskey

Born and raised near Houston, Jordan is a Navy veteran who moved to Durango, CO to pursue a career in the art and science of brewing. Within a year of joining an award-winning

FULL STORY

Colorado brewery, he had risen from a member of the production crew to lead brewer. "My passion for brewing and distilling comes from the creative yet systematic processes involved. It's an exciting and rewarding experience turning raw materials and ingredients into a product that brings people together," he explains.

Colorado was greatwhat's not to like?but by 2016, Jordan was ready for a return to the Lone Star State and ready for a new challenge, which turned out to be Ben Milam Whiskey. "I'm excited by the opportunity to help create some of the finest whiskey in Texas," he says.

"What I love about Ben Milam Whiskey is that we are centered around authenticity, from our founder's direct lineage to Ben, to the quality of our whiskey. We carry this authenticity throughout our company."

When he's not crafting great whiskey, Jordan recharges in the outdoors, indulging a longtime fondness for camping and fly fishing.
BQRyno
AG
Little Book #2 coming out next month. Kentucky Bourbon blended with 2 Canadian whiskeys. I enjoyed the first one, so I'm interested in giving this a shot.
jh0400
AG
BQRyno said:

Little Book #2 coming out next month. Kentucky Bourbon blended with 2 Canadian whiskeys. I enjoyed the first one, so I'm interested in giving this a shot.

CharlieBrown17
AG
It's a 13 yr Canadian rye at 111.9 proof and a 40 yr Canadian whiskey at 137.8 proof and a 8 yr Kentucky rye at 119.8 proof.

Sounds interesting enough to me
SweaterVest
AG
Stopped by a local shop and lucked into a couple of bottles of Eagle Rare on the shelf tonight for $38 each. Not a bad find! Was talking to the owner and he pulled out a bottle of Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel and asked if I was interested. I'd never heard of it at the time but apparently it's pretty hard to find. Anyone tried it before? He only had one, I may go pick it up tomorrow if he still has it.
Wheatables02
AG
EVERYONE HERE WILL TAKE IT!
BQRyno
AG
It's awful, but I'll take it off your hands.
Credible Source
AG
Bro! You embarrassed yourself in front of that generous liquor store owner.

Side bar I picked up two SAOS 10sb today. It was exciting as hell
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ehhh not a RHF fan personally.

It's something I'd grab a bottle of because it's in a pretty bottle and people are impressed by it if you have one.
SweaterVest
AG
Dammit. I feel like a dip***** To be fair I told him I'd leave it for someone that would properly appreciate it and thanked him for the offer.
Credible Source
AG
Oh that's cool. RHF is great, it's higher quality version of Blantons, I think it's similar to Blantons gold
Fall92
AG
I don't get the love for Blanton's Gold. STFB is great and I do like the SB but the Gold has a dry after taste that I just can't get used to.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
agcrock2005
AG
Fall92 said:

I don't get the love for Blanton's Gold. STFB is great and I do like the SB but the Gold has a dry after taste that I just can't get used to.
You're going to piss Deats off.
aggielostinETX
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Fall92 said:

You're going to piss Deats off.

ROFL. I've never had that experience.
aggielostinETX
AG
Who won the Final 4 at The Republic?
SweaterVest
AG
Dropped in today to thank him for his offer and see if he still had it. He sold it this morning but is expecting another bottle on Monday that he will hold. He did have a bottle of Kentucky Owl Rye 11 year but he wanted a pretty penny for it so I passed.
CharlieBrown17
AG

Probably should've drank more and bought less recently knowing I have to move three states away in a few weeks
Chipotlemonger
AG
Probably should get a better table runner, too.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Idgaf about it. Don't fight small battles when there's wars to be won
Chipotlemonger
AG
Does that "war" include "losing" the table runner during the move?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Noooope because then she buys another one.

It's bought, she likes it, her friends like it, and I don't have to pretend to be interested in table runner options to replace the lost one.

Post removed:
by user
agcrock2005
AG
You don't like to hunt do you?
Post removed:
by user
Credible Source
AG
Oh jeez, I thought Third coasts "shelf turds" was more pics of CharlieBrown. I wondering how the **** he has that kind of bourbon at his age.
CharlieBrown17
AG
You wait til this fall. Already have my liquor store in Mississippi picked out.
Credible Source
AG
Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed with what you have. But that kind of collection takes time
Wheatables02
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

You wait til this fall. Already have my liquor store in Mississippi picked out.
Lincoln Road?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Nah that's all the way across the state from where I'll be unfortunately

Will stop by as I drive out that way though
CharlieBrown17
AG
You just like it cause there's two ECBP and two EC store picks
Credible Source
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

You just like it cause there's two ECBP and two EC store picks

Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 329 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.