Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,868,377 Views | 38689 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by rca21978
Fall92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw 2 bottles of Blanton's in Galveston last weekend- $125/each. Passed.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Superdave1993
AG
Good call!
Post removed:
by user
SweaterVest
AG
Is Weller Special Reserve (regular green label) something hard to find? Just stopped by my local shop in Houston and the shelves were full of it at MSRP.
CharlieBrown17
AG
WSR is pretty much always on shelves in this market. Other parts of the country don't get the same supply.

It's fine for what it is
Credible Source
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Gasp! I've been found out

Technically so have I. Mutually assured destruction.
SweaterVest
AG
Thanks. Seemed odd that people were seeing them in limited quantities and $100+ when I see a shelf full at $23.99...

I did pick up a bottle of the Ben Milam. Will report back.
oldarmy84
AG
We don't see it up in Maryland (occasionally get Antique at cost, $28, and stock up, but 12 year is always marked up to around $120, and it stays on the shelf) , but I usually pick up WSR when I am in San Antonio........since it is well stocked all over town, $16-18.
TXAG 05
AG
SweaterusVestus said:

Thanks. Seemed odd that people were seeing them in limited quantities and $100+ when I see a shelf full at $23.99...

Interested to hear about the Milam. I'm skeptical of the Texas bourbons, but it's won a lot of awards.
SweaterVest
AG
I've always felt the same. They didn't have any of what I was looking for in stock yesterday but the owner recommended it. Figured I'd pick this one up for now and go back next week when he gets his Eagle Rare, Blantons, and W12 in.
Fall92
AG
third coast.. said:

Which store? My go to stores on the island never have jacked the prices up. I'm assuming farbs on Broadway
It was the store on the Strand. I didn't catch the name but the guy wasn't amused when I said 2 for $125 in response.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
StEdsCOOG
I'm buying part of my brothers collection. This should get me thru the hurricane season.

EH Taylor
- Cured Oak
- Barrel Proof
- Tornado Survivor

Parker's Heritage
- 2013 Promise of Hope #7
- 2015 Malt Whiskey #9

Orphan Barrel
- 2014 Lost Prophet
- 2014 Old Blowhard
- 2014 Barterhouse
- 2014 Rhetoric 20yr
- 2015 Rhetoric 21yr
- 2015 Forged Oak

Willet Family Estate
- Single Barrel 87/181
- Single Barrel 112/166
- XCF Exploratory Batch

tx4guns
AG
If that Tornado is not open, sell it. It's not that good.

What barrel numbers/ages are the Willetts? That's just the bottle number out of the barrel you posted. Means nothing.
StEdsCOOG
9 year (87/181) is from barrel #7181
10 year (112/166) is from barrel #1381

Tornado won't be opened and the Orphans will look good in my glass front cabinets. I need some bottles to eat up some space and I think they look slick.
John Francis Donaghy
StEdsCOOG said:

9 year (87/181) is from barrel #7181
10 year (112/166) is from barrel #1381

Tornado won't be opened and the Orphans will look good in my glass front cabinets. I need some bottles to eat up some space and I think they look slick.

If they're just going to be decorations. How much would you want for the Rhetorics?
jsn1986
AG
ethyleneAG11 said:

Anyone tried a 2017 GTS? I got one from my store the other day and was wondering if it compares to previous years, or if I should trade it.
I had a pour (not the first) on Saturday. It has the finish and mouth feel that I think really makes Stagg great. That being said if you're interested in a trade...it is complete swill and would taste better after being filtered through your kidneys. I've been out of the game a while, but prob have some 4 roses limiteds i could consider. scott (dot) niland (at) gmail (dot) com if you want to shout at me.
CactusThomas
AG
Is Promise of Hope for sale?
07ag
AG
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Saw that movie on hulu the other week, its pretty good. I enjoyed that last bit about that bottle of pappy with the sons and father. Bourbon IS meant to be drank, not sold for insane prices, hoarded, and sat on a shelf to never be opened.
agcrock2005
AG
Great movie. Wouldn't mind banging the Castle & Key lady either...
TXAG 05
AG
SweaterusVestus said:

Opened the Ben Milam yet?
FriedTex
AG
I've had a couple pours of Ben Milam- it's average, not a 40-50 dollar bourbon imo
SweaterVest
AG
Yep, had a pour last night. I really enjoyed it. Had a warm smooth finish. I can't place the bourbon that it reminded me of but I'll remember it by tomorrow. I'd definitely recommend it but my palette probably isn't as tuned as many here. I would say it's better than the Rowan's Creek and Basil Hayden that I enjoy as daily drinkers.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think that's about right, I enjoyed it as well
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Guess I've been really behind on stuff since I have only gone into my store to pick up bottles at the front saved for me.
But I went down the actual bourbon isle to get some eagle rare (10) and Weller Antique since I used drink those daily and ran out, and they had none. So I asked the owner I know about it, and he said it's been allocated now and pretty much hard to find anywhere now. This is getting depressing. Soon these hipsters are going to start buying all the Weller Special Reserve and Jim beam out.
boboguitar
AG
You can't find weller special reserve anywhere right now.
ClickClack
AG
boboguitar said:

Spec's seems to always have it in Houston.
the dude10
AG
I seem to be seeing it everywhere in Austin right now. Got some stagg jr yesterday at the regular $50. Most places selling weller 12 for more than that these days
TXAG 05
AG
boboguitar said:

Where are you located? It's everywhere I go.
boboguitar
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

boboguitar said:

Where are you located? It's everywhere I go.

Frisco, went to 4 different places today. Didn't see a single bottle.
bunlundun
AG
The Plano Costco on DNT has WSR green label in the gigantic bottles as a staple. Also often found at the Total Wines in Plano.
oldarmy84
AG
Thanks for posting the URL for the Bourbon Story. Really enjoyed the Archaeology portion. Might look into that next time I am out in the area.
88Warrior
I recently bought and tried the Ben Milam stuff.. Have to say it was the first Texas whiskey that I've really liked...By the bottle it says it's distilled in Tennessee but barreled and aged in Texas so I don't know if it's a true "Texas" whiskey or not... either way I'll buy it again and hope to get to Blanco to see the place..I found it at Total Wines for about $37.00..
TXAG 05
AG
Cool. I'll picknup a bottle next time I see it.
Wheatables02
AG
88Warrior said:

I recently bought and tried the Ben Milam stuff.. Have to say it was the first Texas whiskey that I've really liked...By the bottle it says it's distilled in Tennessee but barreled and aged in Texas so I don't know if it's a true "Texas" whiskey or not... either way I'll buy it again and hope to get to Blanco to see the place..I found it at Total Wines for about $37.00..
That would explain why its better. it has the cool nights and cool season which water to penetrate the barrel. This also allows the whiskey/bourbon pushed into the oak to release back out. Distillers in Texas claim the heat causes the "whiskey to age faster" however it lacks balance, complexity, and depth IMO.

First Page Last Page
Page 328 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.