Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,865,978 Views | 38667 Replies | Last: 33 sec ago by srob2004
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Charleston. Went in mostly for the novelty of it being the oldest liquor store in the country.
ClickClack
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Just popped my head into a liquor store to see what they had. ETL for $200, Blantons for $125, and the crown jewel of regular Weller for $140.

Wait Weller Special Reserve for $140? Or Antique? Either of course is ridiculous but..
TXAG 05
AG
Regular weller. Green label
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah I went in there as well. They also have a lot of pappy on the shelf for secondary prices
TXAG 05
AG
It's a neat little shop, but their prices for everything were a lot higher than back home.
Credible Source
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Just popped my head into a liquor store to see what they had. ETL for $200, Blantons for $125, and the crown jewel of regular Weller for $140.

Lmao, I'm headed to a boys weekend on the lake and I'm taking a litre of W12 and an OWA because I dont want to drink my expensive stuff
CharlieBrown17
AG
Agreed. I was totally willing to pay a bit of a vacation tax on a EHT SiB they had but then I saw it was between double and triple MSRP
Ducks4brkfast
AG
When I tell a buddy to pick a bottle of bourbon from the liquor cabinet and they're all like, "OMG YOU HAVE BLANTONS?!" as they reach past a dozen glut-era bottles with tax strips to grab it.
aggielostinETX
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

When I tell a buddy to pick a bottle of bourbon from the liquor cabinet and they're all like, "OMG YOU HAVE BLANTONS?!" as they reach past a dozen glut-era bottles with tax strips to grab it.

Get tired of explaining the good stuff, so I keep lots of Blanton's on hand to serve people. They like it. I like it. But it keeps them outta the other stuff.
ClickClack
AG
Just picked up a couple bottles of Eagle Rare in Houston at specs. They had six. Pretty excited to find some.
John Francis Donaghy
ClickClack said:

Just picked up a couple bottles of Eagle Rare in Houston at specs. They had six. Pretty excited to find some.

I died a little on the inside reading this post.
LawHall88
AG
ClickClack said:

I've got three bottles in the cabinet right now. It's been an easy find the last month in San Antonio. But I limit myself to one bottle per trip.
ClickClack
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

ClickClack said:

You ok?
John Francis Donaghy
ClickClack said:

ClickClack said:

You ok?

Not if people are having to hunt for Eagle Rare.
ClickClack
AG
Not sure if I've had eagle rare before but if I have it's been years. Haven't seen it on the shelf in a while. First impressions are it's smooth, easy sipper, but has some depth. Seems like a great daily drinker, a trend I'm noticing with most of the buffalo trace bourbons. I actually like this better than my wild turkey 101 single barrel at twice the price.
Wheatables02
AG

ClickClack said:

ClickClack said:

You ok?

It's been "allocated" at most big box for almost two years now....
Trinity Ag
S
Cstrickland05 said:

Just got back from Kentucky.

Went to half dozen liquor stores, from the on base CLVI to mom & pop to the Liquor Barn.

There was not a bottle of regular Weller to be had anywhere -- much less Antique, 12, or Blantons, and they all laughed when I asked.

Eagle Rare was on the shelf everywhere, but the shipments had just arrived.

Had hoped to bring back something interesting.

Ended up with a bottle of Rittenhouse BiB Rye for ~$26.
FriedTex
AG
Deats said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Get tired of explaining the good stuff, so I keep lots of Blanton's on hand to serve people. They like it. I like it. But it keeps them outta the other stuff.
X1000

Great camouflage
TXAG 05
AG
Wheatables02 said:

ClickClack said:

ClickClack said:

You ok?

It's been "allocated" at most big box for almost two years now....

They have a couple bottles at $80/pop at the place I went today. Bought a bottle of it back in Houston a couple weeks ago for like $28.

So ready for the hipsters to move onto something else.
FriedTex
AG
Trinity Ag said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Just got back from Kentucky.

Went to half dozen liquor stores, from the on base CLVI to mom & pop to the Liquor Barn.

There was not a bottle of regular Weller to be had anywhere -- much less Antique, 12, or Blantons, and they all laughed when I asked.

Eagle Rare was on the shelf everywhere, but the shipments had just arrived.

Had hoped to bring back something interesting.

Ended up with a bottle of Rittenhouse BiB Rye for ~$26.
Usually the Buffalo Trace tour always has Eagle Rare and Blanton's in stock
KVB07
AG
I found a bottle of RHF in Austin, I was pretty excited until the guy told me he wanted $200. He tried to sell it to me by saying if I found it anywhere else I would pay $240. I let him keep it.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Gift shops are your friend
Ag00Ag
AG
Ordered a signature cocktail at a semi fancy place a couple of weeks ago...waiter was nice enough to tell me the basics of the ingredients. Took a little experimenting as he didn't give me specific proportions but what I've come up with I think is better than what I was served so I thought I'd share;

Pecan Old Fashioned;

In a rocks glass

1/2 teaspoon of white granulated sugar (or 1 sugar cube)
1 teaspoon club soda
1 teaspoon Angostura Bitters

2 teaspoons Evangeline's Praline Liqueur Pecan

2 to 3 Oz (depending on preference) Old Forester's 1870

darn fine sippin'

enjoy
oldarmy84
AG
Would rather just have the Old Forester 1870 neat...........to each his own
aggielostinETX
AG
That's the only bitters we use
BustaAgg
AG
88Warrior said:

Anyone tried the Ben Milam stuff?? Was driving through Blanco Monday and noticed the place. They are closed on Mondays so no luck trying them out...I stopped by the Total Wines in Selma and asked about it and the guy said they only get like 6 bottles a week of it and it's gone in a couple of days...
Not bad at all....Better than alot of Texas whiskeys I've had (although i believe while its bottled here, its distilled barrel aged initially in Kentucky). Definitely worth picking up.
jh0400
AG
I'm hurting this morning. A coworker had a birthday yesterday, and we went out to celebrate last night. My night consisted of ECBP x 2 (I'm unsure of the release number, but it was the old bottle), Little Book, EHTBP, and a couple of beers mixed in.
Superdave1993
AG
jh0400 said:

I'm hurting this morning. A coworker had a birthday yesterday, and we went out to celebrate last night. My night consisted of ECBP x 2 (I'm unsure of the release number, but it was the old bottle), Little Book, EHTBP, and a couple of beers mixed in.
How was the Little Book? I have not opened my bottle yet, and was wondering if it was worth saving for something special or drinking it and making room for something else.
jh0400
AG
I thought was ok but completely overshadowed by the ECBP. I'm also a huge EHT fan, and the EHTBP fell short of the ECBP, IMO.
Superdave1993
AG
Thanks for the update. That is what I have been hearing, so I will likely open it when an uninformed drinker comes over and thinks it is cool.
Credible Source
AG
jh0400 said:

I thought was ok but completely overshadowed by the ECBP. I'm also a huge EHT fan, and the EHTBP fell short of the ECBP, IMO.

I agree the ECBP put does both. Love that stuff
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Anyone tried a 2017 GTS? I got one from my store the other day and was wondering if it compares to previous years, or if I should trade it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Killed it in Tulsa today.

Bought:
ECBP B518 for 45
OWA liter for 26
Newest Stagg Jr for 54
Four Roses OBSV barrel strength at 126.2 proof for 59.99
Credible Source
AG
Damn good day!

CharlieBrown17
AG
Gasp! I've been found out
First Page Last Page
Page 327 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.