Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,814 Views | 38373 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by Aggie Therapist
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two stores near me (same owner) are doing this:

That's pretty cool.. burning a bottle of pappy for the public to taste.

Seems I remember they did it last year too. I need to sign up one of these days. You sign up and that gets your place in line, so you can just show up when they start. When you sign up, you get a number, so you'll know if you're say 25 or less, you're guaranteed to try the pappy (assuming 1 oz pours), but if you're 100, maybe not 100% any single particular one, but 100% to try something.. if you're like 300, don't even bother going.

There isn't an option to try and buy those 5, but they are doing a raffle to win chance to buy one of these:
aad03
AG
Don't get hoodwinked with the Barterhouse, Blood Oath, Yellowstone, or W12. There are much better bourbons sitting on shelves all over the country.
Class of '03
tmas
AG
Enlighten us....
Wheatables02
AG
tmas said:

Enlighten us....
Henry McKenna 10, Knob Creek Store Picks, Old Grand Dad 114, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Col. EH Taylor Small Batch, Elijah Craig store picks, the list goes on and on...
AlaskanAg99
AG
McKenna 10 is bland and hot. I was super let down. Else go for store picks.
Fall92
AG
Agree w the above except for the W12, which is a solid bourbon if you can get it at cost. Once you realize it's not a holy grail and is a $29.95 bottle that is an incredible value then you really appreciate it for what it is. That said,OWA is better.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
John Francis Donaghy
Fall92 said:

Agree w the above except for the W12, which is a solid bourbon if you can get it at cost. Once you realize it's not a holy grail and is a $29.95 bottle that is an incredible value then you really appreciate it for what it is. That said,OWA is better.

If you have a store that selling at actual MSRP, W12 checks in at a cool $25.99. At which price, it's a solid buy. At $100+ lile many are asking these days, it's a damn joke.

I nab about a bottle a year at $25.99, when it's gone I wait til i can find it at MSRP again. Not at all worth the hype it has these days.
Wheatables02
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

McKenna 10 is bland and hot. I was super let down. Else go for store picks.

Every palate is different. With an ice ball in a few ounces, I get a good balance with some cinnamon. I also gravitate towards heaven hill.
Fall92
AG
I think McKenna is a solid buy as well. Interesting comment that it's hot. I've never gotten that but everyone has a different palate.

Tried the MB Roland HBS store pick tonight. It's young but with a lot of flavor but the flavor is not oak and barrel. I got a lot of butterscotch and caramel. Really sweet.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
dmart90
AG
Picked up a bottle of Ranger Creek .36 Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Meh, certainly not worth $50+ a bottle. Has a decent nose and was ok. A little water opened it up and made it a *little* sweeter. I'd pass on it, personally.
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
htxag09
AG
At armadillo palace in houston for a show tonight. Their selection is great, but the prices....good lord. $70+ for a 2 oz pour of any of the antique collection. 120 for lot b. $50 for birthday bourbon
Ags #1
AG
120 for a poor of lot b????
TXAG 05
AG
htxag09 said:

At armadillo palace in houston for a show tonight. Their selection is great, but the prices....good lord. $70+ for a 2 oz pour of any of the antique collection. 120 for lot b. $50 for birthday bourbon

Was there tonight too. Agree on the selection, but all Goode Co places charge a premium on everything.
Credible Source
AG
htxag09 said:

Good lord, I've paid less at strip clubs
CharlieBrown17
AG
Going to Kentucky for my birthday weekend in October. Heaven Hill and Four Roses, I'm comin for ya.
62strat
AG
Geez I was just a place that had pappy 15 and I want to say it was like $25? Blanton's was like $12, and they had van winkle 10 for $18 I think? may be off a bit, but they weren't high.
agcrock2005
AG
Awesome. If you haven't been to Buffalo Trace distillery I strongly recommend. It's pretty cool. Makers has really cool atmosphere and good tour as well.
WES2006AG
AG
62strat said:

Geez I was just a place that had pappy 15 and I want to say it was like $25? Blanton's was like $12, and they had van winkle 10 for $18 I think? may be off a bit, but they weren't high.

What place was this?
htxag09
AG
Yeah, the prices were definitely absurd. Wasn't going to order any of it, looked just out of curiosity.
aad03
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Going to Kentucky for my birthday weekend in October. Heaven Hill and Four Roses, I'm comin for ya.
While you're down in the Four Roses area, go check out Wild Turkey. Their new visitors' center is awesome. Woodford is probably the most picturesque, but is also full of know-nothing tourists. May be slow in October though.
Class of '03
CharlieBrown17
AG
Definitely looking into making the trips to a few of the others but Heaven Hill and 4Roses are for sures for this trip. I'll let y'all know once things get closer where I end up making it to.
62strat
AG
WES2006AG said:

62strat said:

What place was this?
Crafty fox in Denver.
Quantum ace
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Definitely looking into making the trips to a few of the others but Heaven Hill and 4Roses are for sures for this trip. I'll let y'all know once things get closer where I end up making it to.

Are you planning to go to the Four Roses distillery in Lawrenceburg, or the Cox Creek warehouse and bottling facility? Cox Creek is about 20 minutes away from Heaven Hill, and is worth a visit. Beam is another 10 minutes down the road, but I haven't made it over there yet.
WES2006AG
AG
62strat said:

WES2006AG said:

62strat said:

What place was this?
Crafty fox in Denver.
Thanks, I will be in Denver this summer. I'll have to check this place out.
LCE
AG
Twin Peaks in San Antonio had Blantons for $8 and Pappy for $28 or so.
htxag09
AG
If you're in Denver, Bull & Bush has a good selection, used to be reasonable prices as well, but haven't been in a year or so.
62strat
AG
WES2006AG said:

62strat said:

WES2006AG said:

62strat said:

What place was this?
Crafty fox in Denver.
Thanks, I will be in Denver this summer. I'll have to check this place out.
If you find yourself south of the metro, this little gem in my little town has a superb whiskey selection, and they get Pappy relatively often.

https://www.parkergarage.com/menu.php?mid=8445

Also, if you're looking for single malts, this place takes the prize
http://www.pintspub.com/assets/whiskybook-8-16-17.pdf
CharlieBrown17
AG
I am now! Hadn't seen that before
Wheatables02
AG
Thoughts on Magnus Cigar blend?
Credible Source
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Thoughts on Magnus Cigar blend?

Dope
Ringo88
AG
New Batch 8 of Magnus Cigar Blend went online yesterday for $149 to loyal followers. No shipping; must pick up at distillery in D.C. before April 30th. 2 bottle limit. Sold out in 4 hours; window closed while I deliberated whether or not to mess with the hassle.
Wheatables02
AG
Ringo88 said:

New Batch 8 of Magnus Cigar Blend went online yesterday for $149 to loyal followers. No shipping; must pick up at distillery in D.C. before April 30th. 2 bottle limit. Sold out in 4 hours; window closed while I deliberated whether or not to mess with the hassle.
Total Wine in Allen, Arlington, and Lewisville each got a case of batch 8 on Monday. I went Tuesday morning and got one for $149 before tax, limit 1. I'm still skeptical about paying that much as the most I've ever paid for a bottle is $96.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Jealous. I've heard great things about the Cigar Blend. Hopefully it lives up to the price though.
Post removed:
by user
CharlieBrown17
AG
What are y'alls favorite rye whiskeys?

Have bottles of baby saz and rittenhouse I've enjoyed.

looking to stay under 50 or so, would stretch up a little but not much.

ETA pretty sure I know where I can grab a barrel pick High West Double Rye if anyone has an opinion on that bottle
First Page Last Page
Page 311 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.