Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,838,858 Views | 38430 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by AgCzar
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rittenhouse is one of the best values in the world of whiskey, imo. Pikesville Rye is the older version of Rittenhouse. Seen it around for under $50, and heard it's great, but haven't gotten around to buying one for myself yet.
HouseDivided06
AG
Pikesville should run you $40-$45 and is fantastic. One of my favorites at any price point. The regular Michters is pretty good for that price range as well.
the dude10
AG
I actually just bought a bottle of woodford rye for the first time. It is a really nice pour! Somehow I never tried it before but saw it on sale and thought what the hell. Seriously surprised me as I have never heard it mentioned by anyone
Chipotlemonger
AG
Guess I need to try some Pikesville if I like rye
tripperwill
AG
Pikesville is my favorite, easy to find rye.
Credible Source
AG
Rendezvous Rye is great also. I like the high west stuff
Farmer1906
AG
My favorite I can usually find easily is Russels Reserve Single Barrel Rye
aggielostinETX
AG
Baby Saz is hard to beat
aad03
AG
I gifted a bottle of the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye to a friend when his son was born, and he says "Isn't Wild Turkey the cheap stuff?"

Haven't hung out with him since.
Class of '03
Quantum ace
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

What are y'alls favorite rye whiskeys?

Have bottles of baby saz and rittenhouse I've enjoyed.

looking to stay under 50 or so, would stretch up a little but not much.

ETA pretty sure I know where I can grab a barrel pick High West Double Rye if anyone has an opinion on that bottle
Is the HW Double Rye finished in a secondary barrel? Most of the port and wine barrel finishes have been pretty good. I had one finished in a peated scotch barrel that was interesting, but definitely not for everyone.

Pikesville is currently my favorite generally available rye. Russels Reserve is another good one.
CharlieBrown17
AG
So looks like Pikesville is the way to go.

The Double Rye says it was finished in a barrel from a barreled Manhattan for 13 months.
Farmer1906
AG
Go easy on him. He sound ignorant of the bourbon life and he's likely very sleep deprived.
notheranymore
My friend is the head distiller here. Keep an eye on them...

https://weisswhiskey.com/
tx4guns
AG
So who does the tails?

prisschris said:

CrottyKid
AG
Thoughts on Henry McKenna single barrel 10 year bottled in bond?
HouseDivided06
AG
I found it meh but know many who swear by it. For the price point I prefer Four Roses small batch or single barrel, Evan Williams Single Barrel, or Rowan's Creek. It's fine but I thought it was pretty forgettable.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I think McKenna is better than the four roses small batch but the FRSiB is better but also more expensive.

McKenna is a really solid 30 dollar bottle, go in thinking that and you'll enjoy it. It's not magically delicious above its weight like the internet would have you to believe.
CJG15
AG
I love McKenna 10, great daily drinker
notheranymore
Well played
Post removed:
by user
plowboy1065
S
prisschris said:

Valentine Wiess was my first cousin 4x removed. I emailed back and forth with them a while back and he gave me the backstory on things. Kinda wish he would have kept the last name spelling correct instead of changing it up for marketing
AlaskanAg99
AG
CrottyKid said:

Thoughts on Henry McKenna single barrel 10 year bottled in bond?

One dimensional and hot. It's why it's still available on the shelf.
KVB07
AG
Anyone ever had Redwood Empire?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Went ahead and grabbed a bottle of Pikesville today. Will crack into sometime this week
CharlieBrown17
AG
Don't know how widespread it is but Specs in college station has two different Whistlepig 10 year rye store picks. One is 117 proof and one is 122. I grabbed a 122, higher proof and a lot darker
CrottyKid
AG
Why are store picks more desirable than regular bottles? Isn't the only difference a sticker on the side?
FriedTex
AG
Far from it, store picks are where you find value in today's bourbon market.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Way I see it it's an easy way to find single barrel bourbons from producers that may normally have tough-to-find single barrel bottles.

Also a cool way to support your local store. A win win if you like both the store and bourbon,
CharlieBrown17
AG
And depending on who did the picking, it's usually better than the standard bottle. Or at least different tasting.

In the case of that whistle pig the normal bottling is 10 year and 100 proof. My bottle is 10 year 122 proof and was the same price
John Francis Donaghy
CrottyKid said:

Why are store picks more desirable than regular bottles? Isn't the only difference a sticker on the side?

Depends on the quality of the store doing the picking.

With a store pick, the store gets to choose their own barrel of that particular bourbon, have the whole barrel bottled up, and sell the whole barrel in their store(s). If the store has someone who really knows their stuff doing the barrel picking, you can get some really great stuff at really great priced.

If the picker doesn't really know what they're doing, the store pick is probably going to be on par with the non-store pick version at best, maybe a step down if they choose one of lesser barrels set to go into the upcoming batch.

Find a good store that knows their stuff, and you can get some really good stuff for low prices.

FYI, Liquor Barn really knows their stuff when it comes to bourbon. Perks of being the locals I guess. They have some really, really good store picks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well said
tx4guns
AG
Just find bottles from a barrel I helped pick, and you'll find good bourbon.

CrottyKid said:

CharlieBrown17
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Went ahead and grabbed a bottle of Pikesville today. Will crack into sometime this week
Took my last PT test before commissioning this morning so its Pikesville tonight to celebrate.

Some good fruit, cherry or similar in the nose along with a familiar rye spice

Sweeter and more syrup in the mouth than I expected, I would personally like a more little spice in the mouth but it drinks way lower than 110 proff

Moderate finish with a good rye spice note that lingers along with a little vanilla.

Damn good pour and glad I have a bottle to dip into every now and then
jh0400
AG
Didn't see this posted.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/post/shipping-to-the-usa.aspx

Quote:

Ok, there's no way to sugar coat this, so we're just going to come right out and say it as of today, we're stopping delivery to the US.

We'd love to be able to have some idea how and if this is going to change in the future, but we just don't want to give any false hope.

Suffice to say, 2 things are true:

You guys in the USA are extremely important to us, and we are *incredibly* sorry about this.
We are working very hard on ways to be able to provide services again with the help of wholesale and retail partners based in-country.

Thank you for all your incredible support over the years.

The Chaps at Master of Malt
AlaskanAg99
AG
InBev with another win.
First Page Last Page
Page 312 of 1099

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.