Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,284 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know...this sucks. Was just about to start looking into these sites!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Poured a glencairn of Col EH Taylor small batch (can't remember y'all's acronym) tonight. First time to have it, have had the bottle a couple months it feels like. It is excellent.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Definitely my favorite of the lower tier bourbons in the Buffalo Trace mashbill #1
Credible Source
AG
I didn't realize EHT was BT, damn they have a stranglehold on great bourbons.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah its pretty impressive. Especially just in mashbill #1.

Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare 10/17-haven't had the 17
Col E H Taylor, which alone has had its fair share of hits but I've had the small batch and single barrel
Stagg and Stagg jr-only tried Jr
I haven't had Old Charter or Benchmark so I can't speak to those

Also have only tried Blanton's (personally doesn't live to the hype, cool ass bottle though) and Ancient Age out of mashbill #2 but obviously Elmer T Lee and RHF are highly regarded as well.
Fall92
AG
I actually like Old Charter. It's a bottom shelfer bc it lacks the aging and maturity but it's pretty good. Like a lite bourbon.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Also have only tried Blanton's (personally doesn't live to the hype, cool ass bottle though) and Ancient Age out of mashbill #2 but obviously Elmer T Lee and RHF are highly regarded as well.
I agree on the Blantons.

Wow...didn't know RHF was a BT product. Is it actually produced in KY at the BT distillery or is it a Sazerac product produced at another plant?
John Francis Donaghy
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

I agree on the Blantons.

Wow...didn't know RHF was a BT product. Is it actually produced in KY at the BT distillery or is it a Sazerac product produced at another plant?

BT distillery. It's actually a "Version B" of Blantons, but bottled at 100 proof. Same mashbill, same approx. age.
agcrock2005
AG
Wish I had known all of this stuff 9 months ago when I was at the BT plant doing a tour. Appears they produce ALL of the bourbon that I like, excluding Elijah Craig.
jh0400
AG
IIRC, Bowman Brothers is also BT mash bill one juice that is shipped to VA, redistilled, and aged there.
Credible Source
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Wish I had known all of this stuff 9 months ago when I was at the BT plant doing a tour. Appears they produce ALL of the bourbon that I like, excluding Elijah Craig.

Im such an EC homer. Can't get enough
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm a pretty big Heaven Hill homer in general. Excited to tour the distillery this summer or fall.
the dude10
AG
Definitely do the tasting tour at heaven hill for $20. Worth it. Also the four roses tasting was good, and I stayed afterward and they let me try a few of the different private selections.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Planning on it. Read good things about it.

4R was on the list too
aggiemike89
AG
When you do the fall tour and tasting, pick up some of the WHH and HHSS. It's very good juice that's only available at their gift shop. The WHH barrel proof is REALLY good.
KVB07
AG
I went to liquor store recently and came away with 2 recommendations from the staff. One was. $10 bottle of Tom Sims that the guy swore would drink must higher priced than the $10 price tag. The second was Ben Milam. He said he and some friends blind tasted it with Blantons and 2 others and Ben Milam either beat Blantons or was a 2nd. Anyone have either of those?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Already planning on it. And maybe a EC hand grenade for the hell of it
Wheatables02
AG
KVB07 said:

I went to liquor store recently and came away with 2 recommendations from the staff. One was. $10 bottle of Tom Sims that the guy swore would drink must higher priced than the $10 price tag. The second was Ben Milam. He said he and some friends blind tasted it with Blantons and 2 others and Ben Milam either beat Blantons or was a 2nd. Anyone have either of those?

Total wine?
KVB07
AG
No. The Tom Sims was Specs, and the Ben Milam was twin liquors.
Wheatables02
AG
KVB07 said:

No. The Tom Sims was Specs, and the Ben Milam was twin liquors.
I've heard Milam is decent. I've never heard of Tom Sims and in my opinion, a lot of things readily available are better than Blanton's.
Wheatables02
AG

Wheatables02
AG
dp
dmart90
AG
Picked up a few things I hadn't tried before at the Twin Liquors $1 sale.
  • The Old Forester Single Barrel is surprisingly good - it's a store pick. Butterscotch and wood up front with a nice lingering heat at the end. Really solid juice!
  • The Blade and Bow is just flat. Buttery nose but no discernible flavor. Really disappointing. I had higher hopes.
  • The Wyoming Whiskey Small Batch Bourbon has an interesting taste. I'm not quite sure what it is, though. It's ok. The regular Wyoming Whiskey was better when I had it in Jackson, WY.

Got a couple more that I'll crack open later...
CharlieBrown17
AG
I know what I'm doing after my 9:10 tomorrow now
agcrock2005
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I know what I'm doing after my 9:10 tomorrow now
Good for you...when I was in college I didn't even know what bourbon was. Whatever liquor was free was what I was shooting.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'm sick as a dog this week...want a beer or bourbon so bad.

Instead I've got a low-ball of Robitussin which is now alcohol free.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Got a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye and then a reposado for the lady
bonfiresmoke
Fall92 said:

I actually like Old Charter. It's a bottom shelfer bc it lacks the aging and maturity but it's pretty good. Like a lite bourbon.
Old Charter was my drink back when they made 10 year old, 12 year old, and 13 year old. The 13 year old was called Proprietors Reserve. I still have a liter of the 10 and a handle of the 12. Just waiting for that SEC Championship to crack the seal. It will have to be an SEC Championship in football for the 12 to go down.
agcrock2005
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Got a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye and then a reposado for the lady

I also didn't have a lady. That's for the rest of your life. Sounds like you grew up too fast!
LawHall88
AG
So if the EU slaps a tariff on bourbon, is that good or bad for us American bourbon drinkers?

Quote:

Jean-Claude Juncker, the head of the European Union Commission, said that if the tariffs were implemented, the EU would impost its own tariffs on American productslike Harley-Davidson motorcycles and Kentucky bourbon items that notably come from the home states of House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
http://time.com/5183838/european-union-tariffs-donald-trump-bourbon-levis-harley-davidson/
John Francis Donaghy
BBC World News had an international trade expert on today talking about possible implications of the steel tariff. The very first thing she threw out as a possibility for a retaliation tariff was "Kentucky whiskey".

Higher consumer prices for bourbon abroad could lead to less foreign demand, which could result in more juice being kept in the US.
Credible Source
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

BBC World News had an international trade expert on today talking about possible implications of the steel tariff. The very first thing she threw out as a possibility for a retaliation tariff was "Kentucky whiskey".

Higher consumer prices for bourbon abroad could lead to less foreign demand, which could result in more juice being kept in the US.

Woohooo for tariffs!!
SACR
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

/everyone ITT dons MAGA hat
---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
FriedTex
AG
WOW, just watched NEAT: The Story of Bourbon and it was a heckuva documentary. Best doc I've seen on Bourbon this far- totally recommend it
agcrock2005
AG
Just finished it. That was really good.
First Page Last Page
Page 306 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.