Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,873,383 Views | 38763 Replies | Last: 9 sec ago by Aggie Therapist
FlyFish95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As long as you continue to see posts on FB of people saying the went "hunting" today and they have 7 bottles of something pretty average like W12 in their basket while acting like they just won the Powerball lottery, it ain't slowing down any time soon.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Folks are doing that now with WSR
aggiemike89
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Folks are doing that now with WSR
Are you sh**ting me? I haven't seen that yet. WSR is being hoarded? SMH.
austinag1997
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

aggiemike89 said:

It's crazy to look back at the progression of things that are "allocated" and so hard to find now that used to be so readily available. I remember when RHF sat on the shelf. I could got to any number of 4-5 stores that would have several on the shelf at any point in time. Same thing for W12. Heck back in 2012 I left an ORVW squat bottle on the shelf because I had a couple and wanted to leave it for someone else. Wonder if the market will ever level out? Doesn't seem to be. More people drinking bourbon and only so much of the older and allocated bourbons. Simple supply and demand economics I suppose.

The market will level out eventually. Tje thing about 12 to 23 year old bourbon is that it takes 12 to 23 years to make, which means producers have to produce today on speculation of demand over a decade in the future.

Bourbon was in very low demand for a long time, and was mostly considered mixing whiskey, while scotch was for sipping. Buffalo Trace went so far as to renovate two of its largest rickhouses into office space and lease them out to government agencies as a steadier source of cashflow, because there wasn't enough demand for their bourbons to justify filling all their rickhouses at once.

Then more and more people started "discovering" good bourbon, and bourbon makers hadn't been producing at nearly high enough levels to meet the demand. We've all watched bourbon makers re-balance their operations over the last 5-8 years, eliminating some less popular brands, removing age statements, holding back more barrels to age longer in order to increase production of older bourbons.

Those moves should start to pay off in the next few years as the results of those production chages start to hit bottling age, and the releases of super premium bourbons start to get larger. The current crunch won't last forever.

Not exactly. Why is 6-yr Handy still highly allocated? Answer... Sazerac likes it like that.
CactusThomas
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CactusThomas said:

Thanks.
It took me a long ass time to learn all these damn acronyms.

Yeah I've been trying to keep up but I'm in way over my head.
John Francis Donaghy
austinag1997 said:

aggiemike89 said:

It's crazy to look back at the progression of things that are "allocated" and so hard to find now that used to be so readily available. I remember when RHF sat on the shelf. I could got to any number of 4-5 stores that would have several on the shelf at any point in time. Same thing for W12. Heck back in 2012 I left an ORVW squat bottle on the shelf because I had a couple and wanted to leave it for someone else. Wonder if the market will ever level out? Doesn't seem to be. More people drinking bourbon and only so much of the older and allocated bourbons. Simple supply and demand economics I suppose.

The market will level out eventually. Tje thing about 12 to 23 year old bourbon is that it takes 12 to 23 years to make, which means producers have to produce today on speculation of demand over a decade in the future.

Bourbon was in very low demand for a long time, and was mostly considered mixing whiskey, while scotch was for sipping. Buffalo Trace went so far as to renovate two of its largest rickhouses into office space and lease them out to government agencies as a steadier source of cashflow, because there wasn't enough demand for their bourbons to justify filling all their rickhouses at once.

Then more and more people started "discovering" good bourbon, and bourbon makers hadn't been producing at nearly high enough levels to meet the demand. We've all watched bourbon makers re-balance their operations over the last 5-8 years, eliminating some less popular brands, removing age statements, holding back more barrels to age longer in order to increase production of older bourbons.

Those moves should start to pay off in the next few years as the results of those production chages start to hit bottling age, and the releases of super premium bourbons start to get larger. The current crunch won't last forever.

Not exactly. Why is 6-yr Handy still highly allocated? Answer... Sazerac likes it like that.

Sazerac likes selling Handy for less than $90 and letting retailers/flippers turn around and re-sell it for 3-4 times that amount and pocket the difference for themselves?
FTAG 2000
AG
Looks like all the Dallas area Total Wines had W12 today at the open.
tx4guns
AG
I hope nobody planned on not drinking during this game. SMH
Credible Source
AG
tx4guns said:

I hope nobody planned on not drinking during this game. SMH

I wish there was an emoji for eyes bleeding
Post removed:
by user
aggiemike89
AG
I would be totally worthless if I started pounding 114 at 1:00. I'm gonna stay with beer as long as I can.
Post removed:
by user
aggiemike89
AG
SHEEEEEEET. Mis read that.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ags finally retake the lead. I'd be so wasted by now.
RenoAg
That didn't last long.
gigemags87
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CactusThomas said:

Thanks.
It took me a long ass time to learn all these damn acronyms.

Courtesy of /r/bourbon

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1smJfhOgp-ObOZ0Va1a3QeWDqVxmFdqO-RnKZe5ap83c/edit?usp=sharing
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Buffalo trace can deny it all they want, but they definitely play allocation games, especially with Blantons.

Hell I was in Tennessee a week ago and stopped at 6-8 liquor stores and it was on the shelf at literally all of them, and more than 2 of the stores had full cases out on the floor.

Same thing with W12. Texas gets a sheetload of it, and other states get none... hence the secondary market for W12.
John Francis Donaghy
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Buffalo trace can deny it all they want, but they definitely play allocation games, especially with Blantons.

Hell I was in Tennessee a week ago and stopped at 6-8 liquor stores and it was on the shelf at literally all of them, and more than 2 of the stores had full cases out on the floor.

Same thing with W12. Texas gets a sheetload of it, and other states get none... hence the secondary market for W12.

Yeah, not every product gets distributed to every state. Some have regional distributions just to places where a particular label has a stronger historic brand identity. I know Ancient Ancient Age was only ever available in and around Kentucky, where it had a strong historic brand identity and demand. But that doesn't mean they're intentionally underproducing to fuel the secondary market. I do think it's time for BT to re-examine their allocations of some of their offerings though. Keep in mind it's only been a year or so since Blantons and W12 were readily available on shelves in Texas too. I'd blame that more on the army of flippers constantly crawling around Texas's shelves buying everything they can find than on BT for playing allocation games.
austinag1997
AG

austinag1997 said:

aggiemike89 said:

Sazerac likes selling Handy for less than $90 and letting retailers/flippers turn around and re-sell it for 3-4 times that amount and pocket the difference for themselves?

Sazerac could increase the production on a 6-yr bottle, yet they choose not to. You decide for yourself. A highly sought after rye that only takes 6 years to produce. C'mon... that's not the case of a sluggish response to demand.
John Francis Donaghy
austinag1997 said:

austinag1997 said:

aggiemike89 said:

Sazerac could increase the production on a 6-yr bottle, yet they choose not to. You decide for yourself. A highly sought after rye that only takes 6 years to produce. C'mon... that's not the case of a sluggish response to demand.

I don't think the rye is a good example to use. Not every drop of a batch of BT rye is going to end up as THH quality juice.

With the bourbons there are a lot of mid to upper-mid shelf offerings to absorb excess juice that doesn't make the cut for BTAC level products. How much demand is there for Baby Saz and would upping production of their rye mashbill enough to increase Handy production leave them with a oversupply of Baby Saz that nobody wants?

I would also think they're a bit gun shy to expand their facilities too much too fast, in case the premium bourbon craze passes before the can recoup the investment, and they have to start finding other uses for their excess rickhouses like they had to before.

I don't know any of that for fact. But I just don't believe that BT wants the secondary market to continue to generate tenfold profits on BT products for everyone but BT. It just doesn't make any sense.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Georgetown Specs has something on the shelf I'm not familiar with but sounds interesting.

It's a Maker's store pick that is finished with a a different set of oak staves. Anybody had it or have an opinion of it?
HouseDivided06
AG
Yep Maker's Private Select. I got a couple from Goody Goody in Dallas last year and really enjoyed it. Almost grabbed some today from Specs and wish I had. Lots of flavor at a decent price point.
FlyFish95
HouseDivided06 said:

Yep Maker's Private Select. I got a couple from Goody Goody in Dallas last year and really enjoyed it. Almost grabbed some today from Specs and wish I had. Lots of flavor at a decent price point.

I saw it for $62. Worth it?
HouseDivided06
AG
I generally see it for $55-$65 and think it's a good price for it. Others might not like it but I've shared some of mine and gotten good responses. I think the Makers Cask Strength and the Private Select are their best offerings. I will say though, the only ones I've had i think have had mostly the vanilla oak staves. Not too sweet but lots of good flavor. I'd give it a shot if you're curious.
FriedTex
AG
If you like wheaters you'd like this
SACR
AG
Elliot P. Campbell said:

not a big bourbon fan so i usually just have some makers around, but i did have this the other day and really enjoyed it

I bought some of this yesterday in Richardson. Lines 30 people deep at every register to deal with NYE demand.

They keep their bottles in a back closet. Is that because it is rare, or to prevent shoplifting?
aggielostinETX
AG
Limit 1 per customer
752bro4
AG
Where in Richardson?
austinag1997
AG

austinag1997 said:

austinag1997 said:

aggiemike89 said:

I don't think the rye is a good example to use. Not every drop of a batch of BT rye is going to end up as THH quality juice.

With the bourbons there are a lot of mid to upper-mid shelf offerings to absorb excess juice that doesn't make the cut for BTAC level products. How much demand is there for Baby Saz and would upping production of their rye mashbill enough to increase Handy production leave them with a oversupply of Baby Saz that nobody wants?

I would also think they're a bit gun shy to expand their facilities too much too fast, in case the premium bourbon craze passes before the can recoup the investment, and they have to start finding other uses for their excess rickhouses like they had to before.

I don't know any of that for fact. But I just don't believe that BT wants the secondary market to continue to generate tenfold profits on BT products for everyone but BT. It just doesn't make any sense.

Fair points. BT would have a difficult time expanding their facility. It would likely be a greenfield project. Their facility is ancient, and not in great shape.
the dude10
AG
So what would be the best juice to kill the flu bug? Everyone else in my house has the flu and I am determined to make my body a terrible host so I don't succumb to the same fate. I'm thinking stagg jr or maybe some ECBP. Maybe some rye spice would help?
aggielostinETX
AG
Tamiflu
the dude10
AG
Deats said:

Tamiflu

Just picked up my prescription for that as well. Maybe some blantons SFTB will help.
Wheatables02
AG
Tamiflu doesn't kill or prevent the flu. It has to run its course. Tamiflu on average lessens flu symptoms by one day.

I prefer old Weller antique.. my whole family had the flu this week and I only had light symptoms for a day.
aggielostinETX
AG
Tamiflu stopped the flu in my wife and my daughter in 24 hours. It was a miracle drug.
First Page Last Page
Page 295 of 1108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.