Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,872,546 Views | 38747 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by KDubAg
Credible Source
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Wuss

That's fair, but not gonna get me to drink it. I drank WAY atop much SAOS 11 year single barel last night. Picked it up yesterday. Sitting in the blind wishing I hadn't, but it's amazing
Post removed:
by user
the dude10
AG
I'm very interested in that, only problem is I'm in Austin. Cool idea tho!
austinag1997
AG
Carl Hungus said:

austinag1997 said:

Carl Hungus said:

the dude10 said:

austinag1997 said:

the dude10 said:

austinag1997 said:

Not only is the bourbon market tight, now there are secret side deals. WTF?!

I'll trade a GTS for a Thomas Handy if anyone wants that deal.

You have the stagg or Handy?

I have a GTS for trade. Sorry for the ambiguity.

That's what I thought I just wanted to make sure. I will take you up on that. I'm in Austin as well so we can do an in-person handoff. I will send you a pm to work it out

Damn good trade for the dude, I'd have taken that as well.

I can do it twice. The Dude gets the choice on the 2016 or 2017. You can have the other.

Let me know, I really Love Handy as well. Those are my two favorites but I got 4 Handy's and three GTS this year and GYS is my tops. Not a huge fan of the '16 hazmat tho, I've got one and it's too hot for me. If it's the '17 I'm probably in

The 2017 is spoken for.
Furious Styles
Late to the thread but picked up a 2017 William Larue Wellers for $100 and after some research I see it selling for $600-$900/ bottle. Seems to be super rare and now I don't want to open it. Anyone ever had it? Is it worth the special occasion im now putting on it?
austinag1997
AG
Furious Styles said:

Late to the thread but picked up a 2017 William Larue Wellers for $100 and after some research I see it selling for $600-$900/ bottle. Seems to be super rare and now I don't want to open it. Anyone ever had it? Is it worth the special occasion im now putting on it?

Tough bottle to source, and yes, it is very good. The only wheated of the BTAC. I got one a couple of years ago, and haven't opeded it either.
Furious Styles
Yea, the store owners said they get one bottle every 3-4 years. Almost Pappy like in its rarity. I'm leaning on hanging on to it for something big.
aggiemike89
AG
It's amazing juice. Any of the GTS releases I've had were my favorite before I opened my 2016 WLW. It's awesome. Open it. That's why you bought it.
Farmer1906
AG
Flip it.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Furious Styles said:

Should prob flip it to me for 100% profit...
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Honestly though drink it!
austinag1997
AG
You know... my strategy is collection of top bourbon. I drink daily bourbon that I can get year round and save the stuff that is hard to source. I rarely drink Pappy or BTAC. I went to Kentucky and loaded up on Willett juice, and drink those occasionally. One day I hope to retire and enjoy all the good juice I saved up. I trade here and there just to obtain my references. Sometimes others benefit. I'm good with that.

Im sure there are those of you that will critique my approach, and I'm good with that also.

So, I generally am not a "drink it cause you bought it guy."
showtime
AG
I am less hesitant to crack open a THH/WLW/GTS than other more "normal" proofs because they are considerably less likely to get skunky after being opened for a long time.
austinag1997
AG
I almost never drink proofed bourbon. Drinking ETL right now and not enjoying it. I look for barrel proof bourbons and ryes exclusively.

Stagg, Jr., Bookers, etc. barrel proof ryes are a challenge.
AlaskanAg99
AG
austinag1997 said:

I almost never drink proofed bourbon. Drinking ETL right now and not enjoying it. I look for barrel proof bourbons and ryes exclusively.

Send that ETL to me for disposal.
Post removed:
by user
AlaskanAg99
AG
third coast.. said:

You people suck or have desk jobs. No One wants to come drink and watch football tomorrow.

Desk job. And you live way the **** out in BFE.
plowboy1065
S
You just live too far from me on the NW Side
Post removed:
by user
AlaskanAg99
AG
third coast.. said:

I live like 2 seconds from NASA, y'all are boring

It's alotta seconds more from Katy.
austinag1997
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

austinag1997 said:

I can get 4 or 5 bottles assuming they are still there. $79.99. + tax.
AlaskanAg99
AG
austinag1997 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

austinag1997 said:

I can get 4 or 5 bottles assuming they are still there. $79.99. + tax.

That's full secondary prices, with shipping. I'll pass. Should be $40-50. I have an open plus a backup. I need a backup of RHF.
austinag1997
AG
Blanton's should be sub-$50, but I haven't seen it at price in close to 2 years.
plowboy1065
S
Yep I need a backup of RHF as well. Haven't seen it for a long dang time
CactusThomas
AG
Sorry, what is RHF?
plowboy1065
S
CactusThomas said:

Sorry, what is RHF?

If you don't know, you can't afford it
CactusThomas
AG
K
plowboy1065
S
Sorry, Super Troopers joke. It's Rock Hill Farms
aggielostinETX
AG
Rock Hill Farms
CactusThomas
AG
Thanks.
Farmer1906
AG
CactusThomas said:

Thanks.
It took me a long ass time to learn all these damn acronyms.
aggiemike89
AG
It's crazy to look back at the progression of things that are "allocated" and so hard to find now that used to be so readily available. I remember when RHF sat on the shelf. I could got to any number of 4-5 stores that would have several on the shelf at any point in time. Same thing for W12. Heck back in 2012 I left an ORVW squat bottle on the shelf because I had a couple and wanted to leave it for someone else. Wonder if the market will ever level out? Doesn't seem to be. More people drinking bourbon and only so much of the older and allocated bourbons. Simple supply and demand economics I suppose.
Farmer1906
AG
I think it'll level out in 10 years when supply can ramp up.
John Francis Donaghy
aggiemike89 said:

It's crazy to look back at the progression of things that are "allocated" and so hard to find now that used to be so readily available. I remember when RHF sat on the shelf. I could got to any number of 4-5 stores that would have several on the shelf at any point in time. Same thing for W12. Heck back in 2012 I left an ORVW squat bottle on the shelf because I had a couple and wanted to leave it for someone else. Wonder if the market will ever level out? Doesn't seem to be. More people drinking bourbon and only so much of the older and allocated bourbons. Simple supply and demand economics I suppose.

The market will level out eventually. Tje thing about 12 to 23 year old bourbon is that it takes 12 to 23 years to make, which means producers have to produce today on speculation of demand over a decade in the future.

Bourbon was in very low demand for a long time, and was mostly considered mixing whiskey, while scotch was for sipping. Buffalo Trace went so far as to renovate two of its largest rickhouses into office space and lease them out to government agencies as a steadier source of cashflow, because there wasn't enough demand for their bourbons to justify filling all their rickhouses at once.

Then more and more people started "discovering" good bourbon, and bourbon makers hadn't been producing at nearly high enough levels to meet the demand. We've all watched bourbon makers re-balance their operations over the last 5-8 years, eliminating some less popular brands, removing age statements, holding back more barrels to age longer in order to increase production of older bourbons.

Those moves should start to pay off in the next few years as the results of those production chages start to hit bottling age, and the releases of super premium bourbons start to get larger. The current crunch won't last forever.
First Page Last Page
Page 294 of 1108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.