Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,750,810 Views | 37570 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by prl81
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

boboguitar
AG
BigAggie06
AG
I am relatively new to the Whiskey/Scotch/Bourbon scene.

Right bow I am sipping on some W.L. Weller, I have some Buffalo Trace in the cabinet, and I had a glass of Macallan 12 scotch last night when I read the SEC news.

That is about my extent so any more suggestions are welcome.
lo2010
Woodford, angels envy, basil Hayden & makers

[This message has been edited by Lo2010 (edited 9/26/2011 7:12p).]
PN likes this.
lo2010

[This message has been edited by Lo2010 (edited 9/26/2011 9:51p).]
lo2010

[This message has been edited by Lo2010 (edited 9/26/2011 9:51p).]
lo2010

Awesome glass with awesome woodford. We opened these glasses tonight! Whoop SEC celebration.

[This message has been edited by Lo2010 (edited 9/26/2011 9:55p).]
Buck Compton
AG
dave99ag
AG
Basil Hayden and plan on picking up a bottle of Garrison Brothers once it is released in November.
jobu93
AG
I've got a little bit left of my Garrison Brothers. Wonderful stuff. I'm hoping they pick me to help them bottle the new batch. I give them two days of work, they give me a new bottle.

win-win!
dave99ag
AG
A friend of mine did just that recently.
Preferred Nomenclature
AG
I want to try Garrison Brothers badly. Pretty good huh?
biochemistry ag
AG
my latest Sauveur magazine put a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel as one of their top whiskeys, I was surprised and intrigued.

at only $25 a bottle I'm excited to try some.
GregZeppelin
AG
lo2010: I have Woodford, Basil Hayden's and Makers.

But what is Angel's Envy? I've never heard of such an thing...
lo2010
Louisville Distilling Company's new bourbon. I like it more than basil - it'll prob be my #2 after woodford.
fatherof4
Bookers is so smooth, it's the best.
Atty_Ag
Love Garrison Brothers!

The November batch is aged 30 months, but will be called two year old. It is the best yet. My dad and I got to bottle this past week. you will not be disappointed.
Atty_Ag
Oh, and IMO, best bang for your buck is Elijah Craig 12 year old at only $26 a bottle.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
not a big bourbon fan so i usually just have some makers around, but i did have this the other day and really enjoyed it

showtime
AG
I am very interested in Garrison Bros. but simultaneously wary after my experience with Balcones. I would be more than happy to help out down there at the distillery in exchange for a bottle. Or I'd just buy one.

Anyone tried both Balcones (primarily baby blue) and Garrison Bros. and have an opinion on how they compare?

How else might one get a hold of a bottle?
showtime
AG
oh, and my contribution to the thread....

I've been busy hunting this stuff down the last few months.

[This message has been edited by showtime (edited 10/2/2011 9:59p).]
Atty_Ag
showtime,

I've had both Baby Blue and all four releases of Garrison. (1 year old young gun pre-release, fall 2010, spring 2011, and fall 2011). I did not like the Balcones at all. It had not been aged! Even the one year old Garrison was far superior to Balcones. I gave my Balcones away I hated it so much.

Garrison keeps getting better with every release. You will not be disappointed. We bottled the first of 7500 bottles last week. They will arrive at the Austin Spec's and Twin Liquors toward the end of October after they first go to the distributor (Republic). You can also buy them at the Austin Costco in the separate liquor store area. You don't have to be a member to shop there.

Other bottles will be available in Hye, Fredericksburg, Johnson City, and Blanco. I think they will also be in San Antonio. There will not be any sent to Dallas or Houston on the first release, but that might change.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
There will not be any sent to Dallas or Houston on the first release, but that might change.

I do not like this one bit. Guess I'll have to make a trip down to Austin.
showtime
AG
can I sign up to help on the website? or do I need to know someone. would be happy to make the trip down to help, and I have a friend or two in their area who'd be interested as well.

jobu93
AG
I think they are only taking alternates as of right now, but I would visit the garrison brothers web page and offer up your time. You never know what may happen.

I didn't like Balcones one bit, but Garrison has had my admiration from the first sip I had. I'm really kicking myself for not buying 2 bottles.
showtime
AG
what price point are we talking for Garrison Bros?
agbq06
AG
Unicyclist,

Blanton's is amazing. You beat me to it!
Atty_Ag
If you want to bottle, you have to be on the list. To be on the list, you have to sign up here: http://blog.garrisonbros.com/

I first heard about it about four years ago from a friend who owns property in Stonewall. He told me this guy was creating a Bourbon distillery next door. I thought that sounded great, so I kept an ear out for news. They released their first batch as a one year old to raise capital in fall of 2009. It was a 375ml bottle for $50. My dad and I went and toured it in March of 2010. We got to know Dan. So when they issued the first call for bottling volunteers, we got to do it. You had to have been on their email list.

Now, people who have bottled before get first dibs on doing it again. They notified us in advance of the rest of the newsletter crowd. Dan and Laurel said that they filled all their spots for this round, consisting of about 100 volunteers at about five to eight people per day.

It sells for $75 per bottle, so he's charging a premium. It is definitely worth it for all the effort put into it. Volunteers get breakfast, lunch, and periodic quality control samplings. You spend the day being politically incorrect, listening to outlaw country, and generally having a good time. At the end of two days, you get a signed bottle, a t-shirt or hat, and a key chain.

Tours are available like you would tour a winery. They are pitching the distillery as a location for bachelor parties, rehearsal dinners, and other functions. I've been out there four times. It's always fun.
showtime
AG
I emailed Laurel a little while after I found the website. Here's hoping for February. Would love for it to turn out to be something I enjoy along the lines of the PVW and the William Larue barrel strength.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
i hear ya agbq, it was good stuff

my friend mixed his with coke which left me completely dumbfounded and embarrassed for him...ridiculous >
Tooth Midget
Showtime, where did you find the Pappy van winkle?
Atty_Ag
With all this Bourbon talk, I stopped by Costco in Austin. They had about six bottles of the Garrison spring 2011 release for only $69.99. That's the cheapest I've ever seen it.

While there, I picked up a bottle of Angel's Envy for $39.97. I really like it.

The liquor store at Costco has a small selection, but what they do have is usually priced competitively.
jobu93
AG
That does it... My next business trip out to Austin I'm going to attempt to grab another bottle.

I'm currently on the January list for volunteers. Fingers crossed.
showtime
AG
jobu -

I talked to Laurel at Garrison Bros. and they have had some cancellations for the next few weeks and may need volunteers. You might get in touch and see.

quote:
Showtime, where did you find the Pappy van winkle?

I have spent the last six months scouring stores in the Metroplex and meeting store managers/assistant managers. All that work has resulted in those 6 bottles since the end of May, plus a bottle of Van Winkle Rye that I regretfully didn't buy. Most of those stores have lists and will call when they get some, but from time to time, it will still amazingly be sitting on a random shelf in a random place. I find myself stopping at stores I've never been to more and more often, almost like a hobby. Which I guess it's become.
Last Page
Page 1 of 1074

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.