Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,858,236 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by ryeguy
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Well I was finally able to pop my Pappy cherry last night.

Went to Brenners on the Bayou and they had 10 year up through 23 year. Had the 10 and 12 and both were great.

I had 20 or 23 years and years ago there. It was my first real experience with nice bourbon. I think it was the first big step in my bourbon infactiation.
RenoAg
This EC18 after some jalepeno sausage tacos is divine. Or it could be that my palate is a bit too easy ffom drinkin too much earlier.
Credible Source
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Well I was finally able to pop my Pappy cherry last night.

Went to Brenners on the Bayou and they had 10 year up through 23 year. Had the 10 and 12 and both were great.

Why not do the 23 if it was right in front of you?
Farmer1906
AG
Price?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Pretty sure they have pappy 23 at the republic in CS...
bonfiresmoke
Nuke LaLoosh said:

GET IT TOGETHER MAN!

Buddy ran into 3 bottles of blantons today... for $100/pop
I just picked up two in Louisiana for $59.00 each.
bonfiresmoke
Nuke LaLoosh said:

They did have some at West End Elixir Company in College Station.
FlyFish95
bonfiresmoke said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

They did have some at West End Elixir Company in College Station.
How much?
jh0400
AG
I must be missing something with PVW. I tried the 20 a while back and thought it was good but not worth the money. I wish they'd bottle the older versions at 100+ like they do the 10 year ORVW or PVW 15.
FlyFish95
jh0400 said:

I must be missing something with PVW. I tried the 20 a while back and thought it was good but not worth the money. I wish they'd bottle the older versions at 100+ like they do the 10 year ORVW or PVW 15.
Given that it all have very low inherent value, it's never truly worth what you pay.
John Francis Donaghy
jh0400 said:

You're not missing anything. They aren't that great.

Don't get me wrong, they're very good bourbons. But there are a lot of very good bourbons out there. The Van Winkles aren't worth anywhere near what people are paying for them these days.
schmellba99
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

jh0400 said:

Don't get me wrong, they're very good bourbons. But there are a lot of very good bourbons out there. The Van Winkles aren't worth anywhere near what people are paying for them these days.

That can honestly be said for almost anything priced over about $50.
John Francis Donaghy
schmellba99 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

jh0400 said:

That can honestly be said for almost anything priced over about $50.

I agree 100%. For example, Bookers is one of my favorites to keep on hand, but now that it's gone up to $65-ish per, I'm not sure I'm going to bother keeping it around anymore. Too many great bottles in the 35-50 range to throw the extra $20 away on something that isn't appreciably better.

As much as I love bourbon, the restrictions on how it must be made to be labelled as bourbon make it so that there isn't really all that much variation. It isn't like scotch, which has a really wide range of different flavors depending on how and where it was made. Bourbon is pretty much bourbon. There are good ones, great ones, and mediocre ones, but in the end they're all a lot more similar than they are different.
Credible Source
AG
Just picked up a few Willet Pot Stills and a Noah's mill. Also grabbed a few I'm not familiar with because the guy said I should. Walking Stick and Bell Meaded Madeira. Anybody had those? At Specs so all MSRP
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I'm completely with you on bookers. At the prices now there are way better options out there. On the flip side, it's all over the shelves now which is definitely different.

Been able to find WIllett pot still on the shelves a bunch lately which, for the money, is my top pick right now...
jh0400
AG
Belle Meade Madeira is good, but I likely wouldn't spend $70 on it again.
Credible Source
AG
When i drink bookers it tastes like black licorice, not a fan.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Big fan of the pot still, and I've heard good things about belle Meade Madeira. Haven't heard anything/tasted walking stick.
Fall92
AG
My wife and I really like the Walking Stick. We were put on to it at several stores while looking for Blanton's.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ah the bourbon I've bought while looking for blantons...
HouseDivided06
AG
I thought walking stick was too fruity and sweet personally. Didn't hate it but considered buying it and aging it in my barrel for a bit to get some more oak in it. Curious your thoughts when you have it. I generally stay in the $35-$50 range but the other day picked up a Makers Private Select from Goody Goody for $65 and really enjoy it. My favorite is still probably Noah's Mill but I'm currently out of it. Been trying to grab a couple of the Old Grandad 114's each time I see them since they'll go out of stock soon. As crazy as prices have gone, there are still really solid bottles for less than $50 even though I still get pulled offsides sometimes and grab a Bookers or something just for grins. Also color me a huge fan of Russell's Reserve 10 year Single Barrel.
BQRyno
AG
If I read correctly, OGD114 isn't getting pulled anymore. Looked like they thought about discontinuing it, but decided last month to keep it going. Am I wrong on that?
John Francis Donaghy
BQRyno said:

If I read correctly, OGD114 isn't getting pulled anymore. Looked like they thought about discontinuing it, but decided last month to keep it going. Am I wrong on that?

I was under the impression it was being discontinued, but this guys site says they decided not to kill the brand. No idea who he is, or if he knows what he's talking about. But I hope he's right.

Quote:

The folks at Beam Suntory have been mulling over the fate of this small but beloved expression of their high-rye bourbon. Late last year, the word was that it 'probably' would be discontinued in 2017, but the final decision hadn't been made. Shipments from the distillery were stopped for a few months due to supply constraints while the number-crunchers worked out whether or not it made sense to continue the product going forward.

They decided that it does.

Shipments will resume shortly and availability should improve in the second quarter.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2017/02/dont-cry-for-old-grand-dad-114.html?m=1
TGoll09
AG
Chuck Cowdery is one of the most respected bourbon writers/bloggers there is. If he says OGD 114 isn't going anywhere, I would believe him.
Wheatables02
AG
TGoll09 said:

Chuck Cowdery is one of the most respected bourbon writers/bloggers there is. If he says OGD 114 isn't going anywhere, I would believe him.
This.

About 3 months ago Beam Suntory stated they weren't going to discontinue it but its longevity is unknown.
FlyFish95
Carl Hungus said:

When i drink bookers it tastes like black licorice, not a fan.
Definitely not what I get. Booker's is awesome.
Fall92
AG
I know they're not rare, but the Spec's on Weslayan in Houston has several cases of Willett Pot Still FR and plenty of Rowan's and Noah's Mill if anyone's looking for these.
John Francis Donaghy
In that case, I'll probably open one of my OGD 114 bottles tonight.
dummble
AG
Facebook rumor, Total Wine is buying two Goody Goody locations in Houston. Bourbon and Humble related since Total Wine is always cheaper than GG and Specs on my go to (pretty much all Buffalo Trace products)
bonfiresmoke
Another great trip to Louisiana this past weekend. The lady told me they get three bottles every two weeks.

Wheatables02
AG
bonfiresmoke said:

Another great trip to Louisiana this past weekend. The lady told me they get three bottles every two weeks.

Congrats. My palate doesn't care for Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, Hancock's, or the Bowman Small Batch or Single barrel. Those are all the same mashbill. I do like Blanton's STFB though. It's better than Eagle Rare 17.
BeardofZeus01
AG
I'm a big fan of ETL, if you have anymore bunkered, I'll happily take them off your hands for cash/trade.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Hancock's and Bowman don't show on the Buffalo Trace Distillery website...never heard of them or seen them mentioned here that I recall either.
aggiemike89
AG
They are both BT products. The Hancock's comes in at I think 80 proof so it's pretty tame for my taste buds. Never had the Bowmans.
Wheatables02
AG
The Bowmans are a good substitute for Blanton 's and ETL when you can't find them.

And I'm all outta ETL cjaetzold
First Page Last Page
Page 233 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.